Re: The Safest Handgun is

The P7 cannot be fired inadvertently. For any reason.
The P7 cannot be fired by a child. By the age of 5 I could pull back the hammer of a revolver and fire it easily.
It would take a very large child to function the P7.

An older revolver must have it's hammer on an empty cylinder, or it can fire if dropped.
(This also reduces the round count to 5)

While I agree that a modern revolver is 'safer' than any current auto, by tenths, the P7 is safer.

It can also be made entirely nonfunctional/functional in about 3 seconds.

Those unfamiliar with the firing mechanism find it difficult to understand the first time.
This saved several LEO's who found themselves disarmed.

BTW, I do recommend revolvers for beginners for the very safety and simplicity you are suggesting,

But my P7? Cold dead fingers...

PS-Oh, and I'd say that the PSP version is slightly safer than the M8, only because of the heel mag release.
"I hope ever to see America among the foremost nations in examples of justice and liberality" - George Washington

Define "safest". No gun is "safe" when aimed at another human being. If it was, it wouldn't be a gun! It's reason for being, the reason guns were created, was to be totally UNsafe for the person it's pointed at.
While I enjoy target shooting, it never leaves my mind that the primary purpose of guns is to kill, just like spears, arrows, blow-darts, bayonets, maces, and swords.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

Far too expensive to make. Especially now with all the injection-molded, Glock-inspired striker pistols
Lots of expensive machine work and hand final assembly, including special tools...
Looking back, I don't know how I was able to afford mine, but now I'll never sell it.
The value has quadrupled since I bought it as I still have the original S/N'd box, etc.
I only it carry now on special occasions.

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/heckl ... stol-ever/

Not offering Kool-Aid here, just a well written article.
"I hope ever to see America among the foremost nations in examples of justice and liberality" - George Washington

RotaryMags wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:56 pm Far too expensive to make. Especially now with all the injection-molded, Glock-inspired striker pistols
Lots of expensive machine work and hand final assembly, including special tools...
Looking back, I don't know how I was able to afford mine, but now I'll never sell it.
The value has quadrupled since I bought it as I still have the original S/N'd box, etc.

Yeah, I read that article when I did a google search. So now since it never comes out of your safe it's the safest, safest gun there is.

harriss wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:03 pm
RotaryMags wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:56 pm Far too expensive to make. Especially now with all the injection-molded, Glock-inspired striker pistols

Yeah, I read that article when I did a google search. So now since it never comes out of your safe it's the safest, safest gun there is.
:roflmao:

It's the problem with quality and rarity, isn't it? At some point the tool gets too valuable to use on a regular basis.
See, Ferrari. Race cars. Tools to be used and likely destroyed in that use. And yet today, a destroyed example is worth more than the original, based on the ID plate alone. Restored, they are lucky to see occasional use, never mind a serious track assault.

It's hard to justify carrying a weapon that may, in itself, be the object of an assault. It's why I now carry the LCR.
Would one carry an original Colt SAA or G.I. 1911? Or a SIG P-210?

I'm currently looking for one of the police surplus P7 PSP's so I can carry one again. It wasn't until just very recently that I discovered the current value of the P7, especially with the S/N box, manual, warranty, etc. Freakin' NUTS! My car cost less!

I like this so far.

Now, there are interesting things about older single actions and ones legal in California. One is we have the transfer bar safety system, and this takes away the last problem of single actions with the pin on the hammer.

So, you have to cock it to shoot it. Same with single action semis. But there are no moving parts after the round fires, unlike them new fangled semis, which can hang up in clothing or the mane of one's sabre-toothed wildebeest, eh.

You can see whether it's cocked. And if you're too wimpy to cock it and you can't, there's no way you can fire it.

Safest.

:mrgreen:

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

I like DA/SA Hammer fired pistols with a decocker. They are drop safe and with the decocker/safety down (like in the Beretta 92's and Px4's) the entire gun is a brick. The trigger is disconnected and flops like a weasel, the hammer is down on a solid block of steel - the firing pin is turned so that even if struck violently on the hammer the pin cannot possibly contact a primer plus the pin inertia system is on.

My DA/SA Beretta is as safe as a single action and with the flick of a lever it goes full hot in DA mode and then can be shut down/turned into a brick again with the flick of a thumb. Can be carried docker up/off and the hammer at half cock in a holster (which is how I carry) and the gun needs a fairly long DA pull that is every bit as light and crisp as an old S&W M19.

I'll see your SA Revolver and raise you a DA/SA hammer fired decocker pistol for modern safety *and* 17+1 capacity with a 3 second reload.

VooDoo
Tyrants disarm the people they intend to oppress.

I am sworn to support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic.

P7, shows you that it's cocked, but it's entirely redundant as there's the tactile sensation of actually gripping it fully.
The Grip of the P7 behaves *exactly* like pulling the hammer of a SA revolver.
Primary diff is that when you release your grip, it lowers the striker safely.
No thumbing down the hammer while I pull the trigger to render it 'safe'.
Squeeze to make ready, release to make safe. The pistol can not be fired otherwise.
It also has a loaded chamber indicator so you don't need to pull back the slide to check the chamber.
And again, I can render the pistol inert in about 2 seconds.

As to the wildebeests...
While a semi MAY get hungup after the first round preventing a second, a revolver can be prevented from firing the FIRST round.
In DA, by stopping the cylinder from rotating, in SA, by preventing the hammer from falling. But that's function, not safety.

Just curious if you have ever handled/fired a P7?

Of course this is just like me saying my Saabs are safer than an M-B or ovloV or such...

IMO, the safest handgun for a home defense application is a double action revolver or a DAO auto.
It's safe sitting there. Pick it up in a stressful situation, it's ready to go. No hammer to cock, no safety to find, no short, light trigger pull. Fire it, or not, it's safe to put down.

VodoundaVinci wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:29 pm I'll see your SA Revolver and raise you a DA/SA hammer fired decocker pistol for modern safety *and* 17+1 capacity with a 3 second reload.
You can throw a fully-loaded Vaquero at a bus and knock it off line. Not that there's much call for that. Just sayin'.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

VodoundaVinci wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:29 pm I like DA/SA Hammer fired pistols with a decocker.
I too.

Though I have had occasion to shoot an 1886 Colt Frontier Six (.44-40) single action. It was an interesting experience. Big boom, then sit down and wait for the round to hit the target. It took a little while.

However, despite the rather low muzzle velocity, the mere concussion of the round flying by would no doubt knock a person over. I hate to think what might happen should one actually hit a living target? Fellow who owned it claimed to have brought down a bear with it. I don't believe him...he was a lawyer.

Once I encountered a fellow carrying a SIG P226 ... cocked. As in SA mode. I pointed out that his gun was cocked and he looked at me and asked "and do you see where it is?" Meaning that it was holstered. He's an ex-cop who's duty sidearm was a Kimber 1911, so it sorta makes sense...

Anyway, yeah, I prefer the long DA pull on a SIG, round chambered.
Subliterate Buffooery of the right...
Literate Ignorance of the left...
We Are So Screwed

rolandson wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 4:17 pm Anyway, yeah, I prefer the long DA pull on a SIG, round chambered.
I too prefer a DA/SA semi-auto, SIGs and CZs with decockers. Swedish police were not allowed to carry their duty pistol with one in the barrel, you see it in old TV and movies of actors portraying Swedish police officers racking the slides on their SIGs after unholstering them. IIRC that changed. Always thought it funny because SIGs have decockers.

The P7 was quite a pistol, it was very expensive next to a cheaper polymer. It's a polymer world, hence the P8.
https://www.guns.com/news/2017/04/08/p- ... ols-videos
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

...determined by what's between your ears. Some people have had safety problems with the earlier designs of SA revolvers that had the firing pin on the hammer and the hammer did not rebound. If you loaded the cylinder with 6 rounds and lowered the hammer, the firing pin was resting directly on a primer.

I encourage persons new to handguns to look to double-action revolvers. The problem with this is that when they eventually try a semi-auto and go to unload, they pull the magazine and think they're done.

The are the safest if you weld up the barrel, remove the firing pin, hammer, springs and magazines, and even then some dork could find a way to harm someone or something with it.

No firearm is safe in the hands of an unsafe person. Most firearms are safe if used with proper attitude and training.

You can't have a device that is meant to destroy things that is absolutely safe.

The Soviets had a saying that the safety was located between the ears of the shooter. They also said that even an unloaded gun can fire once a year.