Re: Indoor Match?

BTW, if you don't have a pellet trap but do have some unwanted clothing, I found that a flat cardboard box (about 5" thick, like a DVD player might come in) stuffed with crappy old clothes works fine.

Don't trust it with a high-powered air rifle, though. A Crosman 1077 won't challenge it, but a springer or better might get through, particularly with pointed pellets and after the center starts to get shot-out.
IMR4227: Zero to 900 in 0.001 seconds

I'm only killing paper and my self-esteem.

Are we gonna shoot this one-handed or two-handed?

Shot a few pellets today. I'd forgotten how erratically the 24# printer paper rips with wadcutters. Hard to score on the rare shots that I didn't spray to all edges of the target.

blackcarbine wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:03 pm Can I get in the action with a bow and arrow??
Sure, what did you have in mind?

I shoot arrows 6 yards across my basement at a NFAA 5-spot target. Even with a sight, I'm bad enough to miss the X-ring way too often, but for extra fun I like to stick plastic caps off of 2-liter bottles to the target with masking tape. If I don't hit plastic, I consider it a miss. Even back when I practiced regularly, my hit ratio was usually below 0.20, so that's yet another game I suck at, IMHO.

This is another thing I've been failing utterly to practice for far too many months. Not much excuse when it's literally a 10 second walk away AND the ammo is non-consumable.

Buck13 wrote:Are we gonna shoot this one-handed or two-handed?

Shot a few pellets today. I'd forgotten how erratically the 24# printer paper rips with wadcutters. Hard to score on the rare shots that I didn't spray to all edges of the target.
Try getting the paper a little damp before shooting, a few squirts with a spray bottle should be enough to soften it to where the pellets will zoom right through instead of grabbing fibers and ripping.

kronkmusic wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:59 pm Try getting the paper a little damp before shooting, a few squirts with a spray bottle should be enough to soften it to where the pellets will zoom right through instead of grabbing fibers and ripping.
That crossed my mind as I was typing that. Surprised to find that I might have been on the right track! I'll give it a try.
:thumbup:

Buck13 wrote:
kronkmusic wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:59 pm Try getting the paper a little damp before shooting, a few squirts with a spray bottle should be enough to soften it to where the pellets will zoom right through instead of grabbing fibers and ripping.
That crossed my mind as I was typing that. Surprised to find that I might have been on the right track! I'll give it a try.
To be honest I've never actually tried it with pellets but I've seen my girl use that trick in arts and crafts projects, like if she has to push a dowel through a sheet of construction paper. Let me know if it actually works, I'm very curious now.

kronkmusic wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:32 pm Cardboard backer might also help to support the paper immediately surrounding the hole that the pellet punches and prevent ripping.
That was with a fresh piece of cardboard!

UtahGuy202 wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:41 am I have 2 BB guns. I've been getting bored being indoors so much lately that I've considered shooting them inside at cans or something similar. The problem is that I live in a one bedroom apartment so it's probably not a good idea. :no:
Actual BBs or lead pellets? Shooting lead in your living space is not a great idea. The highest lead test I had was after the period during which I was shooting pellets in my garage the most. Might not be unrelated facts.

They do make pellets out of zinc or something, though. I've never bought any.

Buck13 wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:23 pm
UtahGuy202 wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:41 am I have 2 BB guns. I've been getting bored being indoors so much lately that I've considered shooting them inside at cans or something similar. The problem is that I live in a one bedroom apartment so it's probably not a good idea. :no:
Actual BBs or lead pellets? Shooting lead in your living space is not a great idea. The highest lead test I had was after the period during which I was shooting pellets in my garage the most. Might not be unrelated facts.

They do make pellets out of zinc or something, though. I've never bought any.
Good to know.

I taped the scaled down target sheet to a cardboard box and took 30 shots at 15 feet. I'm going to try 5 shots per target next time to see if that makes the holes easier to differentiate. If not, I'll try scaling up the targets a tad and go back to 21 feet.

Scoring crowded shots will be a problem (although I'm not consistent enough to suffer from it as much as I'd like). Smallbore rifle shooters fire only one shot at each bullseye. That seems like a pain.

We could try three shots per bull and see how that goes. Is 18 shots too few for a match? Could go to 36, on two pages of targets.

Here's a proposed match rules set. Please comment, and we can get a May match going. I'm proposing three classes: pellet and BB, rifled and smoothbore. Since BB-only guns are typically smoothbore, there are three classes: Pellet, BB rifled, BB smooth. I pulled the sheet from the regular match and changed the rules to fit the different circumstances. I'd also suggest that we post our results to the match thread (omitting our real names).

Match Details
This is a modified match to accommodate shooting “indoors.” The intent is to be shot with an air gun, either pistol or rifle. Because many airguns are single-shot, we will shoot only a single course with the slow fire.

Targets
You will need three targets – The resized targets posted by member Buck13 in the “Indoor Match” thread. I’ve attached on the Match thread. There are six bulls per sheet, and you will shoot three shots at each bull to help with scoring.

Course of Fire
The LGC match is an 18-shot event with one stage. There will be three shots per bull, six bulls per sheet.
Slow Fire:
18 shots "slow fire" at 20 feet from the muzzle. Three shots per bull. Total time: 10 minutes.

Scoring
Totaling Your Score: We know this seems obvious (because it is), but when a
shooter is used to other scoring styles, self-scoring a postal match can be confusing. When self-scoring a target, many shooters find it easiest to start with the outer rings and work inward. For example, on a B2 target you would start by counting hits in the 4 ring.
Bonus points: There is only one way to earn bonus points in this match – hit inside the X ring on the B3 targets. Score 11 points for each hit in the X rings.

+Tough Scoring Calls: Here are some basic rules that answer the most common
scoring questions. If an edge of a bullet hole touches the outer ring of the next higher scoring area, enter the higher score. If the edge of a keyholed (tipped bullet) touches the higher ring, enter the higher score. In either case it must be an actual bullet hole, not an extended tear mark from a bullet hole. If it’s a truly close call, give yourself the benefit of the doubt. But don’t fudge this. Another iffy problem involves very tight groups. Sometimes large, tight groups create a hole large enough for a bullet to pass through without leaving a trace. An example: if you have such a group after a 10-shot string and can find only nine holes in the target, assume the 10th went through that enlarged hole and give yourself that score. Again, no fudging. If you know you blew one, don’t use the black hole theory. A great source for scoring info is the scoring tutorial printed by the Greater Boston Pistol League: http://www.gbpl.org/pdfs/GBPL_Scoring.pdf

The Score Sheet: See the next page for an example of a score sheet you can use. Copy it or make something similar. Any scoring form that properly indicates the number of hits in each ring as well as the total score for each stage of fire is acceptable. If you do make another kind of form, be sure to include all the entry details shown on the sample below – Division, Sights, User name, Real name, Pistol used, etc. Submit a copy of your score by each deadline to: postalmatch@theliberalgunclub.com. Please mark the entry email “Indoor Bullseye Match.” An easy way to submit your scores is to take an image of your score sheet and email it to the postalmatch address. PDFs are also fine. Please note that you do not need to send images of your targets unless you are particularly proud of your marksmanship.

LGC Bullseye Club Score Sheet.
Grand Total _______
LGC Match Number: ___
Caliber: Rifled ___ Smoothbore ___
Sights: Iron ___ Glass____
User Name:
Real Name (private):
Gun/Arm Used:
Comments:
Submit a copy of your score by the deadline to: postalmatch@theliberalgunclub.com.
Last modified 24 April, 2020