Re: No glasses drill

I'll keep my thoughts about not wearing glasses on a range, particularly one where other shooters are present, to myself...

Save that, had this been at the range I RO for, we'd have to have a chat.
Subliterate Buffooery of the right...
Literate Ignorance of the left...
We Are So Screwed

No glasses drill

Yes. Also, glasses had been fogging up heavily (mask), so we went to this. I thought it was interesting that I shot better. Don’t know if it’s due to less visual info to process, the fact that I’d already shot 100 rounds, luck, or a combo of factors. It forced me to focus on the center of wherever I was aiming, for sure.

I have one nearsighted and one farsighted eye and correct to 20/20.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I’m NOT the NRA

For those who say ROs shouldn't allow this, how would an RO know which shooters require corrective lenses, and whether their uncorrected vision is sufficient for safety?

I have quite a bit of astigmatism, but could shoot safely at pistol distances, with somewhat less accuracy. Not too different from shooting in low light conditions.

Trying to make out a rifle target at 100+ yards would be foolish and unsafe for me, though.
"To initiate a war of aggression...is the supreme international crime" - Nuremberg prosecutor Robert Jackson, 1946

Elmo wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:17 pm For those who say ROs shouldn't allow this, how would an RO know which shooters requires corrective lenses, and whether their uncorrected vision is sufficient for safety?
Speaking solely for myself...
I wouldn't. Know who needs corrective lenses.

It isn't about how well a shooter can see...

...it's about them protecting their eyes.

Fragments fly all over a range, and it's not at all uncommon for bits of jacketing material to make its way back to the firing line, ejected brass flying back to strike the shooter's face.

Our (the range operators and we RO's) only interest is the safety of the shooters. Someone losing an eye on my range isn't what I would call a good day.

Glasses and hearing protection is required on the range at all times...period. No exceptions.
Subliterate Buffooery of the right...
Literate Ignorance of the left...
We Are So Screwed

Damn that’s pretty good with no glasses HotheadPasisan. How far out was that target? I can barely see my wife’s face from across the room without my glasses. :lol:

I remember once I had to do my annual qualify in the Army without my glasses and I barely passed. I’m lucky that we can just hit anywhere on the pop up targets to score a hit.
Always bring a knife to a fist fight, a gun to a knife fight, and never show up to a gun fight.

rolandson wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:43 pm
Elmo wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:17 pm For those who say ROs shouldn't allow this, how would an RO know which shooters requires corrective lenses, and whether their uncorrected vision is sufficient for safety?
Speaking solely for myself...
I wouldn't. Know who needs corrective lenses.

It isn't about how well a shooter can see...

...it's about them protecting their eyes.

Fragments fly all over a range, and it's not at all uncommon for bits of jacketing material to make its way back to the firing line, ejected brass flying back to strike the shooter's face.

Our (the range operators and we RO's) only interest is the safety of the shooters. Someone losing an eye on my range isn't what I would call a good day.

Glasses and hearing protection is required on the range at all times...period. No exceptions.
I assumed from the git-go that the OP meant replacing corrective lenses with plain safety glasses. Nobody who can actually use sights is so blind that they can't tell which way to face to the hot end of the range when they remove their glasses, so I don't see a problem with this.

My preferred shooting glasses are so big and obstructive that I don't feel the need for goggles over them, and no RO has ever called me on that, IIRC. However, I carry plain safety glasses in case either I bring someone who doesn't have them, or if someday an RO does insist I need them, I can put my smaller daily-wear glasses back on and put the safety glasses over them. So, I'm willing to believe that almost everyone has a spare set of safety glasses in their range bag for this sort of drill. I'm sure that's not quite true, but...
IMR4227: Zero to 900 in 0.001 seconds

I'm only killing paper and my self-esteem.