Re: How many have been vaccinated?

papajim2jordan wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:48 pm Got shot #1 Monday the 8th. Moderna. The vaccine company, not the singer.

Anyone remember when they gave shots with what looked like a paint spray gun?
I remember seeing stills and vid of them when they were still used, but never saw one in person, nor had a shot from one.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

Years ago I got a injection from a podiatrist, he had a new compressed air device and gave me a free B-12 injection. Don't know if that's what you're talking about. That B-12 shot was just under the skin (subcutaneous), vaccines are given intramuscular because they absorb faster.

I received 2 doses of the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine and it's been over two weeks since the 2nd dose. Fully immunized until a booster comes along for the variants.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

I got the first Moderna in mid-January, the 2nd on Valentine's Day. So I'm 3 1/2 weeks past the 2nd, so likely protected.
I'm reading that the Pfizer vaccine also seems to protect against the Brazilian mutation, so I'm hoping the Moderna does too--both are MRNA vaccines. If you've had Covid, you are NOT protected from the Brazilian variant because people in Brazil have suffered with both.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

Not sure if YT’s reasoning holds true. I believe the vaccine and actual infection derived immunity should be the same protection against the Brazilian variant. Question is amount of exposure to the variant over how long. Minute amounts may allow grown resistance to develop over time. Have someone with the variant cough in your face (as likely happens in Brazil) and you are well and truly screwed. Yes, we don’t really know enough about this coronavirus and it’s variants to say anything for certain.

I’ve got my first shot two weeks ago.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

Seems those 'jet injectors” were discontinued over hepatitis transmission concerns. Some years ago, I went on sabbatical courtesy of a rich uncle, where we were all treated to a shot in the arm via those things. Not seen them since.

A recent post elsewhere about ever accumulating plastic waste made me think about all those syringes, which have the added problem of being a bio hazard. Still, I'll take the trade-off.
I also remember the sugar cube mentioned by rockhound. Perhaps Starbucks could be the next vaccine site.

Should all else fail...[youtube]https://youtu.be/jp5s0nPMNAM[/youtube]

Bisbee wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:45 am Not sure if YT’s reasoning holds true. I believe the vaccine and actual infection derived immunity should be the same protection against the Brazilian variant. Question is amount of exposure to the variant over how long. Minute amounts may allow grown resistance to develop over time. Have someone with the variant cough in your face (as likely happens in Brazil) and you are well and truly screwed. Yes, we don’t really know enough about this coronavirus and it’s variants to say anything for certain.

It's not actually my reasoning. I'm going on reports from the NYTimes and WaPo.

People in Brazil who already had Covid are getting sick again with this new mutation.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/03/worl ... riant.html

However, in the lab, the Pfizer vaccine has indications that it WILL protect against the new Brazilian strain.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2 ... pdates-us/

My ONLY speculation is that since the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines are very similar, both being MRNA, that Moderna COULD also protect against the mutation.

YankeeTarheel wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:05 am
Bisbee wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:45 am Not sure if YT’s reasoning holds true. I believe the vaccine and actual infection derived immunity should be the same protection against the Brazilian variant. Question is amount of exposure to the variant over how long. Minute amounts may allow grown resistance to develop over time. Have someone with the variant cough in your face (as likely happens in Brazil) and you are well and truly screwed. Yes, we don’t really know enough about this coronavirus and it’s variants to say anything for certain.

It's not actually my reasoning. I'm going on reports from the NYTimes and WaPo.

People in Brazil who already had Covid are getting sick again with this new mutation.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/03/worl ... riant.html

However, in the lab, the Pfizer vaccine has indications that it WILL protect against the new Brazilian strain.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2 ... pdates-us/

My ONLY speculation is that since the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines are very similar, both being MRNA, that Moderna COULD also protect against the mutation.

Agree that since they are so similar being messenger RNA vaccines, that they might respond similarly to the Brazilian variant. And I agree that there is still a lot we don't know about this coronavirus and all of them.

I was trolling though my county's website where one books an appmt for the vaccine. Looks like they switched from using the Cal Vax website to book appmts, to using the myturn.ca.gov site. Pharmacies are getting stocked and are showing appmt dates in my area the Von's market (Kroger) which has a pharmacy and CVS. I noticed in a neighboring county they are booking appmts for the Johnson & Johnson vaccine so it's out there already.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

leaving for my appt to get the Johnson and Johnson shot in a few mins. Goddammit I hate shots. Yeah, I have lots of Tattoos... I'd rather get my sternum inked again than get a quick jab. Silly I know.
Still, I'm looking forward to interacting with my parents without being afraid to accidentally kill them.
-Crow
Minute Of Average

Ist Pfizer today 3/10/21; 2nd scheduled for 3/31/21. Hopefully, can get locally in SATX without having to drive 200+ mi. to get 2nd. shot in Cotulla, Tx. again. So far no pain or reaction from about 4 hours ago. Did get to see a lot of Texas I haven't been to in recent years. Growth was amazing in some of the small burgs between SATX and Laredo.
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

featureless wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:27 pm
Crow wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:04 pm Still, I'm looking forward to interacting with my parents without being afraid to accidentally kill them.
-Crow
Isn't that a mind fuck?
yeah no shit! My mom is severely immune compromised so she and my dad have been locked down entirely for a year. My wife and I have a 12 and 9 year old, and we decided early on that we wanted our kids to be able to see their grandparents so we have homeschooled and done literally NOTHING with friends for a year so that we could have distanced dinners with my parents occasionally. Both parents and my wife and I got vaxxed this month, so we're on the back end of it but holy hell... what a fuckin year.
-Crow
Minute Of Average

Crow wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:01 pm
featureless wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:27 pm
Crow wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:04 pm Still, I'm looking forward to interacting with my parents without being afraid to accidentally kill them.
-Crow
Isn't that a mind fuck?
yeah no shit! My mom is severely immune compromised so she and my dad have been locked down entirely for a year. My wife and I have a 12 and 9 year old, and we decided early on that we wanted our kids to be able to see their grandparents so we have homeschooled and done literally NOTHING with friends for a year so that we could have distanced dinners with my parents occasionally. Both parents and my wife and I got vaxxed this month, so we're on the back end of it but holy hell... what a fuckin year.
-Crow
You still have your parents. Enjoy them! Mine are gone, as is my wife's father but they didn't have to endure seeing Trump in office, nor face a horrible death suffered by 540,000 of our fellow citizens.

We haven't seen our older son in 13 months. We NEVER thought when we visited last Feb that this could happen. My wife hasn't seen her mother, going on 92, in that time. Neither of us have seen our brothers or their families.

Yeah, it sucks. But for tens of millions of us, it sucks far, far worse. We don't have food, income, shelter, or health insurance insecurity, and DO have resources and contingency plans. So we "count our blessings" and hope for better days.

I AM encouraged that there is FINALLY a bill designed to help the people who REALLY need that help.

Yep, not seeing family and friends sucks. But having a job, house and food takes the suck right out of it by comparison. I am so very relieved help is coming for those who really need it.

And I'm grateful my parents are vaccinated. My turn will come before long and life can get back to something more than "oh shit!" reactionism.

My parents, in their 70s, snowbirds in FL, got theirs in February, so I am happy for that. I am in Ohio and its a slow burn here --- we are still on 60+ and I'm 40 so it will be sometime I imagine, before normies like me get one. My big concern is both my wife and 2 of my kids have underlying health concerns; and i want to reduce that risk as soon as possible. It's Trump country here, so who knows what type of mismanagement is going on by state officials. A shame really, because when I moved here in 2007, it was a fairly well run, moderate state - now it kind of feels like we are trapped behind enemy lines.

Oops. I first posted this in "how many cases," but I'll dupe it here.

Got my first Moderna shot today. I got a card to take back for the second shot, and it has the batch number on it.

I did not get it in my county, but one county north of me, Tehama County, the smallest in population and the poorest county in California, yet nonetheless it retains its water rights within the county--by law, written by my father-in-law, no water is exported from Tehama. Of course the aquifer below does not give a rip about county lines. Moderately interesting.

There were maybe twenty workers, almost all CA National Guard. Non digital camo but analog, so that was cool. Maybe thirty clients; twenty waiting in chairs for their fifteen minutes seeing if they're allergic, and the others waiting to do the paper work and get shot. The whole thing took about forty minutes, most of it spent hanging out in the Tehama County Senior Center gym that still had the decorations from Christmas hanging from the folded up basketball hoops. Wild and crazy decor, but it was very efficient. I complimented everyone who worked with me, as they were all very professional. No ill effects so far.

I'm going to test and see if beer does anything. Standby.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack