Hi from LA County

Hey everyone,

I grew up living near the LA County - Orange County border, and am back for the foreseeable future.
I'm happy to have found this group after a quick Reddit search because growing up, I spent most of my life in conservative circles. I'm now having a great time exploring the world through a different lens.

I'm a new owner, so I'm looking forward to learning what I can and meeting good people!

Re: Hi from LA County

Go4broke wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 1:29 am Welcome! What did you buy?
Thanks! Wanted to support a local business; all they had available for semi-autos was an SA XD-40 subcompact.
I don't have enough experience to be picky and it felt good in my hands, so I bought it and I'm getting genuinely excited to take it to the range!

Welcome home. Pull up a stump and set a spell. I used to have one of the Croatian Sensations; a first generation HS2000. They were only 9mm versions then.

To be vintage it must be older than me!
The next gun I buy will be the next to last gun I ever buy. PROMISE!
jim

Welcome! We've just started a community of progressive gun owners, geared towards being a non-intimidating and inclusive space for new gun owners in LA. Feel free to join us if you're looking for a friendly and enthusiastic community geared towards safety and education:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/la.progressive.shooters
https://www.facebook.com/la.progressive.shooters
https://www.instagram.com/la.progressive.shooters
trashpanda wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:58 am Hey everyone,

I grew up living near the LA County - Orange County border, and am back for the foreseeable future.
I'm happy to have found this group after a quick Reddit search because growing up, I spent most of my life in conservative circles. I'm now having a great time exploring the world through a different lens.

I'm a new owner, so I'm looking forward to learning what I can and meeting good people!

LAProgressiveShooter wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:46 am Welcome! We've just started a community of progressive gun owners, geared towards being a non-intimidating and inclusive space for new gun owners in LA. Feel free to join us if you're looking for a friendly and enthusiastic community geared towards safety and education:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/la.progressive.shooters
https://www.facebook.com/la.progressive.shooters
https://www.instagram.com/la.progressive.shooters

Thanks, will definitely check it out!

YankeeTarheel wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:36 am Hi from NJ--the land with its own set of nutty gun-ownership rules to rival Cali!
My eldest son is in Irvine, and shortly may be moving to West L.A.
Hi! I didn't know that about NJ; you learn something new everyday!
Oh, best of luck to him as he transitions. Now that I think about it, he might be trading one type of traffic for another :wacko:

trashpanda wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 1:08 pm
YankeeTarheel wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:36 am Hi from NJ--the land with its own set of nutty gun-ownership rules to rival Cali!
Oh, best of luck to him as he transitions. Now that I think about it, he might be trading one type of traffic for another :wacko:
LOL! Thanks--actually, his current work is all WFH and studying for the California Bar Exam, so traffic's not an issue--and he commuted up to Santa Monica 2 summers ago for an internship, so he knows the traffic (and hates it, of course!)

I think you in Cali can have suppressors and flash arrestors, but can't have pistol grips on semi-auto rifles. And you have the kooky micro-stamping law demanding a technology that doesn't yet exist. Here, it's the opposite. Pistol grip's OK. No threaded rifle barrels, 10 round mag limit, a separate, police dept approved, permit to purchase each pistol, only one a month.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

YankeeTarheel wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 1:21 pm
LOL! Thanks--actually, his current work is all WFH and studying for the California Bar Exam, so traffic's not an issue--and he commuted up to Santa Monica 2 summers ago for an internship, so he knows the traffic (and hates it, of course!)

I think you in Cali can have suppressors and flash arrestors, but can't have pistol grips on semi-auto rifles. And you have the kooky micro-stamping law demanding a technology that doesn't yet exist. Here, it's the opposite. Pistol grip's OK. No threaded rifle barrels, 10 round mag limit, a separate, police dept approved, permit to purchase each pistol, only one a month.
Glad he's able to work from home! The traffic has slowly been getting worse unfortunately... it wasn't so bad early on.
Oh I was actually under the impression that anything like a suppressor was illegal, but I most definitely could be wrong!
I have heard of the police approved permit, is that something that expires every month/you need to apply for a new permit every time you buy a gun?

trashpanda wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 4:05 pm
YankeeTarheel wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 1:21 pm

Glad he's able to work from home! The traffic has slowly been getting worse unfortunately... it wasn't so bad early on.
Oh I was actually under the impression that anything like a suppressor was illegal, but I most definitely could be wrong!
I have heard of the police approved permit, is that something that expires every month/you need to apply for a new permit every time you buy a gun?
Every time you want to buy a hand gun, you need a purchase permit from your local PD. It's good for up to 90 days, can be extended to 180., but while you can get multiple purchase permits, you can only make a purchase every 30 days. And, to get the permit, you must have a firearm purchase ID card...But you can apply for both on the same form if it's your first hand gun.

For long guns, you only need the FPID card, and pass the N.I.C.S. check, no purchase permit needed.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

trashpanda wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 4:08 pm
wings wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 3:39 pm o/

Picked a heck of a time to buy a gun. Then again, I'm sitting here going over options for my mum.
I know, right? Haha.
Which ones are your top so far, if you don't mind sharing? Thinking of options for my wife as well.
Oh, they're very specific to her preferences - as they should be. She's got moderate experience in rifles, up through .30-06, but no experience with handguns besides handling mine. Right now we're talking about options in Ruger Mark IV, a .22LR semiauto. Latest iteration in a series of well-regarded target pistols, notable for being stupidly easy to strip down and clean compared to its predecessors.

I've got a 6.88" Hunter with target grips. It's heavy, and not CCW-friendly, but barrel length makes a big difference for .22LR, and even a 2" revolver can meet FBI standards for penetration. It's still much louder than a rifle, and not as accurate, but cheap to train with, and a joy to shoot. Important things. You're more likely to train well if you can afford to, and if you enjoy it, and it's easier to enjoy it if you can see progress from day one.

You'll find plenty of people on the Internet who will tell you that you need a 'grown up' round for defensive purposes, and that 'stopping' is more important than killing. Depending on what data you put stock in, 22LR is both highly lethal and results in many one-shot stops, but it isn't as good at stopping a motivated attacker as larger rounds. Doesn't matter - the .22 that hits is better than the .44 that misses. Training and shot placement are more important than caliber or gun. Unless we're talking bears. And if we're talking bears, there's probably a cartoon series out there looking for us.

Most of us will never, ever draw a gun in anger or for defense. If we have to, training is a more valuable investment than the weapon.