Re: Kel-Tec SU-16a

bajajoaquin wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 5:48 pm
YankeeTarheel wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 4:37 pm
lurker wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 10:57 am much better, thank you.
Why would I lie about it? :see_stars: :see_stars: :see_stars:
I'm not a sociopath and compulsive liar like Duh Furor, Jerkoff Kushner, and Mike Putz.
Without pictures, we just couldn't be sure.
Now that's just low. Have I ever lied to you? (That you detected?)
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

bajajoaquin wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 10:00 pm Probably the wrong forum to use this quote, but here goes.

Trust, but verify!
If yer gonna quote Ray-gun....how do you know I didn't photo-shop those pics?

(BTW, at least one of the NY branch has shot it!)
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

Went to FFL last week to get the process started. It is scheduled to be out of jail tomorrow. I say "scheduled" because CADOJ is running behind. But I've been thinking about it and poking around the internet.

One thing I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned in any comments or reviews is the similarity to the Jeff Cooper/Steyr Scout. It's pretty obvious to me that the SU-16 was heavily influenced by the concept. It's most obvious in the styling. The bipod is very similar in concept and style. The mag storage in the stock, even the little half-moon cutout in the stock wells is similar. Of course, it's not .308 or bolt action, but there are a lot of other similarities. When I saw the Gun Jesus video on the Scout, it totally clicked into place for me.

Obviously, this is no Steyr. But then again, it's also about 25% of the price.

Like all Kel-Tec (or Taurus) goodies, some people love 'em and some people hate 'em. And the haters have rarely ever actually seen one in real life.

I always liked the concept of the SU-16 but they were always more money than I was willing to spend for what they are. The low price of decent ARs made me go with the AR. I look forward to reading your range report!

I need to get my S2Ks out and take pics for lurker and baja some day.
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

SU-16a came home today.

42138444-B5B3-48BC-94F7-824D23C5041C.jpeg
873E2299-9C81-422B-929B-359C958C1EA0.jpeg
Like the Taurus, this is also prone to handling smudges.

It’s also heavier than I expected. I only handled it a bit in the shop and I didn’t notice it. I think after hearing all the comments about how light it is, I expected it to be more toy-like in weight.

The mags click in and out of the stock positively, so they feel like they will stay put, even when full. Trigger feels mushy but that was expected. The takedown pin is all but impossible to put in place, though. This is not something that can be broken down and re-Assembled quickly.

Sort of like 922r (arbitrary nonsensical "common sense" law about imports) but for everything? Glad you got it! Looks pretty cool.
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt