Canada announces immediate ban on 'military-grade' assault weapons

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said the ban includes more than 1,500 makes and models of firearms. There will be a two-year amnesty period for current owners to comply with the prohibition, he said, and legislation will be drafted in the coming months to provide “fair compensation” to them.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/th ... story.html
This is a developing story and will be updated.
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

Re: Canada announces immediate ban on 'military-grade' assault weapons

considering that nearly all of my rifles are either USGI or "clones" of such, something like this here would gut the recent end of my collection: ar15, m14 clone, m1 garand. assuming they're not interested in bolt rifles.

link is updated. specifically mentions mini14 and AR15. apparently the shooter had no permits necessary to possess guns and bought some in the US. looks like trudeau wants to ban handguns too.
i'm retired. what's your excuse?

lurker wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 6:41 pm considering that nearly all of my rifles are either USGI or "clones" of such, something like this here would gut the recent end of my collection: ar15, m14 clone, m1 garand. assuming they're not interested in bolt rifles.

link is updated. specifically mentions mini14 and AR15. apparently the shooter had no permits necessary to possess guns and bought some in the US. looks like trudeau wants to ban handguns too.
Just let Trudeau go out in the Canadian northwest and meet up with the Hungry brown bear or a Brown Bear mother with cubs. He will regret the day he band the weapons.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

here's all i can find:"Police have said that Gabriel Wortman, the 51-year-old assailant in the mass shooting in Nova Scotia, did not have a license to own a firearm in Canada. He was armed with handguns and long-barreled weapons, some of which were obtained in the United States."

i also happened to notice something about "10 killed in toronto van attack". :dizzy: but paywall. never mind, 2018
i'm retired. what's your excuse?

senorgrand wrote:Do we even know what the shooter used? The government has been super hush-hush about it (although they had no problems telling us the name of the shooter).
Canada requires licensing for ownership, and the shooter was not licensed and went to great lengths to violate existing law. This was an opportunity to punish those who had nothing to do with it and ban firearms.

http://www.gazette.gc.ca/rp-pr/p2/2020/ ... 6-eng.html
sbɐɯ ʎʇıɔɐdɐɔ pɹɐpuɐʇs ɟo ןןnɟ ǝɟɐs
ɯɯ6 bdd ɹǝɥʇןɐʍ
13ʞ
"ǝuıqɹɐɔ 1ɐ4ɯ" dɯɐʇsןןoɹ --- ɯoɔos0269ǝן ʇןoɔ
"ǝuıqɹɐɔ ʇuǝɯǝɔɹoɟuǝ ʍɐן sʇןoɔ" dɯɐʇsןןoɹ --- 0269ǝן ʇןoɔ
(béɟ) 59-pɯɐ

I don't see the SKS on that list. They do include mortars, rocket launchers, etc.

The following nine (9) types of firearms and their variants are now prohibited:

•M16, AR-10, AR-15 rifles and M4 carbine.
•Ruger Mini-14 rifle.
•M14 rifle.
•Vz58 rifle.
•Robinson Armament XCR rifle.
•CZ Scorpion EVO 3 carbine and pistol.
•Beretta CX4 Storm carbine.
•SIG Sauer SIG MCX and SIG Sauer SIG MPX carbine and pistol.

Full list here:
http://gazette.gc.ca/rp-pr/p2/2020/2020 ... 6-eng.html
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

Well, this sucks balls. They don't have the equivalent of a 2nd Amendment do they? So this ban was available to lawmakers at any moment. And when the next lunatic breaks all laws and illegally smuggles arms across the borders for a mass shooting, they'll ban alcohol consumption in the country. -Because they can.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

Bisbee wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 12:25 am Well, this sucks balls. They don't have the equivalent of a 2nd Amendment do they? So this ban was available to lawmakers at any moment. And when the next lunatic breaks all laws and illegally smuggles arms across the borders for a mass shooting, they'll ban alcohol consumption in the country. -Because they can.
I seriously doubt they would ban alcohol in Canada. That would cause an uprising for sure.

They already have gun laws that the US would never allow, so this AWB isn't a stretch. Hell, mags are capped at 5 already. I don't know how an AR or Mini-14 with 5 round mags is really as dangerous as they think.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

The ban will be enacted through regulations approved by cabinet, not through legislation in Parliament. Andrew Scheer, the interim leader of the opposition Conservative Party, accused Trudeau of “using the current pandemic and the immediate emotion of the horrific attack in Nova Scotia to push the Liberals’ ideological agenda and make major firearms policy changes.”
According to Statistics Canada, a firearm was used in 249 homicides in 2018, the most recent year for which data was available. A handgun was used in 143 of them. Shotguns, fully automatic firearms, sawed-off rifles and unknown guns were used in the rest.
Gun ownership is relatively common in Canada; the country ranked fifth in a 2018 global survey of civilian firearms per capita. But mass shootings are rarer than in the neighboring United States.

A spate of gun violence in recent years has fueled an increasingly divisive debate over gun control, largely pitting city dwellers, who tend to favor more restrictions, against those in rural Canada.
He'll probably do it via an Order in Council, since Parliament is not sitting because of the virus. Trudeau's Liberals lost a lot of seats in the Western Provinces, he leads a minority government and this order alienates more Westerners.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Bisbee wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 12:25 am Well, this sucks balls. They don't have the equivalent of a 2nd Amendment do they? So this ban was available to lawmakers at any moment. And when the next lunatic breaks all laws and illegally smuggles arms across the borders for a mass shooting, they'll ban alcohol consumption in the country. -Because they can.
During prohibition in the US most of the so called "rum runners" brought in booze from Canada because it was still legal there.

They have the English Bill Of Rights of 1689 that was adopted by parliament after the Glorious Revolution that put William of Orange on the throne.
Protestants may have arms for their defence suitable to their conditions and as allowed by law;
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_of_Rights_1689

According to an article on MSN about 2 days ago, he wanted to include hand guns but they (his party) realized it would cause extreme blowback. Trudeau has wanted to revise the gun laws and the Nova Scotia massacre gave him an opportunity.
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety" Ben Franklin
Beto in wisconsin