Re: Virginia Police Caught On Video Drawing Guns On Black Army Lieutenant During Traffic Stop

ARC1107 wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:01 pm This whole situation is fucked up but, I have an issue with this article.
At one point, Gutierrez told Nazario he was “fixin’ to ride the lightning,” a reference to the electric chair which was also a line from the movie “The Green Mile,” a film about a Black man facing execution.
ok so what the cop probably meant was he was going to use his taser not that he was going to send the guy to the electric chair.

It's an allegation made by Nazario in his lawsuit, it will be subject to scrutiny during trial unless parties reach a settlement before then.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Re: Virginia Police Caught On Video Drawing Guns On Black Army Lieutenant During Traffic Stop

highdesert wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:04 am We had the 2009 case in the Bay Area of a BART cop responding to a report of a fight in a train, he had a perp on the ground and shot him. The cop said he thought he grabbed his taser not his gun. He was convicted of involuntary manslaughter and got 2 years.
You're speaking of Johannes Mehserle, and he actually served less than a year of time.
"SF Liberal With A Gun + Free Software Advocate"
http://www.sanfranciscoliberalwithagun.com/
http://www.liberalsguncorner.com/

YankeeTarheel wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:47 am Someone on FB pointed out that when a BLACK cop accidently shot and killed a WHITE woman in Minnesota, despite admitting his error and apologizing, got 12 years in prison. Bet this WHITE cop who "accidentally" shot a BLACK man is found to have done "nothing wrong", just like the cop in Kinosha who shot a man 7 times in the back with his hand on the victim's shoulder "did nothing wrong". The video shows her holding her Glock on the young man. I don't know much about Tasers but I wouldn't bet a plug nickel that you can't tell a Taser from a Glock!
I remember that one, too. Definitely racial bias in that. Where's the 12 years for the White cops who shoot Black people?

And so many of my White Conservative brothers and sisters seriously express wonder at why so many Black people don't trust the police...!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbkMqLj1X6g
"SF Liberal With A Gun + Free Software Advocate"
http://www.sanfranciscoliberalwithagun.com/
http://www.liberalsguncorner.com/

CowboyT wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:13 pm
highdesert wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:04 am We had the 2009 case in the Bay Area of a BART cop responding to a report of a fight in a train, he had a perp on the ground and shot him. The cop said he thought he grabbed his taser not his gun. He was convicted of involuntary manslaughter and got 2 years.
You're speaking of Johannes Mehserle, and he actually served less than a year of time.
Yes, the Oscar Grant case. Guess they gave Mehserle credit for time served.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

CowboyT wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:14 pm
YankeeTarheel wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:47 am Someone on FB pointed out that when a BLACK cop accidently shot and killed a WHITE woman in Minnesota, despite admitting his error and apologizing, got 12 years in prison. Bet this WHITE cop who "accidentally" shot a BLACK man is found to have done "nothing wrong", just like the cop in Kinosha who shot a man 7 times in the back with his hand on the victim's shoulder "did nothing wrong". The video shows her holding her Glock on the young man. I don't know much about Tasers but I wouldn't bet a plug nickel that you can't tell a Taser from a Glock!
I remember that one, too. Definitely racial bias in that. Where's the 12 years for the White cops who shoot Black people?

And so many of my White Conservative brothers and sisters seriously express wonder at why so many Black people don't trust the police...!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbkMqLj1X6g

I remember it, the case of Justine Ruszczyk in Minneapolis, MN/ The cop who shot her was Mohammed Noor, he was sentenced to 12.5 years. Different states and different laws.
The sentence for Mr. Noor far surpassed the term of probation Mr. Noor’s lawyers sought, but it fell within state guidelines for his crimes. He was convicted by a jury in April of third-degree murder, which carried a maximum sentence of 25 years in prison, and second-degree manslaughter, which could have led to as many as 10 years in prison.
In the few other recent cases where an American police officer has been convicted of murder, they have often avoided the harshest possible sentence. Jason Van Dyke, a white former Chicago officer convicted of second-degree murder and other crimes in the death of Laquan McDonald, a black teenager who was shot 16 times, was sentenced this year to just under seven years; prosecutors had called for at least 18 years. In Balch Springs, Tex., Roy D. Oliver II, a white officer convicted of murder in the death of Jordan Edwards, who was black and 15 years old, was sentenced last year to 15 years; the prosecution was seeking at least 60 years.
In court on Friday, Mr. Noor said he shot to defend his partner. But he acknowledged the pain he had caused Ms. Ruszczyk’s family.
At his trial, Mr. Noor said he feared for his life when he saw Ms. Ruszczyk approaching his cruiser and made a split-second decision to shoot. “She could have had a weapon,” Mr. Noor said in court.

Lawyers for Mr. Noor have acknowledged that Ms. Ruszczyk in fact posed no threat. She had been holding a cellphone and standing outside a rolled-down window of the squad car when she was shot.
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/07/us/m ... -noor.html

Police chief says no apology is necessary to Black Army Lt. who was pepper sprayed

PETERSBURG, Va. — While he said he felt bad for how the events of a traffic-stop late last year unfolded, the police chief of the town where a Black and Latino military officer from Petersburg, Virginia, was accosted by two of his officers said Wednesday that he does not think the soldier is in need of an official apology.

In response, Army Lt. Caron Nazario's legal team said Windsor Police Department Chief Rodney D. Riddle "continues a false narrative" of the case and blaming their client for initiating it. They said the video of the stop "shows otherwise" that their client was nothing but compliant.

"I'm gonna own what we did," Riddle said about the stop during a news conference Wednesday in the Isle of Wight County, Virginia, community where Nazario was stopped last December while on his way home. "My guys missed opportunities to verbally de-escalate that thing and change that outcome."

When asked by a reporter if Nazario was owed an apology for that, Riddle replied: "I don't believe that," adding he wished the driver "would have complied a whole lot earlier."

Video of the traffic stop at a BP gas station in Windsor, Virginia — about 50 miles southeast of Petersburg — shows officers Joe Gutierrez and Daniel Crocker, with guns drawn, ordering Nazario out of his vehicle after he was stopped for allegedly not having a rear license tag. Nazario was returning to Petersburg following an assignment.

Gutierrez, the closest to Nazario in the video, repeatedly tells Nazario to get out while Nazario repeatedly asks why he was stopped.

Army Lt. Caron Nazario case: NAACP calls to end qualified immunity in Virginia after police officer pepper-sprayed Black and Latino Army officer

At one point, Gutierrez reaches for his taser and threatens Nazario with "riding the lightning," an idiom for tasering. He later sprays Nazario in the face with oleoresin capsicum, commonly called pepper spray.

Nazario was eventually pulled out of the car and placed in handcuffs on the ground. Eventually, the officers notice that the rear tag was taped to the inside of the rear windshield, and they let him go. According to the video, they told Nazario to keep quiet about the stop under the threat of facing more charges.

That happened on Dec. 5, 2020. Earlier this month, Nazario's attorney filed a $1 million lawsuit against the officers in Norfolk federal court.

Gutierrez, a field training officer for the seven-person Windsor police department, was fired following an internal investigation by the department. Crocker, a Windsor native and rookie on the force, was disciplined because Riddle said in the video, he noticed Crocker attempting to diffuse the tension.

"If you've watched the video, officer Crocker makes an effort to de-escalate that situation verbally when he changes his pitch, his tone, his demeanor," said Riddle, adding he has known Crocker since he was 14 years old. "That is somebody right there who has the makings of being a policeman that sees, that understands what's important."

Both the Virginia State Police and the Federal Bureau of Investigation are conducting external investigations into the traffic stop.

As for Gutierrez, Riddle said the decision to fire him was a combination of the results of the investigation plus what the chief saw on the video. "As a result of all those things, I've lost my confidence in him to be able to effectively engage this community," Riddle said.

While not condoning the way the situation played out on the video, Riddle defended the way in which the officers initially handled the events leading up to the stop. Nazario claims in his lawsuit that he did not stop right away when he saw the police lights because he was looking for a well-lighted to pull into where everyone would be safe.

"There were things that led up to that traffic stop, there were certain actions that Mr. Nazario took that raised red flags for those officers based on their training," Riddle said. "They may be dealing with something beyond an ordinary run-of-the-mill stop. Those officers initially reacted relatively well in my opinion."

The chief said he has not spoken with Nazario or his lawyer about the incident, adding he was glad no one was seriously hurt in the stop.

Nazario's legal team begged to differ.

"OC spray hurts," attorneys Jonathan Arthur and Andrew Bodoh said in a statement released by their office. "Being threatened with 'riding the lightning' hurts. Being told you should be afraid to follow police commands hurts."

Riddle called the ensuing actions "a teachable moment' in how not to handle such issues in a calm manner. "That was inappropriate and created unnecessary fear in Mr. Nazario," Riddle said.

At one point in the video, Nazario was heard saying he was "afraid" to get out. Gutierrez responded, "You should be."

"That was inexcusable," Riddle said of Gutierrez's comment.

Nazario's lawyers contend that their client obeyed the officers' request to stop by using the turn signal to show he was looking for a safe place to stop. They also said Nazario responded quickly to each of the commands.

"The Officers’ decision not to communicate information to allay Lieutenant Nazario’s reasonable fears of facing guns, despite Lieutenant Nazario’s compliance, continued the one-sided escalation of this interaction," the statement from Arthur and Bodoh read.

"The chief continues a false narrative and victim-blaming," they said. "He claims Second Lieutenant Nazario did not comply. The video shows otherwise."
https://news.yahoo.com/no-apology-owed- ... 05315.html

Had that been a white man in that car these events would never have happened and had they same events happened the chief would have been all over himself with apologizing and kissing ass.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

What I've heard from others who viewed the video. It's at night, the Windsor cops spotted the SUV without plates, the windows on the SUV looked heavily tinted so the temp license in the rear window probably wasn't visible. They turned on the reds and blues and the vehicle kept going, it was estimated it went a mile before pulling over. The driver said he was looking for a well lit place to pull over, but the cops didn't know that, to them he appeared to be evading. Then when they get to the gas station with weapons pulled they ask the driver to get out, but he refuses to comply. Even at the gas station they can't see in the vehicle so ask him how many people in the vehicle, he said himself and his dog. It could have been handled better on both sides.

Virginia State Police are investigating so it will be interesting to read their report.