Re: Building a tiered garden...help!

YankeeTarheel wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:32 pm
senorgrand wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:13 pm I was going to use these bad boys:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Pavestone-3 ... /202274512
Those are nearly identical for what I have for my pool--mine have slightly different front face but that's irrelevant.
Be certain where you start your wall is far enough back. I don't remember exactly but I believe that you're supposed to be back twice the height of the wall. So if you want to go up 3', you have to be back 6'. I won't swear to it, and you should check, otherwise you'll need an engineer. Also check with your local building codes and permitting needs. If you were required to get a permit, and didn't, and there's an accident, your insurance won't cover you and the courts will back them.
Codes? Permitting? huh? ;)

Thanks for the guidelines!

"Person, woman, man, camera, TV."

senorgrand wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:04 pm
YankeeTarheel wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:32 pm
senorgrand wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:13 pm I was going to use these bad boys:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Pavestone-3 ... /202274512
Those are nearly identical for what I have for my pool--mine have slightly different front face but that's irrelevant.
Be certain where you start your wall is far enough back. I don't remember exactly but I believe that you're supposed to be back twice the height of the wall. So if you want to go up 3', you have to be back 6'. I won't swear to it, and you should check, otherwise you'll need an engineer. Also check with your local building codes and permitting needs. If you were required to get a permit, and didn't, and there's an accident, your insurance won't cover you and the courts will back them.
Codes? Permitting? huh? ;)

Thanks for the guidelines!
I was a moderator on a swimming pool forum for 12-14 years (who remembers?) and the advice about permits, particularly for above ground pools shocked people, not realizing if there is a tragic accident at an uninspected/approved pool they'd lose EVERYTHING in a law suit--and insurance wouldn't pay for it.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

senorgrand wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:59 pm
Mason wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:43 pm For your screen, pitisporum is evergreen and grows fast and well in CA. You will have to cut it into a hedge or it will get very tall.
Thanks!

I'm actually thinking about using ornamental grasses. I'd like something established soon, something I don't have to fuss with and something drought tolerant
Pitisporum doesn't need much water, grows pretty quickly and makes little flowers with a lovely fragrance this time of year that the bees adore.

Senorgarand, you might want to consider multiple levels a foot or so high. They'd act as steps, to facilitate movement through your garden,
require only a shallow base below grade, and its highly unlikely you would need to do any permitting.
If it was my project, I would probably use construction grade cedar 2x12's treated with something non-toxic on edge, staked with 2x2's or even rebar dowels, as their narrow width would minimize the lost of planting space.
Another thing to consider is if each terrace is two foot or so wide, you could easily slope each of them 2 or more inches and deal with six to eight inches of your elevation change that way, with no ill effects to your beds. Whatever you decide, best of luck, and happy gardening.
"it's a goddamn impossible way of life"
"And so it goes"

senorgrand wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:59 pm what's good width for a vegi patch? 3'?
Now that's above my pay-grade! I only have ONE piece of advice: If you plant zucchini, only plant one plant, or you'll have SO much zucchini, you won't be able to give it away. I can't tell you how many people I know didn't take this advice and ended up with "The Trouble With Tribbles" worth of zucchini! SERIOUSLY! (mint is similar)

That's all I know about vegetable gardening.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

Depends on what you want to grow there. Two feet works for me. Some plants get wider than two feet over all, like zukes. Yep. One plant. Make one or two levels wider than two, like three or four. The rest you can get away with two.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

YankeeTarheel wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:52 pm I'd worry that P/T will leach into the soil and poison whatever you're growing. I could be wrong about that.
But the idea of lower stepped terraces could work well....I like it!
"2x12's treated with something non-toxic"

I'd never suggest anything like pressure treated .
"And so it goes"

geno wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:17 pm
YankeeTarheel wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:52 pm I'd worry that P/T will leach into the soil and poison whatever you're growing. I could be wrong about that.
But the idea of lower stepped terraces could work well....I like it!
"2x12's treated with something non-toxic"

I'd never suggest anything like pressure treated .
:oops2: (missed that!)

senorgrand wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:28 pm Well, 2' would work for the bottom row, because vines could down the 3' foot wall below.
So vine type plants melon etc. would grow down; that would work.
I use a lot of different spacing now days, in the past with tons of room I planted almost everything on two foot centers.
But now days I'll squeeze stuff that takes up less space, like carrots, radishes into 12" rows with two foot rows on either side;
for me to lumber around in.
Something like lettuces can almost be broadcast in an area; then you can harvest younger plants for salads while creating the
space the remaining plants need to grow to maturity. Any seed pack will have recommended spacing, but I'd do some reading
on raised bed gardening, which you'd essentially be doing. See what spacing they talk about.
The last (upper) level I'd put something like pole beans and tomatoes, at the back of the bed they could be supported by a simple trellis
or poles that you'd be able to harvest from behind in your landscaped area.
"And so it goes"

Ok...seeds are ordered

I did an exploratory dig...went about 2' down.

The soil is about 1/3 top soil, 1/3 clay and 1/3 chalk & sand. With proper amendment and churning, I think gardening potential is good.

This does mean that any retaining wall will need a crushed base (more crap to buy) and probably a rock backfill. Damn...more ingredients.

I'm thinking of 5 rows of bricks, with one below grade. that will keep the slope untouched above the wall..and a modest visible 12" wall. That would allow me a 3' wide garden patch. I'll deal with the rest of the slope post-corona.

How deep do I need to go for a proper garden? Given soil conditions, would 12" be enough?

"Person, woman, man, camera, TV."

I looked at seeds at Home Depot today...then decided "Nah, not today!" Don't like gardening much. I used to like house plants, then my fiancee, now wife, moved in and one of her cats just HAD to dig up my aloes, repeatedly. He just couldn't stand to see them in their pots so he dug 'em up!

senorgrand wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:53 pm The depot wants $80 to ship me $300 in blocks. It's literally 3 miles from my house.

Seeds in route. I contacted the local guy about dropping off mulch and fill gravel.
Borrow a pickup. I put a yard & 1/3 of mason's sand in mine, no problem.