More Krag Progress

I got the Pacific Sight Co. K1 peep sight. I'm not sure when they started production but the Krag, being cheap surplus, was a popular deer rifle in the 20's & 30's. I found a pdf of a 1943 catalog online and they were still being sold then for $3.00 (roughly $50 today so that would be quite cheap even now). I had also needed an ejector for it so I ordered those parts as well.

Here's the sight mounted in the hole where the magazine cut off was. You can see where there used to be a saddle bar on the side of the rifle. Whoever took it off filled in the inletting rather poorly.
20200808_111500.jpg

From the top. The sight fits over top of the bolt. In front of the bolt is the ejector. It is not spring loaded, the bolt going back causes it to move up out of it's slot. Gentle pull on the bolt and it barely lifts the case up for you to grab, smartly yank it and the case is sent spinning on it's way to the other side of the room :D

You can also see the sole locking lug that is the biggest limitation to the design.
20200808_111524.jpg
Getting close to being ready to hit the woods again. I have a couple of boxes of Hornady ammo for sighting it it, plus it still needs sling swivels and a sling.
20200808_111552.jpg
The Krag was a very different rifle; perhaps one that the phrase "Steampunk" could actually apply to. It's a joy to shoot and handle. Whoever did the diamond inlays on the stock did a wonderful job. I presume it was a different person than who took off the saddle bar ;)

Based on the 1903 sight used on the front and the fact that it is in an actual carbine stock not a cut down rifle stock, the odds are this was probably one of the rifles cut down by the Army at the Benicia Arsenal for the DCM & NRA. No way to prove it (no serial list exists) but the physical evidence is consistent.
Live like you will never die, love like you've never been hurt, dance
like no-one is watching.
Alex White

Re: More Krag Progress

Hayward! Been there a few times, eh... ; )

My Grandfather used a Krag as his saddle gun for forever!
(Maybe I should find one too...)

Nice work! Looking forward to the range report.
"I hope ever to see America among the foremost nations in examples of justice and liberality" - George Washington

Re: More Krag Progress

Oh, no that's just what the inflation would make it's old cost today. I paid $112 which was still better than the $175 and higher I'd seen earlier.

Next up is sling swivels and a web sling. I'll probably get a WWII Enfield sling as the British Army got them from the Mills web sling used by the US in the PI on the Krag. Originals are spendy; Enfield ones, not so much ... :D
Live like you will never die, love like you've never been hurt, dance
like no-one is watching.
Alex White