Taurus 692 Tracker .357/.38/9mm Convertible.

I'm still looking for the best 9mm revolver option. I've just come across the Taurus 692 Tracker, which has an easily swappable .357 magnum/.38 special and 9mm cylinder. It comes in 3" or 6.5", with either matte stainless or black. I've been watching YouTube reviews and seems to be an excellent performer, but more accurate in .357 than 9mm. One reviewer was able to accurately shoot with .357 at 25 yards.
Both cylinders hold 7 rounds. In 9mm you're supposed to use moon clips and they help in loading and especially unloading, but it will run without them. Pricing seems very competitive.
So far on my list, with no particular preference are the following:

Chiappa (6 round)
Ruger Blackhawk Convertible (6 round)
Ruger GP100 Super Competition 9mm (8 round)
A vintage S&W 547 (6 round)
S&W Performance Center 929 (8 round)

Should the Taurus 692 be on the list? It frankly seems to combine the best of all of these other. I know, I know it's from Brazil. But which US gun maker isn't supporting a guy just like Bolsonaro?

I have plenty of time--NJ handgun purchase permits are taking 2 to 3 months now to process, due to Trenton being overwhelmed by requests.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

Re: Taurus 692 Tracker .357/.38/9mm Convertible.

No idea about relative merits of each. Gather that 9mm suffers from accuracy issues in any convertible revolver chambered for .38/.357, but no personal experience. In theory, .45ACP also suffers slightly relative to .45 Colt in the same context - thousandths of an inch make a difference - but I haven't yet been able to see the difference in mine. Then, I mostly train at defensive ranges because it's easier to see my mistakes, and those still outweigh any variation I get from a slightly looser fit.

So I suspect the real question is, which of those shoots best in your hand for, say .38 special? DA, SA, or both? Trigger and grip are likely to make a bigger difference, although that Chiappa will shoot weird regardless. I know Smiths are supposed to have the best triggers of that lot, but I am very fond of my Blackhawk. Does it matter to you whether you have an internal lock?

I've heard mixed reviews for quality on all of them, generally good, but they all have some issues. Ruger does have the epic service reputation.

What I really want is a 9mm revolver. There was a proposal in the state lege that went nowhere to essentially outlaw semi-auto firearms. In which case my 9mm ammo would be useless.
I like the Ruger very much, but I cannot say I love it. And I'm pretty sure that a custom cylinder is a lot more complicated to make than it sounds, and WILL void the warranty.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

wings wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 8:39 pm That's why I went convertible too. Not to cast aspersions on .45 ACP. It's eminently practical, and cheaper by far. I have a good stock laid in. But I like the feel of Colt better.

So - bear with me - why settle for one?
Is it settling? Why? My choices will either be a 9mm revolver or a convertible that shoots 9mm. What other choice is there? I'm not a real wheel gun fan though I do enjoy shooting my Ruger. But I have it because it shares ammo with my Marlin 1894, a non-semi rifle. I prefer to keep my ammo choices to 3: 9mm, .357/.38, and .308 Win.

Can't speak of the 692, but can on the Tracker platform. I have three - two M992 .22/.22mag, 4" & 6.5" w/two cylinders each; also an M17 .17HMR 6.5". Tracker is a hefty frame for either .22 or .17 - 6.5" 992 is listed at 55 oz. Factory ribber soft grips a bit sucky, but plenty of aftermarket available. While a bit on heavy side, it's well balanced, has a decent trigger in either single or double action. I have thought of getting a 692, but the only caliber I have for it is 9mm and don't really wish to expand beyond. I want the 5" or 6" Chiappa White Rhino in .40 or 9mm if I ever find one at a decent price.

Picture is only one with all three along with some knives & stones - M17 with scope:
Taurus_Knives_01.jpg
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

wooglin wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:30 am What barrel length? There’s an lcr and an lcrx in 9mm.
Not interested in any 9mm that carries only 5 rounds. Carry is not a consideration--I live in NJ where a carry license is harder to get than a million-dollar Mega Millions winning ticket. And if I ever need to carry it means we're at SHTF and laws won't mean much anyway.

I want the 5" or 6" Chiappa White Rhino in .40 or 9mm if I ever find one at a decent price.
Yeah, good luck on that! I feel the same way! (not interested in .40--one more kind of ammo to first find, then buy).

An old Buck Folding Hunter! I have a couple of those, one I've had for over 40 years.

So if the Taurus is reliable, it seems like the best combination of cost, accuracy, and flexibility.

That buck came from late 60's. Had a matching "Buck" style from Camillus from early 70's, but ex made off with it in late 80's.

As for the multi-caliber - my 992's with mags. are fun and accurate. However, with the .22LR cylinder you get a few keyholes in paper. Mags perfect O. I expect same from 692. Still, I wouldn't hesitate to buy a 692 if ran across a deal I couldn't refuse. Taurus revolvers I've owned or shot have been rock solid.
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

Wino wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 1:31 pm That buck came from late 60's. Had a matching "Buck" style from Camillus from early 70's, but ex made off with it in late 80's.

As for the multi-caliber - my 992's with mags. are fun and accurate. However, with the .22LR cylinder you get a few keyholes in paper. Mags perfect O. I expect same from 692. Still, I wouldn't hesitate to buy a 692 if ran across a deal I couldn't refuse. Taurus revolvers I've owned or shot have been rock solid.
Thanks! I see them on GunBroker. But I'm not screwing around until my purchase permits come thru. I really like the fact that while moonclips make ejection easier with 9mm, you don't need them.

Here's a question for the NJ-knowledgeable people: It's illegal to have a filled magazine in your car. Does that apply to speed loaders and moon clips?

Finally got around to looking up the 692. I see the appeal - it really seems to hit a combination of features that nobody else does, at a decent price. The one thing that gives me pause is the porting. I've read where it cuts down fps/muzzle energy because the barrel effectively ends where the ports begin. Then there's the flash to contend with. I imagine cleaning the ports is a PITA.

But it really seems to fit the "if you can only own one gun" niche.

From personal experience owning/shooting a similar Taurus 608 revolver.

Yes, cleaning the ports is a PITA. More reasonable just to accept that the front sight will be sooty. No reason to get all anal-retentive about a squeaky clean revolver or you’ll never want to shoot it.

If shooting 9mm does it really matter the barrel length (aside from snubbie)?

Flash is not really a noticeable unless possibly shooting magnum. But then again I wasn’t shooting at night or in dimly lit locations.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

wings wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:37 pm Finally got around to looking up the 692. I see the appeal - it really seems to hit a combination of features that nobody else does, at a decent price. The one thing that gives me pause is the porting. I've read where it cuts down fps/muzzle energy because the barrel effectively ends where the ports begin. Then there's the flash to contend with. I imagine cleaning the ports is a PITA.

But it really seems to fit the "if you can only own one gun" niche.
With the 6" barrel version it should not be a problem.

Before the apocalypse, I really wanted to get one of those convertible revolvers, too. I ended up getting something else because I waited for prices to drop a bit more. Now, anything like that is higher price and hard to find.

I researched it a lot and the downside is the porting because it is so much louder (and hard to clean). Porting doesn't seem necessary for a .357/38/9mm. The Taurus and the other brands are well-liked. I don't think you can go wrong with any of your choices.

Best of luck in your search, YT!
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

FlyGuy wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:28 am I know the topic is about conversion kits, but I took the plunge into 9mm revolvers with a Chiappa Rhino. I love it. It's a single action only, which makes the trigger awesome. The felt recoil might feel like you are shooting a .22. Charging Rhino.jpg
I must admit to being really interested in the 9mm Chiappa, especially with the longer barrel. The upside down barrel seems a better solution to barrel rise than Taurus's topside ports. (Besides, Miller, in "The Expanse" uses one when he shoots the mad psychopath scientist)
But I like that the 692 hold 7 rounds, rather than 6, and can be loaded and fired with or without moon clips.
There's also the Ruger and S&W performance models that hold 8 rounds of 9mm. Not cheap!
And then there's the occasional older S&W 547 made mostly for foreign police forces that uses 9mm and has a unique cylinder extractor. They can run as much if not more than the performance models.
Finally, there's the Ruger Blackhawk, a cowboy gun that's also convertible, SA only.

SAO Rhino! I guess it’s meant to be a target gun primarily. Must be kinda fun to shoot.

Do the empties fall out easily w/o moonclips?
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi