Re: How many have been vaccinated?

sikacz wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:42 am
sig230 wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:43 am Well, day two after the second Pfizer shot was interesting. Arm sore and by 6pm I was totally done for the day. But the unexpected side effect is that in the afternoon I was sweating like crazy. Temperature was 102F. Hot and dizzy.

So I went back indoors.
LoL. Stay cool!
Yeah, that happens to me sometimes when it's 102° outside, especially when the humidity is 95%! :lol:
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

A relative who has been vaccinated just tested positive for Covid. He’s not sick, just infected. Herd immunity is harder to achieve when some vaccinated people can still spread the virus. This is bad news for anti vaxxers, regardless to whether they believe it. They can still catch Covid even when everybody else have been vaccinated.

It seems that the Darwin effect is stronger with this virus.
Glad that federal government is boring again.

Stiff wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:01 pm A relative who has been vaccinated just tested positive for Covid. He’s not sick, just infected. Herd immunity is harder to achieve when some vaccinated people can still spread the virus. This is bad news for anti vaxxers, regardless to whether they believe it. They can still catch Covid even when everybody else have been vaccinated.

It's rare but does happen, must have been scary for him. The vaccines don't give 100% protection but they'll keep him from serious illness. On the other thread I put an article about WA state which had IIRC 100 cases. It's a question I'm asked weekly in the CDC V-safe check, they're collecting data.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

highdesert wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:56 pm
Stiff wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:01 pm A relative who has been vaccinated just tested positive for Covid. He’s not sick, just infected. Herd immunity is harder to achieve when some vaccinated people can still spread the virus. This is bad news for anti vaxxers, regardless to whether they believe it. They can still catch Covid even when everybody else have been vaccinated.

It's rare but does happen, must have been scary for him. The vaccines don't give 100% protection but they'll keep him from serious illness. On the other thread I put an article about WA state which had IIRC 100 cases. It's a question I'm asked weekly in the CDC V-safe check, they're collecting data.
A small number of vaccinated Oregonians have nevertheless tested positive for the novel coronavirus — and three of them died, according to the Oregon Health Authority.

OHA reports that 168 vaccinated individuals across 25 Oregon counties have received a positive COVID-19 test result at least 14 days after receiving their final dose of the vaccine.

Such “breakthrough cases,” as the phenomenon is officially termed, are not unexpected, and can be prevented through simple steps such as masking up and physical distancing while in public, as well as avoiding social gatherings.

“It’s a reminder that while the Pfizer, Moderna and Johnson & Johnson COVID-19 vaccines are all highly effective at preventing severe COVID-19 illness and death, no vaccine is 100% effective, and vaccine breakthrough cases will occur,” according to a news release.
Experts say most of the breakthrough individuals experienced “asymptomatic infection” and were only tested for COVID-19 by happenstance. But 11% of those who tested positive were hospitalized within 30 days, though OHA says they were predominantly older than 65 or had underlying health conditions.
https://www.koin.com/news/health/corona ... accinated/
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Have sadly amusing situation. I scheduled a CV19 shot at mass local location prior to getting my second shot in the event it fell through. It was a nightmare getting this appointment thru their web site as being 98% non-functioning for weeks on end. When I made this appt. everything worked as it should have. However, they have made it as hard to cancel an appt. as to make one. Nowhere to send digital cancellation and no one answers the phone. I'll be a no show, but would have been nice if they'd made provisions to cancel easier rather than placing hurdles in the way. Hopefully it doesn't go to waste, but considering the abysmal scheduling operation I suspect it may. I certainly hope the next go round of shots runs a bit smoother than this initial cluster fuck.
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

Mutation and evolution is a numbers game. The higher the numbers of individuals go, the higher the probability of mutation. And the number of "individuals"--copies of the virus, are unbelievably astronomical.
Just start with the fact that each infected human cell produces hundreds of thousands of copies of the virus and that the average person has 37.5 trillion cell...and 136.8 million people have been infected world-wide....

My totally WAG assumptions are
1) that one human cell produces 200,000 copies.
2) 1/100 of 1 % of a person's cells are infected -- 3,750,000,000 cells
3) all 136.5 million infected follow this pattern.
4) That there have been 200 billion individuals in the 6 million years since our genetic line split from our nearest cousins, the chimpanzees and bonobos.

What you see is that there are many thousands more generations of the virus in just one year than in the 6 million years that we have evolved from apes.

We're talking Septillions or Octillions of the virus in a year vs 200 billion persons in 6 million years.

With that, Evolution goes from probability to certainty.

Scares the shit out of me.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

YankeeTarheel wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:49 am
sikacz wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:42 am For anti-vaxxers, death is a hard lesson.
What do they learn by dying? For them, it's too late.
The individual dying won’t. I doubt the other anti-vaxxers around them will learn much either even though they should. Still if death visits often enough around you, one might think a person should get some message.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

since it only kills about 2% of confirmed cases, no, they probably won't notice. and even if they do, some are so deep in denial they'll say it was preexisting condition or the flu or old age...

coincidentally i just lost a friend of about 25 yrs. this time last month he and i were talking about his new kentucky flintlock. but we're both of that certain age, where we could go at any time and no one would be especially surprised.
i'm retired. what's your excuse?

sikacz wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:57 am
YankeeTarheel wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:49 am
sikacz wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:42 am For anti-vaxxers, death is a hard lesson.
What do they learn by dying? For them, it's too late.
The individual dying won’t. I doubt the other anti-vaxxers around them will learn much either even though they should. Still if death visits often enough around you, one might think a person should get some message.
"Am I mistaken , or did you use the word 'THINK'??" -- Vizzini, "The Princess Bride"

I don't assume they think.

My 16 year old gets Pfizer #1 on Saturday--we have to drive all the way down to Brown's Mills, NJ--midway between the Turnpike and Tom's River--take at least 90 minutes to get there, but.....they have(had) appointments. He'll get #2 3 weeks later.
And our 26 year old got his Pfizer #1 yesterday at a Cali drive thru.

We are now looking forward to finally having the whole family together sometime in May or June!

I’m really getting tired of the antivaxxers on FB. They are everywhere and shitting on every article about the vaccine. The vaccine is not perfect; there has never been one and there will never be one. It’s about statistics, the vaccine has far less negative effects than the virus.
Glad that federal government is boring again.

And todays study from Oxford University, showed that people have been diagnosed with the rare blood clotting condition after they received any of the current vaccines, AstraZeneca, J&J/Janssen, Pfizer and Moderna. It's not just AstraZeneca and J&J. And so far no cause and effect relationship has been proven between the rare blood clots and the vaccines. Sure heart disease is the leading cause of death in the US in a regular year, but people die much faster from COVID than from heart disease.

they're just assholes, and they're proud of it. today in the parking lot at the grocery i watched a maskless man go to his truck - the the one with the "DILLIGAF" sticker in the back window. "do i look like i give a fuck?" no, you look like a selfish narcissistic jerk who only cares about himself. and that badly.
i'm retired. what's your excuse?

Finally we seem to be getting our act together down here in Hidalgo County. The local UT University has created an online registration to get vaccinated and coordinate the actual shot as well.

I can't believe something so obvious and necessary took over a year to put in place.
To be vintage it must be older than me!
The next gun I buy will be the next to last gun I ever buy. PROMISE!
jim