Re: How Many Cases in Your Town, Village, City, whatever?

YankeeTarheel wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:32 am
the irony that while public health officials preach caution, politicians continue to open up states.
They are idiots, more concerned about getting re-elected than doing their jobs. My town had 22 new cases over the weekend--and the superintendent wants to return to full classes. He's not a stupid man, so why iS he being stupid? He's feeling the pressure.

But B-1.1.7 is exploding across the NE, and mid-west, and the prime carrier seems to be....children returning to in-class schooling.
We are seeing upturns in infection trends across the nation and the world. And politicians KEEP doing the worst possible things at the worst possible times, making it much, much worse.
Here's a great example of stupidity, not from the school board but from the parents and Abbott.
Parents sue Katy ISD for keeping mask mandate after Gov. Greg Abbott lifted statewide requirement

A group of parents are suing the Katy Independent School District, calling its continued requirement for masks in schools unconstitutional and a violation of Gov. Greg Abbott’s executive order from last month that lifted the statewide mask mandate, among other COVID-19 safety restrictions.

The lawsuit, filed Thursday by a Houston attorney for parents Bonnie Anderson, Jenny Alexander, Doug Alexander, Heather Calhoun and Stephen Calhoun, takes issue with the district’s safety protocols for in-person schooling, specifically its requirement that students wear masks in hallways, buses and other common areas.

When Abbott announced his executive order, he did not address the ways rescinding the mask mandate affected public schools. In a later interview with radio host Chad Hasty, Abbott said he expected the Texas Education Agency to leave the decision to require masks up to local school boards.

The agency’s updated mask policy has allowed “local school boards have full authority to determine their local mask policy,” according to its website. In public planning guidance, the agency also recommends the use of masks.

Under Katy ISD’s policies, students who don’t comply with the mask policy will be moved to online school and aren’t allowed to participate in other student activities. Those who have medical conditions that preclude them from wearing masks must notify the school nurse and have documentation from their medical provider, according to the policy.

The lawsuit also argues under the U.S. Supreme Court’s decision in Brown v. Board of Education that forcing students to switch to virtual school is a form of “separate but equal” discrimination.

The Supreme Court case’s ruling focused on segregation between Black and white students in public schools and discrimination on the basis of race.

Experts at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention say attending school in person can be relatively safe, if schools can contain the community spread of COVID-19 and follow safety procedures — including the universal and correct use of masks.

Jared Woodfill, the attorney who filed the lawsuit, said the district’s mask policy is illegal.

“You don’t create a policy that is geared around a minority,” Woodfill said of the fraction of students and teachers who are at risk because of health conditions.

“You don’t shut down and force 99.9% of the people to wear a mask all day long,” he added.

Katy ISD responded to the lawsuit with a statement that it is complying with the agency’s public planning recommendations.

“Katy ISD continues to follow the Governor’s Executive Order GA-34 and comply with the Texas Education Agency’s Public Health Planning Guidance,” said the statement, obtained by Fox 26 Houston.

The lawsuit cites multiple international studies that show children are at low risk from COVID-19 and that masks do not prevent the spread of the virus. Although children are infected at lower rates, they are capable of spreading the virus to at-risk family members, and children with disabilities, who are immunosuppressed or who have other health conditions are still at high risk for severe symptoms from the virus, according to the CDC.

In the past, the TEA has opted against mask mandate enforcement in schools. Last November, the Tribune reported that North Texas-area Peaster ISD chose not to mandate masks as required, despite being in a county with more than 20 active cases. The agency said it would not take action because the concerns from parents “appear to be local in nature.”
https://www.texastribune.org/2021/04/02 ... k-lawsuit/

In KATY ISD's nine high schools the number of students range from 1,500+ to 4,000+ students. Try to keep social distancing in that environment..
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

11,176 cases (+61) / 84 in isolation / 10,914 recovered / 13 hospitalized / 178 deaths (+0) / 1676 daily tests, in Butte County, Calif, pop 217,614.

About half the population of the county has received at least one dose.

We're still in the orange tier, so lots of things open with restrictions. Lots of masks.

We're a rural county with only small cities, mostly around 10-20K. My city is the biggest, and it's not that big (121,000), and that's where most of the people live. Our county economy centers around agriculture and the two colleges. Ranchers keep ranching. No students now, but in the fall we are going to the moon. I can see the shops now weaving their webs to snag some of that sweet, sweet, student money. That's nice, as we've been that way for more than a century. Good to get back to the real rhythms: the .edu calendar with its many many breaks and the 18-24 year olds learning to adult. So adorable. Seriously: I love it. I made my living from them and am retired thanks to them. Here's to students! >clink<

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

At least five U.S. colleges and universities have announced plans in the last few days to require Covid-19 vaccinations for students who will be on campus in the fall. But many more colleges have said they would not require vaccination or would wait and see before setting a policy.

Students at Cornell University in New York, Rutgers University in New Jersey, Fort Lewis College in Colorado, Nova Southeastern University in Florida and St. Edward’s University in Texas will have to be vaccinated before the fall term begins, with a few exceptions for medical, religious or other reasons.
https://www.nytimes.com/live/2021/04/05 ... irus-cases

I haven't read anything about the CA State U, U CA and the CA community colleges.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Nearly 40% Of Marines Have Reportedly Declined COVID-19 Vaccinations

Close to 40% of Marines have declined vaccinations for COVID-19, CNN reported Saturday.

Approximately 75,500 Marines have received vaccines, including those now fully vaccinated and partially vaccinated, according to service-wide data obtained by the network.

Nearly 48,000 Marines have chosen not to receive the vaccines (38.9%). An additional 102,000 Marines haven’t yet been offered the vaccines, according to CNN.

The Marines are the first military branch to reveal vaccination rates. But the military overall has estimated that two-thirds of service members will decide to have the vaccinations — a rate of 66%, compared to a 61% acceptance rate so far for the Marines, CNN noted.

It’s not clear why vaccinations have been declined. Authorities speculate that some may be waiting for those more at risk to get the vaccines first, or are waiting for availability elsewhere, rather than through the military, according to CNN. Other reluctance could be linked to safety concerns in connection to the speed the vaccines were developed, or fears scientists say are unfounded about possible long-term effects.

“We fully understand that widespread acceptance of the COVID-19 vaccine provides us with the best means to defeat the pandemic. The key to addressing the pandemic is building vaccine confidence,” Marine Corps spokeswoman Col. Kelly Frushour told CNN in a statement.

Marine officials are reaching out to service members to encourage them to get the vaccine.

“The Navy and Marine Corps are providing substantial educational information broadly, and working with commands to ensure Marines, sailors, and beneficiaries have accurate information regarding the safety and efficacy of the vaccines to encourage individuals to get immunized,” Marine spokesperson Capt. Andrew Wood said in a statement to The Hill.

The military can’t yet make vaccines mandatory because the vaccinations have only been granted emergency use authorization by the Food and Drug Administration, and service members have the option to decline them.

The Defense Department has some 2.2 million service members operating around the globe. Too low a vaccine acceptance rate could affect “force readiness,” CNN noted.
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/marines- ... 59527ff200

COVID the sure way to cripple our Defense Department. Thank you China :sarcasm:
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

The military can’t yet make vaccines mandatory because the vaccinations have only been granted emergency use authorization [EUA] by the Food and Drug Administration, and service members have the option to decline them.
That's the same reason that hospitals and care facilities haven't mandated it. It's reported hospitals only have roughly 70% of staff vaccinated and in care facilities it's even lower.

Pfizer is expected to make an application for full FDA approval soon.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

My town has seen our number of cases jump from 1162 to 1980 since the beginning of the year--an increase of 818! That's 41% of all our cases!
15 new cases over the weekend.
99 new cases since the beginning of April.

I have to graph the changes...

Meanwhile, my 16 year old who has asthma is eligible for the Pfizer vaccine. After weeks of trying, we finally are getting him his first shot Saturday. It means he'll be able to return to in-school learning at least for his junior year.

His older brother, out in California, is due to get his first Pfizer today. We haven't seen him in over a year and hope to by late May.

EDIT: I have my town's graph of daily case with a 7-day moving average. It's not good, not good at all. Over the holidays, the moving average jumped, then dropped down. Now, over the last month, the moving average has shot up and is fully back at the December/Early January level. The only good news is we haven't had a new death in months.
Livingston7Day Moving Average Covid Cases.JPG
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

Since our county is so small in people, they are phasing out the mass vaccination centers. Around 30% of the county has had its first shot, and around 20% has had the second. Vaccines now are available at every drug store and in doctor's offices. Mind you, we have fewer than 220,000 folks here, barely enough to storm the capitol--but we'd never, because Sierra Nevada Brewery.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

CDFingers wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:55 am Since our county is so small in people, they are phasing out the mass vaccination centers. Around 30% of the county has had its first shot, and around 20% has had the second. Vaccines now are available at every drug store and in doctor's offices. Mind you, we have fewer than 220,000 folks here, barely enough to storm the capitol--but we'd never, because Sierra Nevada Brewery.

CDFingers
"Hold up that hook and ladder and let that beer wagon through!" :beer2: :drunklep:
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

Johnson & Johnson vaccine put on pause in US over blood clot cases: NYT

The United States on Tuesday requested a pause in using Johnson & Johnson's novel coronavirus vaccine after six people who received the vaccine developed a rare disorder involving blood clots.

The New York Times reports that all six of the recipients who developed blood clotting problems "were women between the ages of 18 and 48" and included one woman who has died and another who has been hospitalized in critical condition.

The United States Food and Drug Administration said that it was pausing distribution of the Johnson & Johnson vaccine out of an "abundance of caution" and said that it would hold a press conference on its decision at 10 a.m. ET.
https://www.rawstory.com/us-calls-for-p ... ood-clots/

This is going to put a kink in the Vaccine distribution since some areas were relying on the one shot to get more people vaccinated.

YankeeTarheel wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:14 am My town has seen our number of cases jump from 1162 to 1980 since the beginning of the year--an increase of 818! That's 41% of all our cases!

Meanwhile, my 16 year old who has asthma is eligible for the Pfizer vaccine. After weeks of trying, we finally are getting him his first shot Saturday. It means he'll be able to return to in-school learning at least for his junior year.

His older brother, out in California, is due to get his first Pfizer today. We haven't seen him in over a year and hope to by late May.

EDIT: I have my town's graph of daily case with a 7-day moving average. It's not good, not good at all. Over the holidays, the moving average jumped, then dropped down. Now, over the last month, the moving average has shot up and is fully back at the December/Early January level. The only good news is we haven't had a new death in months.

I sent that graph to the town's Superintendent of schools. I got back a surprising response:
Thank you so much for reaching out and providing this very interesting and informative graph. It certainly does show a trend we do not want to see. This is important information, and although I am updated on trends of the virus, I have not seen a graph like this one specific to <our town>. Thank you again for sharing it with me.
In the 8 days since I updated that graph, we have had 51 more cases raises our total to 2031 cases in 13 months. That's over 1 in 15 people in a NJ suburban town. Yet he is under ENORMOUS pressure to completely re-open the schools, and since he's definitely NOT an idiot, it must be with a great deal of trepidation. When our 16 year old is 2 weeks past his 2nd Pfizer dose in late May, he MAY be able to return to school rather than a full year of remote learning. If not, his all-important Junior year will be able to be in-school. Hopefully.

My town of 30k, has just added 62 cases in 11 days, from 1980 to 2042. There were 2 deaths yesterday--the first since a single death on Feb 5.
People are being careless and the new variants are all over the NYC metro area, which we are part of. Despite this, they want to go to FULL in-school learning by late May. Luckily, my 16 year old will be 2 weeks past his 2nd Pfizer shot then--Saturday is 1 week since his first shot.

This really sucks. Biden's doing not only what SHOULD have been done in January a year ago, but also everything possible to try to catch up. At 93 days, we've already hit the 200 million vaccinated mark, when his original goal was 100 million by day 100. US rates of infection and death are 'way down from the worst, but it's leveling out. Daily cases haven't really dropped since early March with a mini-peak in early April. Deaths have flattened since the end of March.

Are we going to see another explosion of cases and deaths because of all the stupid fucking assholes who REFUSE to mask, distance, wash hands, AND GET VACCINATED?????

YankeeTarheel wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:27 pm
YankeeTarheel wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:14 am My town has seen our number of cases jump from 1162 to 1980 since the beginning of the year--an increase of 818! That's 41% of all our cases!

I sent that graph to the town's Superintendent of schools. I got back a surprising response:
Thank you so much for reaching out and providing this very interesting and informative graph. It certainly does show a trend we do not want to see. This is important information, and although I am updated on trends of the virus, I have not seen a graph like this one specific to <our town>. Thank you again for sharing it with me.
In the 8 days since I updated that graph, we have had 51 more cases raises our total to 2031 cases in 13 months. That's over 1 in 15 people in a NJ suburban town. Yet he is under ENORMOUS pressure to completely re-open the schools, and since he's definitely NOT an idiot, it must be with a great deal of trepidation. When our 16 year old is 2 weeks past his 2nd Pfizer dose in late May, he MAY be able to return to school rather than a full year of remote learning. If not, his all-important Junior year will be able to be in-school. Hopefully.
So...tonight the same Superintendent of Schools, Dr. B__, sent around the this blast eMail. Names have been changed to protect the innocent, the guilty, and the genetically moronic:
Dear XXX Public Schools Community:

Since Monday April 19, 2021, our team of nurses has contact-traced (17) COVID-19 positive cases at XXX High School (XHS). We can attribute (11) of those cases to an out-of-school gathering that happened with students last weekend. Today, there have been multiple cases reported that are of "unknown origin." Additionally, the XXX Department of Health (XDOH) informed us that they have recently received multiple reports of positive cases for 17 and 18 year olds. We continue to investigate whether the cases reported to the XDOH are the same cases we know about, or if they represent additional cases.

Based on the high number of total cases, and the recent cases reported as “unknown origin,” there is concern about a possible outbreak at XHS. Therefore, in collaboration with the XDOH, it has been determined that XHS will transition to a fully remote learning model effective immediately through April 30, 2021. All XHS instruction, athletics and extracurricular activities will be remote during this time. XHS students and staff will be able to return to our in-person hybrid program on Monday, May 3, 2021. No other district schools will be impacted, and will remain on their current schedules. We will monitor the situation closely with the XDOH to assess whether additional mitigation is necessary.

To be clear, this decision was made based on the recommendation of the XDOH in response to multiple individuals connected to XHS having tested positive for COVID-19, and several cases being unrelated with unknown origins. The New Jersey Department of Health defines an outbreak in school settings as “two or more laboratory-confirmed COVID-19 cases among students or staff with onsets within a 14-day period, who are epidemiologically linked, do not share a household, and were not identified as close contacts of each other in another setting during standard case investigation or contact tracing.” We are coordinating closely with the XDOH and will continue to follow their guidance in order to assure the health and safety of our school community.

XXX Public Schools is committed to our Spring Forward plan which includes the collapse of cohorts to allow all hybrid students to attend school in-person five days a week and the addition of lunch and extended in-person school days. Our ability to continue moving forward with our plan depends on the cooperation of the community. As we have said many times over the past year, gatherings and events that occur outside of school can have a direct impact on our ability to provide in-person instruction for our students and can jeopardize the progress we have made in our Spring Forward plan.

We will continue to communicate with families about COVID-19 cases reported in our schools, and any impact those cases may have on our in-person programs. Please remember we must do so while respecting the confidentiality of our students and staff. Thank you for your patience and understanding as we navigate through these challenging times together.

Sincerely,
As I said to my wife: "I warned him!" and she replied "Yes, you did."

I KNOW people are sick of this. I'm sick of it, my wife, sons, brothers, cousins and all their families are sick of it, too. But now is not the time to be congenitally stupid, yet that is PRECISELY what these people are doing. Last night, a lovely warm evening, one of our "Back Fence" neighbors were having a big outdoor party. All last summer, our next door neighbors, in so many ways lovely neighbors, had lots of big parties (they've only been next door for 3 or 4 years).

Covid safety, like gun safety, has just 4--FOUR--rules!
1) Wear a mask
2) Wash your hands
3) Socially distance
4) Get Vaccinated.

Yet even those four are too complicated or "offensive" to too many people.

lurker wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:22 am but.. but.. the microchips!?
it makes them feel important, that someone cares enough to want to track them. but then, they don't want to actually be tracked. what a conundrum. and the best part is, nobody cares that much.
You'd think BG would have made sure the microchip only picked up Chris Hayes and Rachel Maddow, not Sinclair radio!