Re: Western liberal militia?

NegativeApproach wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:07 pm
I'm not buying the fear mongering on either side... Trump is not Stalin or Hitler. He's not organized, smart, determined, or disciplined.

He's an idiot. People give him way too much credit.

Trump can't pull off anything without it getting challenged in court and losing. Biden and Harris will be able to.

That's the back door trojan horse that violates our rights that I'm actually afraid of.

Trump is a clown. He's not scary. His followers are idiots, and while I won't dismiss the nationalist populism, the solution isn't a center right plutocrat.

Those that are hanging their hat on Biden are going to be sorely disappointed. And our 2A rights will be infringed upon.

Sorry if some people on here want to shoot the messenger. Their anger just shows that they are trying to live with the cognitive dissonance of their choices.
For the record I really have no anger towards you. You asked a question and I provided an answer. You dont think Trump has the organization discipline intelligence or determination to pull something bad off. I get that.

To me it's that I see him as a moral relativist, and what is good for him is categorically good. I dont know how much of the above mentioned skills and attributes he has or would need to do some serious damage to our society and or bring harm to me and mine.

You are worried about the back door, I'm worried about the no knock smash in of the front door. You may be right but to me your concern is fixable within our system. Mine may not be, the executive has in the past ignored the court and this executive has shown us a great deal of disdain for that which impedes him.

I did not call him a monster I did not put him on par with stalin or Hitler, I simply see someone willing to use whatever tool is at hand to get what he wants. That is inherently dangerous to me. He forces something even if it is a haphazard disorganized display, how many will follow his lead? He need not be a monster or a super villain to say, "The election was stolen from me, from us, help me keep America great again and take back our streets by any means necessary." He need not be clever to order boarder patrol to round up voters in heavily democratic districts.

You are worried about the errosion of our foundation I'm worried about the sudden crack of the foundation. I respect your opinion I just think yours has time on our side to work out a way to shore things up and mine might not.
Last edited by Rossifan1782 on Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Trump can't pull off anything without it getting challenged in court and losing.
Where have you been the last 4 years? Trump has been stacking the courts with people who WILL ensure he wins. He's placed something like 250 judges already, and, in his second term, will every vacancy that comes up with more of the same--like the 3 clowns in Texas he appointed who ruled it's perfectly OK for the Governor to say Harris County, with 4.5 million people, and bigger than Rhode Island, can only have ONE drop box!

Sure, he's lost a lot of cases, but a vanishingly small percentage of judges HE appointed have actually ruled against him. And when there's a 3 judge panel, it's a 99% certainty that those he appointed WILL support his case.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

Rossifan1782 wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:31 pm
NegativeApproach wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:07 pm
I'm not buying the fear mongering on either side... Trump is not Stalin or Hitler. He's not organized, smart, determined, or disciplined.

He's an idiot. People give him way too much credit.

Trump can't pull off anything without it getting challenged in court and losing. Biden and Harris will be able to.

That's the back door trojan horse that violates our rights that I'm actually afraid of.

Trump is a clown. He's not scary. His followers are idiots, and while I won't dismiss the nationalist populism, the solution isn't a center right plutocrat.

Those that are hanging their hat on Biden are going to be sorely disappointed. And our 2A rights will be infringed upon.

Sorry if some people on here want to shoot the messenger. Their anger just shows that they are trying to live with the cognitive dissonance of their choices.
For the record I really have no anger towards you. You asked a question and I provided an answer. You dont think Trump has the organization discipline intelligence or determination to pull something bad off. I get that.

To me it's that I see him as a moral relativist, and what is good for him is categorically good. I dont know how much of the above mentioned skills and attributes he has or would need to do some serious damage to our society and or bring harm to me and mine.

You are worried about the back door, I'm worried about the no knock smash in of the front door. You may be right but to me your concern is fixable within our system. Mine may not be, the executive has in the past ignored the court and this executive has shown us a great deal of disdain for that which impedes him.

I did not call him a monster I did not put him on par with stalin or Hitler, I simply see someone willing to use whatever tool is at hand to get what he wants. That is inherently dangerous to me. He forces something even if it is a haphazard disorganized display, how many will follow his lead? He need not be a monster or a super villain to say, "The election was stolen from me, from us, help me keep America great again and take back our streets by any means necessary." He need not be clever to order boarder patrol to round up voters in heavily democratic districts.

You are worried about the errosion of our foundation I'm worried about the sudden crack of the foundation. I respect your opinion I just think yours has time on our side to work out a way to shore things up and mine might not.
I agree with what you're stating here, but I think you hit upon why Trump isn't an actual danger to you.

He only cares about himself.

He's not out to get you, or antifa, or anyone else. Those are all just scapegoats for his followers and to distract from the fact that he's just a broke con man who is using the office to better his financial position.

I agree that he has shown great contempt for the constitution. He doesn't understand that there are limits to executive privilege, but he's not going to use that lack of understanding of the constitution to organize brown shirt raids and come busting through your door, he's going to use that narcissism to try to gain his family a little bit of wealth before he heads off to jail.

I don't think we have time on our side. I think our health care system is completely and unequivocally broken, and we're in the midst of a pandemic which has laid that bare very clearly. Trump bears a great deal of the blame for that but so does that fact that we have a corporate and profit-driven system for our health care. That's a big part of why we have so many people dying from Corona virus. Biden isn't reflecting on that, and right now, before the end of the year, we're likely to see another 200k or more dead this winter. That's not only Trump's fault.

I also am curious as to when this will actually get fixed? How many more people should have to die before we recognize the urgency of our failed health care system?

Trump is not the problem. Trump is a symptom and a result of the problems that we already have been facing. When will we deal with those root causes? Because if we don't do it soon, another Trump will come along, and we're making that inevitable.

No one is coming for your guns. I'm as bored of this panic-mongering as lurker is, just perhaps in a better mood today.

Biden was VP the last time Congress tried to pass an AWB. They couldn't get past 40 votes in the Senate. Manchin, King, and a pile of other moderate gun-owning Democratic senators voted it down then, and they're not changing their minds now. It isn't going to happen through the legislative branch, and the Supreme Court has only gotten more conservative since Heller and McDonald. Kindly explain how, outside of the paranoid fantasies promulgated on the right - a president - or VP, for that matter - can somehow, by executive fiat, take away an individual right to own firearms.

Without a clearly articulated legal and Constitutional framework to get from point A to point B, we're left with underpants gnomes taking our guns.

Now it's also worth remembering that the Second does not guarantee you a right to own any weapon in military service and never has. When the Bill of Rights was written, and for decades afterwards, it was viewed by all parties as constraining the federal government of the United States, and ONLY the federal government. States were free to infringe the bloody hell out of your RKBA. Kentucky and Louisiana had concealed carry bans dating back to 1813, when the author of the Bill of Rights was President. The Bill of Rights didn't apply to the states until the 14th was ratified, and we're still in the process of incorporating it properly. Even the original AWB had more to do with interstate commerce - the sale of firearms - than it did with RKBA (existing arms were grandfathered).

If you're willing to tolerate kids in cages and the dismantlement of the regulatory state in furtherance of 21st century feudalism to protect your property rights, I suggest you re-evaluate your priorities.

Since this liberal militia thing doesn't seem like it's going to get off the ground ... :laugh:

I see the following on the "About Us"/"On Regulation" section of the site:
"We favor enforcement of existing regulations over the creation of new regulatory schemes.
We believe that additional regulation is too often political window dressing and does not serve to resolve the ills for which it is claimed as a cure. This includes the so-called Assault Weapons Ban, as well as proposed restrictions on magazine capacity."

So, if this isn't the thread for it :sarcasm: , is there a tolerance for it (i.e. the politics of regulation) on this site? The discussion itself is too difficult? Already"answered?" Too boring? I'll be labeled a troll for even asking?

NegativeApproach wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:55 pm Joe Biden says he's coming for your guns... is he lying?

https://joebiden.com/gunsafety/#
I take biden at his word, but I’ve said my piece about this. I do wonder what continuing down this conversation path serves. Look back on earlier threads, you and Zen are not the only two to bring up these points. Sure, y’all have the right to express these points as many times as you like, but, I doubt you’ll change minds at this point. This election was baked months ago, perhaps even a year ago. If y’all choose to continue, please occasionally remind yourselves that opinions here are not universal. Some will agree with you others will not. Some see things through their own lens and refuse to see through someone else’s. Just saying, these conversations are set and won’t go anywhere, but in a circle at this point.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

sikacz wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:34 pm
NegativeApproach wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:55 pm Joe Biden says he's coming for your guns... is he lying?

I take biden at his word, but I’ve said my piece about this. I do wonder what continuing down this conversation path serves. Look back on earlier threads, you and Zen are not the only two to bring up these points. Sure, y’all have the right to express these points as many times as you like, but, I doubt you’ll change minds at this point. This election was baked months ago, perhaps even a year ago. If y’all choose to continue, please occasionally remind yourselves that opinions here are not universal. Some will agree with you others will not. Some see things through their own lens and refuse to see through someone else’s. Just saying, these conversations are set and won’t go anywhere, but in a circle at this point.
For the record, I'm not looking for agreement or to change minds (or stir shit up for that matter). I guess I have enough of a feel for the room anyway. :) Have a good evening. :beer2:

As I've stated, it takes some deep cognitive dissonance to believe that Joe Biden is going to do anything but uphold the status quo (which is great if you're an upper middle class white guy, I suppose), but he IS going to come for your guns. At least that's what he claims. People are free to either believe he is too incompetent to succeed or lying if they choose. But if he's incompetent or lying, then why would he deserve their support?

That status quo IS the problem, and the direct reason and cause for why we have Donald Trump currently.

Furthermore, he and Harris are literally the most anti-gun candidates to ever run for the offices of POTUS and vice POTUS. That's a fact.

He also is going to keep your shitty health care in place.

He was in the room for warrant-less drone strikes (extrajudicial killing) of an American citizen.

He was vice-president under the administration that deported a tremendous amount of people from Central and South America and his administration also kept kids in cages.

He believed that blacks are "super-predators".

He is suspect (at best) with his behavior around women.

If that is all ok with people on here, that's their prerogative, but people swearing at me for pointing that out, on what is a pro-gun board seems a bit beyond ridiculous, don't you think?

NegativeApproach wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:12 pm

As I've stated, it takes some deep cognitive dissonance to believe that Joe Biden is going to do anything but uphold the status quo (which is great if you're an upper middle class white guy, I suppose), but he IS going to come for your guns. At least that's what he claims. People are free to either believe he is too incompetent to succeed or lying if they choose. But if he's incompetent or lying, then why would he deserve their support?

That status quo IS the problem, and the direct reason and cause for why we have Donald Trump currently.

Furthermore, he and Harris are literally the most anti-gun candidates to ever run for the offices of POTUS and vice POTUS. That's a fact.

He was in the room for warrant-less drone strikes (extrajudicial killing) of an American citizen.

He was vice-president under the administration that deported a tremendous amount of people from Central and South America and his administration also kept kids in cages.

If that is all ok with people on here, that's their prerogative, but people swearing at me for pointing that out, on what is a pro-gun board seems a bit beyond ridiculous, don't you think?
You're entitled to your opinions, of course, but I have to wonder what someone who seems an apologist for Donald Trump is doing as a member of The Liberal Gun Club. You do not strike me as Liberal in any sense of the word. So, for my own edification: Just exactly WHY are you here?
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

The overwhelming hoarding of AR-15's is by those who say (maybe even believe) that in order to protect themselves from the government, they need all these AR-15's, and practice "war games" in the woods. To those who think that if our government actually became tyrannical and decided to crush / kill its citizens then an AR-15 might buy you a day or two, but not much else.

Biden's stated position is that you have two choices: Sell your AR-15 back to the government, or register it like a full auto. He's not taking your guns. I'm still waiting for Obama to come and get my guns, I guess all that door to door tyranny takes some time. THE POTUS does not create law, so I doubt any of it will come to fruition. I'm on the side who's players believe that we have a problem with mass shootings, what's wrong with thinking about solutions, it's more than what the right does, sending thoughts and prayers does nothing.

I have AR-15's, not to protect myself from M1A1 Abrams or A-10 Thunderbolt's (cuz that's just stupid), but to protect myself and my family from the right-wing terrorists that Trump leads and cheers on. It started before Trump, but he's given most of these nutcases credibility and they feel emboldened like no other time in the last 150 years.

If the "liberals" or progressives needed a militia in the same way that all these back-woods trump cultists do, then we are screwed cuz they live and breath this lame BS day and night. At the end of the day, reasonable people in the Military and Police will back us, and therefore, we don't need a crazy ammo-sexual militia.

Now, if the society collapsed a la "the walking dead" then yeah, AR-15's will be awesome, maybe a few more years of COVID and we'll be there.

just my 2 cents.
My Avatar, "The Eagles Nest". The Southern states are cracked, rotten; the eagle says "Annihilation to traitors." A response to the confederate flag and the Gadsden flag waivers.

NegativeApproach wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:12 pm

No it’s not okay with me, which should be obvious if you’ve read anything I’ve posted on biden. I’ve said many times I’m not a single issue voter, but his positions on the second and guns are a negative.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

Denvertaco07 wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:07 am The overwhelming hoarding of AR-15's is by those who say (maybe even believe) that in order to protect themselves from the government, they need all these AR-15's, and practice "war games" in the woods. To those who think that if our government actually became tyrannical and decided to crush / kill its citizens then an AR-15 might buy you a day or two, but not much else.

Biden's stated position is that you have two choices: Sell your AR-15 back to the government, or register it like a full auto. He's not taking your guns. I'm still waiting for Obama to come and get my guns, I guess all that door to door tyranny takes some time. THE POTUS does not create law, so I doubt any of it will come to fruition. I'm on the side who's players believe that we have a problem with mass shootings, what's wrong with thinking about solutions, it's more than what the right does, sending thoughts and prayers does nothing.

I have AR-15's, not to protect myself from M1A1 Abrams or A-10 Thunderbolt's (cuz that's just stupid), but to protect myself and my family from the right-wing terrorists that Trump leads and cheers on. It started before Trump, but he's given most of these nutcases credibility and they feel emboldened like no other time in the last 150 years.

If the "liberals" or progressives needed a militia in the same way that all these back-woods trump cultists do, then we are screwed cuz they live and breath this lame BS day and night. At the end of the day, reasonable people in the Military and Police will back us, and therefore, we don't need a crazy ammo-sexual militia.

Now, if the society collapsed a la "the walking dead" then yeah, AR-15's will be awesome, maybe a few more years of COVID and we'll be there.

just my 2 cents.
The solution to mass shootings is looking at the underlying root causes of violence. That is the stated position of this club. The stated positions of the democratic party are totally different, they are inline with your thoughts. That’s fine, but this is not the democratic gun club, it’s The Liberal Gun Club and there is nothing liberal about restrictions and bans. Forcing registration is a bridge too far.

"reasonable people in the Military and Police"
Sorry friend, they are just as fractured as the rest of the population and right now I would not trust an LEO to eat a donut without fucking it up. If shit really hit the fan any given military base is going to have problems enough without worrying about those of us out here. The US military is having a hard time policing itself at the moment. A lot of people keep reiterating the "that couldn't possibly happen" point of view and frankly I think you're being very naïve. I get it. We don't want terrible shit to happen, but the probability of terrible shit happening is pretty high.
Also, I agree with YT.
Now about this book club . . .
Never smile too big, the gods may mistake it for hubris.

sikacz wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:24 am YT stop claiming everyone that doesn’t support your candidate is a trump apologist. They are not.
I'm not. I'm saying ONE particular person appears to be. One. Not "everyone". Don't put words in my keyboard.

YankeeTarheel wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:34 am
sikacz wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:24 am YT stop claiming everyone that doesn’t support your candidate is a trump apologist. They are not.
I'm not. I'm saying ONE particular person appears to be. One. Not "everyone". Don't put words in my keyboard.
I'm not. Not in any way, shape, or form.

Just because I am critiquing the Democratic candidate (who is one of the worst in history by the way), does not make me a "Trump apologist". That binary thought process is one of the problems with this country.

Denvertaco07 wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:07 am The overwhelming hoarding of AR-15's is by those who say (maybe even believe) that in order to protect themselves from the government, they need all these AR-15's, and practice "war games" in the woods. To those who think that if our government actually became tyrannical and decided to crush / kill its citizens then an AR-15 might buy you a day or two, but not much else.

just my 2 cents.
People don't need guns to protect them from the military. IF things were to ever go south, the military would be at home defending their families and friends, just like the police would be. We've seen how that could occur this year, and that's why gun sales are through the roof and why it's very difficult to even find basic ammo right now.

The standard modern sporting rifle is a great option for many people to defend themselves in a variety of circumstances, and I'm baffled as to why you'd be repeating Bloomberg-inspired propaganda against them on a pro-gun board.

Perhaps you would be ok with having a single shot shotgun and "shooting through the door" like Joe Biden says you should.

SpaceRanger42 wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:07 am "reasonable people in the Military and Police"
Sorry friend, they are just as fractured as the rest of the population and right now I would not trust an LEO to eat a donut without fucking it up. If shit really hit the fan any given military base is going to have problems enough without worrying about those of us out here. The US military is having a hard time policing itself at the moment. A lot of people keep reiterating the "that couldn't possibly happen" point of view and frankly I think you're being very naïve. I get it. We don't want terrible shit to happen, but the probability of terrible shit happening is pretty high.
Also, I agree with YT.
Now about this book club . . .
Just finally finished Sara Paretsky's latest V.I. Warshawsky book. The first 40% was a long, slow slog, then it picked up and I couldn't put it down--her best in a while. Helped to know the difference between 7.62x51 NATO and 6.5 Creedmoor from a Bergara...but it would have helped to know what was used to shoot a key character near the end.

For "My brain is in park and I need something light to recharge the battery" I like Josh Dalzelle's sci-fi. It's not sophisticated or heavy, and he copy-cats some characters (Crusher is a cross between Worf and Chewbacca), but it's light and doesn't bog down.

Can we have movies in the book club?

I just watched the Netflix "Trial of the Chicago 7" and since I was 13 when the riots took place, my brother was about to enter his senior year at Lake Forest College (but, luckily, wasn't anywhere near Chicago that summer) and I was in HS when the trial began, I do remember some of the history. Sacha Baron Cohen did a fine job as Abbie Hoffman, despite being 6'3" to Hoffman being, maybe 5'7", but the one fly in the ointment was his over-exaggeration of Hoffman's Boston accent. Hoffman had a very definite inflection from that area, but it wasn't nearly as harsh or as forced as Baron Cohen's . (I've noticed that British, Irish, and Australian actors do better with mainstream American accents than they do with distinctive regional ones, devolving into stereotypes, rather than real ones. The actor playing William Kunstler had a similar issue.) Frank Langella as crazy, senile, totally biased Judge Julius Hoffman was spot-on PERFECT! Hoffman was a ROTTEN judge and virtually EVERY decision and EVERY contempt charge he made was overturned. Michael Keaton's cameo as former AG Ramsey Clark was another gem.

Still, it was great to see Baron Cohen NOT playing the clown, even though Hoffman used clowning as part of his political technique. His timing and delivery (other than the accent) was dead-on perfect and his final scene facing Asst DA Shultz (Joseph Gordon-Levitt, also pitch-perfect--known as the little wise-ass from "3rd Rock") is truly compelling.

NegativeApproach wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:43 am

Just because I am critiquing the Democratic candidate (who is one of the worst in history by the way), does not make me a "Trump apologist". That binary thought process is one of the problems with this country.
Uh-Huh. Yep. Sure. Gotcha.

YankeeTarheel wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:57 am
NegativeApproach wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:43 am

Uh-Huh. Yep. Sure. Gotcha.
"If you're not with us, you're against us", right George W?