AQT zeroing question

Hello everyone,

I hope you're getting through covid spring alright.

I bought some modified Army Qualification Test targets from Fred's Military M14 Stocks. The instructions covering the four stages of the test mention using the included grid to zero for Stage 1, a reduced sized target simulating a full size target at 100 yards, to be shot at 25 meters.

Keep in mind, all four stages are shot at 25 meters, with the size of the target getting smaller with each stage to simulate 100, 200, 300 and 400 yards.

The instructions then go on to say "You should be able to come down 3 clicks from Stage 1 zero, to be zeroed for stage 2, and come down an additional 1 click (4 clicks total) to be zeroed for Stage 3."
IMG_9382 (1).jpg
So my question is, why would you need to adjust elevation when the target is actually always at 25 meters?
Thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge.

Re: AQT zeroing question

shinzen wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 3:23 pm You would not. Those instructions apply for shooting those stages at real distance, not the 25 meter simulated shooting.
image.png
image.png (1.55 KiB) Viewed 2274 times
Thank you for your response shinzen, logically it makes perfect sense. On the other hand, the instructions are definitely for this particular test at 25 meters. On a different layout, also from Freds, the instructions refer to the same zeroing image as in my original post and state: "The shot groups for stage 1 should be centered on the top X, on the middle X for stage 2 and on the bottom X for stage 3."

The target sheets for that one are marked:
"TARGET, RIFLE "D" (100 yd) Reduced for 25-meter Qualification and Training (Stage 1)"
"TARGET, RIFLE "D" (200 yd) Reduced for 25-meter Qualification and Training (Stage 2)"
"TARGET, RIFLE "D" (300 yd) Reduced for 25-meter Qualification and Training (Stage 3)"
"TARGET, RIFLE "D" (400 yd) Reduced for 25-meter Qualification and Training (Stage 4)"

Scratching my head, especially because while I'm achieving a consistent 70% hit rate in the top scoring ring, 100% on target offhand on stage 1, I'm shooting consistently low on stages 3 and 4 from the prone position, and that's without adjusting down like the instructions state. That's obviously pointing to my own problems with that position so I'm certainly looking forward to some one on one training with someone who knows what they're doing!

They are saying that the changes, when applied, should move your POI on the X's shown, with the same POA will match as you adjust the sights. That would be accurate and be used when you are shooting the course for long range.

When I took the Appleseed class at 25 yards, there was no adjusting of sights other than making sure you were zeroed properly to begin with.
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

shinzen wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 1:30 pm ... other than making sure you were zeroed properly to begin with.
LOL, yeah, I'm still working on that one!

Thanks very much for the insights, folks. I was all set to attend an Appleseed in April, but I guess I'll be sticking to "self teaching" through reading and youtube videos for awhile longer.