Re: Hankerin'

YankeeTarheel wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:14 pm
TrueTexan wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:56 pm Buffalo Bore has some 357s that exceed the energy of a 30/30 out of a Marlin 1894 18.5 inch barrel.

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l ... tail&p=100
They have a button "SHOOTERS FOR TRUMP" so they can go FUCK themselves!
Sounds like they are looking to support illegal, traitorous insurrectionist "militia".
I still have one box of 20 cartridges Buffalo Bore Colt New Police (AKA 38 S&W flat nose) but it's been sitting in the carry box since before 2016.
To be vintage it must be older than me!
The next gun I buy will be the next to last gun I ever buy. PROMISE!
jim

INVICTVS138 wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:39 am
I have a “trapper length” .357 one that I picked up early last year. I love it. I think mine must have been one of the last production guns before they added the side gate to the line up. Honestly the side gate is a nice addition - but not it’s not really any big deal to flip it while slung from the shoulder and load via the magazine tube. If you reload .38/.357 it’s an economical and fun rifle to shoot.

I’m going try and score one of the Henry “X models” in .45 colt when I can in the future. I like the more pistol type grip, and the oval loop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This one's in stock.

https://www.finfeatherfur.com/henry-big ... ion-rifle/

YankeeTarheel wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:14 pm
TrueTexan wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:56 pm Buffalo Bore has some 357s that exceed the energy of a 30/30 out of a Marlin 1894 18.5 inch barrel.

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l ... tail&p=100
They have a button "SHOOTERS FOR TRUMP" so they can go FUCK themselves!
Sounds like they are looking to support illegal, traitorous insurrectionist "militia".
I've been looking at Underwood. They don't have that bloody button, but they have some similar loadings. Not necessarily in stock, but. Worth looking at.

Everyone who owns a .357 lever says it's the most fun gun they ever shoot. Ultimately the biggest draw for me. Unless the gods are cruel, I'll never use a firearm defensively - not gonna lie, it's always a consideration. I don't hunt at present, and if I did I'd probably focus on invasives. We have some hog issues in the Buckeye. There's a lot to be said for .357 - or .44, for that matter. Owning more calibers means more flexibility during a shortage, but that isn't an issue with properly deep stocks.
Going with the carbine would just increase the incentive to reload, solving other problems.

Without a practical purpose for shooting, outside of sport and defensive training, .22LR can do everything I need. Everything bigger is about kinesthetics. Damn, I like the kinesthetics of .45 in a handgun. And I prefer handguns ATM. Does not eliminate the hankering.

wings wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:33 pm
Everyone who owns a .357 lever says it's the most fun gun they ever shoot.
Yup. I like shooting all my guns, but the .357 Marlin is DEFINITELY the most fun!
That includes a Kel-Tec Sub2K and a Windham Hunter (AR-10 .308)
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

I am actually selling my Henry Big Boy, 357 magnum, brass receiver and replacing it with a .357 bolt action rifle. I've had it since august. I wanted to love it but I never got it to group right. I tried many different cartridges and lightened the trigger but was never completely satisfied with it . And the barrel is super heavy.After shooting 14 or 21 rounds I just couldn't hold steady. Its so pretty though and it is fun to shoot and work the lever though, I might get a different lever gun. I like the .357 magnum and I have a revolver to match. The bolt action I am getting is pretty cool, it's a Ruger 77/357, very light stainless steel very similar to a 10/22 but finished much nicer.

cooper wrote:
INVICTVS138 wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:39 am
I have a “trapper length” .357 one that I picked up early last year. I love it. I think mine must have been one of the last production guns before they added the side gate to the line up. Honestly the side gate is a nice addition - but not it’s not really any big deal to flip it while slung from the shoulder and load via the magazine tube. If you reload .38/.357 it’s an economical and fun rifle to shoot.

I’m going try and score one of the Henry “X models” in .45 colt when I can in the future. I like the more pistol type grip, and the oval loop.

This one's in stock.

https://www.finfeatherfur.com/henry-big ... ion-rifle/
It’s not a terrible price either ... I blew my Joe Biden fun $ on a Benelli already.

featureless wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:47 pm I've got a Ruger Mark II that would be perfect for snake shot. I really don't want to kill 'em, but... There are too many around to relocate and I can't have my dog get eaten. She will absolutely screw with snakes. One of her favorite pastimes in the yard is hunting lizards.
You should be able to find a snake avoidance class for your dog for around $100. Even if you have to refresh every few years, it's still a great investment.
If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there - George Harrison
Don't go where the road don't go - Ringo Starr

Pomme wrote:I am actually selling my Henry Big Boy, 357 magnum, brass receiver and replacing it with a .357 bolt action rifle. I've had it since august. I wanted to love it but I never got it to group right. I tried many different cartridges and lightened the trigger but was never completely satisfied with it . And the barrel is super heavy.After shooting 14 or 21 rounds I just couldn't hold steady. Its so pretty though and it is fun to shoot and work the lever though, I might get a different lever gun. I like the .357 magnum and I have a revolver to match. The bolt action I am getting is pretty cool, it's a Ruger 77/357, very light stainless steel very similar to a 10/22 but finished much nicer.
I’ve never been able to find a 77/357 locally, or without resorting to gunbrokers’ inflated prices. If you have the drop on one - i’d scoop it up fast.

INVICTVS138 wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:00 pm
Pomme wrote:I am actually selling my Henry Big Boy, 357 magnum, brass receiver and replacing it with a .357 bolt action rifle. I've had it since august. I wanted to love it but I never got it to group right. I tried many different cartridges and lightened the trigger but was never completely satisfied with it . And the barrel is super heavy.After shooting 14 or 21 rounds I just couldn't hold steady. Its so pretty though and it is fun to shoot and work the lever though, I might get a different lever gun. I like the .357 magnum and I have a revolver to match. The bolt action I am getting is pretty cool, it's a Ruger 77/357, very light stainless steel very similar to a 10/22 but finished much nicer.
I’ve never been able to find a 77/357 locally, or without resorting to gunbrokers’ inflated prices. If you have the drop on one - i’d scoop it up fast.

I didn't know about the 77/357 until just a few weeks ago when I saw one on youtube, I've been obsessed about it ever since. I finally got to see and touch one in real life when I did the transfer at the gun store. Now I still have one week before I can take it home.

Pomme wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:50 pm I didn't know about the 77/357 until just a few weeks ago when I saw one on youtube, I've been obsessed about it ever since. I finally got to see and touch one in real life when I did the transfer at the gun store. Now I still have one week before I can take it home.
I really hope for your sake that you're set up to reload, because you're going to want to shoot that 77/357 on a regular basis. Same goes for a levergun. They're just plain FUN! Shooting a light .38 Special out of such a gun really is almost like shooting a .22LR, maybe a .22 Magnum. I call it "the reloadable .22". If you're not set up to reload...consider doing so, if you can.
"SF Liberal With A Gun + Free Software Advocate"
http://www.sanfranciscoliberalwithagun.com/
http://www.liberalsguncorner.com/

CowboyT wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:59 pm
Pomme wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:50 pm I didn't know about the 77/357 until just a few weeks ago when I saw one on youtube, I've been obsessed about it ever since. I finally got to see and touch one in real life when I did the transfer at the gun store. Now I still have one week before I can take it home.
I really hope for your sake that you're set up to reload, because you're going to want to shoot that 77/357 on a regular basis. Same goes for a levergun. They're just plain FUN! Shooting a light .38 Special out of such a gun really is almost like shooting a .22LR, maybe a .22 Magnum. I call it "the reloadable .22". If you're not set up to reload...consider doing so, if you can.
Yes I do reload, 38 special and .357

Pomme wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:39 am I am actually selling my Henry Big Boy, 357 magnum, brass receiver and replacing it with a .357 bolt action rifle. I've had it since august. I wanted to love it but I never got it to group right. I tried many different cartridges and lightened the trigger but was never completely satisfied with it . And the barrel is super heavy.After shooting 14 or 21 rounds I just couldn't hold steady. Its so pretty though and it is fun to shoot and work the lever though, I might get a different lever gun. I like the .357 magnum and I have a revolver to match. The bolt action I am getting is pretty cool, it's a Ruger 77/357, very light stainless steel very similar to a 10/22 but finished much nicer.
Pity, My Marlin 1894 is nothing like that. It's quite light, and you NEVER get tired of racking the lever and firing! I wondered if the Henry's barrel was too heavy.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

Thanks for those links, Keenan. I'm fiddlin' with the idea of the X. I really like the wood stock ones, but this would be a round the ranch gun that would definitely see rain, sun, dirt, pickup bed all the time, so maybe synthetic and ugly is better.

By the way, the guy that's currently living in the house we're moving to sent a photo yesterday of a rattlesnake he'd just killed about 50 feet from the front door between the house and his dog run. Big one. It's funny. My wife grew up there, but her parents warn us every time we're about snakes, and I've been in the family for going on 25 years now. Snakes are like a legend up there, bragging right currency?

keenanmj85 wrote:I am seeing some Big Boys becoming available for those with interest. Not sure how prices compare to historical (these three are all around $900) but for your viewing an buying pleasure:

357 in silver:
https://www.finfeatherfur.com/henry-big ... oom-rifle/

357 classic in brass:
https://www.kygunco.com/Product/View?It ... lx8nLIr6Ow

357 model X with sideport loader:
https://www.kygunco.com/Product/View?It ... fXNlxmK_PQ
They’ve gone up about $100. The same rifles used to be around $800. Personally, I think it’s one of the few buys still worth it - as prices were low from the “Trump” slump in 2018-19.

The 9mm polymer handguns that are 2X, 3X the price of 2019 are not worth it, especially for n+1 handgun in my view.

featureless wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:38 am Thanks for those links, Keenan. I'm fiddlin' with the idea of the X. I really like the wood stock ones, but this would be a round the ranch gun that would definitely see rain, sun, dirt, pickup bed all the time, so maybe synthetic and ugly is better.

By the way, the guy that's currently living in the house we're moving to sent a photo yesterday of a rattlesnake he'd just killed about 50 feet from the front door between the house and his dog run. Big one. It's funny. My wife grew up there, but her parents warn us every time we're about snakes, and I've been in the family for going on 25 years now. Snakes are like a legend up there, bragging right currency?
What part of California are you in? I have a little bit of ophidiophobia :yikes: and I want to make sure I avoid this area when I go hiking.

Pomme wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:00 am What part of California are you in? I have a little bit of ophidiophobia :yikes: and I want to make sure I avoid this area when I go hiking.
Pretty much any of the coastal range east and south of the redwood belt is rattlesnake city. Hot-n-dry with a shit load of 'lil critters equals rattlesnakes. They are an important part of the ecology but it kind of sucks having them right outside your door. All that said, bites are pretty rare (kinda similar to sharks, rarely happen but oh boy the fear). And the majority of bites are on hands/forearms of men that decide to fuck with them. All that said, enjoy your hikes and don't taunt rattlers. You'll be fine. :)

If you're really concerned, use a hiking stick. You can deflect a lunge pretty easily if you have to, you can pin a snake behind the head if you have a little more warning, and if you're inclined you can try to move one off the trail. I've never known a rattler to be aggressive unless seriously provoked. They'd rather save their venom to feed. Once they do, they're pretty chill unless you poke at 'em.

If you've got dogs or small children running about unsupervised, then the game changes.

I love my Henry 357 steel big boy It isn't that heavy. The Henry Brass Big Boy in 44 mag is a bit barrel heavy and it best shot from a rest.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

So, I haven't pulled the trigger on a lever action, but escrow closed today so the house is officially sold. Now we can fund the improvements on the new place. I'll even have room to shoot on the property. Will be working my ass off on the place for a while, but it will be so worth it.

Rattle snakes are at least gentlemen enough to let you know they are there before they strike to give you a chance to avoid them. Obviously they are camouflaged like most snakes otherwise.

I’m afraid snake shot out of a longer rifled barrel will just piss off larger snakes. It will spin the shot into an expanding hollow ring pattern that makes them effectively useless (less than lethal) past 3 yards or so. Snake shot are really designed for use in revolvers I think and even then questionable in its efficacy beyond spittin’ distance.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

featureless wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 12:10 am So, I haven't pulled the trigger on a lever action, but escrow closed today so the house is officially sold. Now we can fund the improvements on the new place. I'll even have room to shoot on the property. Will be working my ass off on the place for a while, but it will be so worth it.
You are a lucky guy. When I win the lottery, I'll buy some land and make a shooting range.

featureless wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 12:10 am So, I haven't pulled the trigger on a lever action, but escrow closed today so the house is officially sold. Now we can fund the improvements on the new place. I'll even have room to shoot on the property. Will be working my ass off on the place for a while, but it will be so worth it.

Congrats on selling the house, hope you got a great price. Now off to a new adventure with all its challenges and enjoyments. :clap:
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

highdesert wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 8:46 am

Congrats on selling the house, hope you got a great price. Now off to a new adventure with all its challenges and enjoyments. :clap:
Thanks, Highdesert. We've been working on this plan for years. It is really hard to believe 1) daughter is graduating, 2) house sold without the market collapsing, and 3) we actually move in two weeks. Big changes in just a couple of weeks.