Re: camping and backpacking

lurker wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:33 pm
SpaceRanger42 wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:43 pm All the people I know that "aged out" of civil war re reenactment went on to Rendezvous and mountain man stuff. :)
out of the frying pan, into the fire. we do have a hawken. and fort dobbs, http://www.fortdobbs.org/ a french-and-indian era frontier fort is not far. i've been there, very nice, recommend it.
no more public history for me, thanks, i did my tour. again. and again.
YankeeTarheel wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:37 pm REI has a small camp stove that uses wood and has a heat generator than can recharge a cell phone--and a little fan to fan the fire.
i've seen someone talking about a "biolite" stove. wood is good if it hasn't been raining. i think i'd rather a solar panel atop my pack for the camera in my primitive flipphone.
I still remember that tree in Wizard of Oz slapping someone who picked an apple! :mrgreen:

I'm not camping--I'm going to a situation where I need to be prepared to be self-sufficient: Water, power, etc. I'm bringing semi-portable solar panels--car trunk portable, not back-packing. Freeze-dried food, at least a month's worth.
Of course, we could have power and water...and I should have a full propane and gas cans. I'll be able to get plenty of wood, too, as long as it's not poisonwood! :crazy: :cry: :roll: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

I’ve done a bit of backpacking in my day. I’m gonna second and third the the hiking poles suggestion, particularly because you said you don’t currently have good broken in boots. The AT is steep and rocky.
'Sorry stupid people but there are some definite disadvantages to being stupid."

-John Cleese

I still advise buying some hiking poles and using them on local trails. My wife and I call it “Pole Zen”. When we’re hiking with them and suddenly realize how fast we’re crushing trail. Once you get the the rhythm down they really are game changers.
'Sorry stupid people but there are some definite disadvantages to being stupid."

-John Cleese

Lurker, I have a nifty little tarp tent (made by TarpTent) I'd be happy to loan you if you want to try a lightweight shelter (not sure what shipping would be, but probable not much). It's a little fiddly to set up compared to a traditional tent, but it's 1.5 pounds.
https://www.tarptent.com/product/protrail/

For shoes, trail running or "approach" shoes are nice and comfy. If you get the weight on your back down, serious ankle support is no longer necessary (unless you have ankle problems or are running over scree slopes). Smartwool makes the best socks I've ever used and are wool rather than synthetic, so only reek of wet sheep rather than dank decomposing feet at the end of a few days. I'd offer to loan you those, too, but that might be disgusting. :laugh:

Heard it from a friend: shrooms for hiking. This guy said that once, while grey matter dripped from his ears, he sat beside a small waterfall, a robust riffle really, to examine gravity. At this time his long hair was pulled back and fastened with a red hair tie. As it so happened, while gravity was being examined, a humming bird for a few minutes decided to determine whether the hair tie was either a flower or a tasteless and crude deception. That was cool, he told me.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

CDFingers wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:31 pm Heard it from a friend: shrooms for hiking. This guy said that once, while grey matter dripped from his ears, he sat beside a small waterfall, a robust riffle really, to examine gravity. At this time his long hair was pulled back and fastened with a red hair tie. As it so happened, while gravity was being examined, a humming bird for a few minutes decided to determine whether the hair tie was either a flower or a tasteless and crude deception. That was cool, he told me.

CDFingers
Good times!

i see my pics got trashed. so here they are again. besides i think we all need to take a break from politics for a bit. come back refreshed.
IMG_0091.jpg
IMG_0084.jpg
IMG_0085.jpg
bought myself a pair of merrill hiking shoes. not too awfully expensive, interesting insoles which roll my ankles to the inside a bit, actually feel better. walking the dog daily, it's good to get the fresh air and meet the neighbors, if only to know which ones to avoid.
i'm retired. what's your excuse?

Similar backstory, similar plans:
A handful of my buddies and I are doing a trip in Upper Peninsula Michigan this fall. Just a little 30-ish mile loop. Some days it's all I can think about. We've all stayed in pretty good shape, but we're all still doing some training to make sure we enjoy ourselves instead of suffer and struggle. Keep a journal and post pics!

lurker wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:45 am i see my pics got trashed. so here they are again. besides i think we all need to take a break from politics for a bit. come back refreshed.
IMG_0091.jpgIMG_0084.jpgIMG_0085.jpg
bought myself a pair of merrill hiking shoes. not too awfully expensive, interesting insoles which roll my ankles to the inside a bit, actually feel better. walking the dog daily, it's good to get the fresh air and meet the neighbors, if only to know which ones to avoid.
Never thought I'd appreciate a Eureka product that didn't suck! :laugh:

Never like Merrills--just never fit me right. But Northface makes Gortex hiking sneakers that are great. And Ecco Tracks are the best (well, Mephistos are actually better but BOOOCOOOOO bux! And there's no better sandal than Mephisto Sharks. Period).
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

lurker wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:10 pm i believe the trail dips down into civilization now and again, with libraries and free wifi. still looking at solar usb chargers for the RCA tablet and cell phone.
Sounds like weight. Do you really need to be connected? A phone on airplane mode will last a few days. Good enough for pictures. What more do you need?

wooglin wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:16 pm
lurker wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:10 pm i believe the trail dips down into civilization now and again, with libraries and free wifi. still looking at solar usb chargers for the RCA tablet and cell phone.
Sounds like weight. Do you really need to be connected? A phone on airplane mode will last a few days. Good enough for pictures. What more do you need?
connectivity is what we're trying to get away from. my little flip phone works fine for taking pics. a solar charger would be nice. the tablet most like will stay home

Do NOT skimp on boots. All your old stuff will still work, albeit a bit heavier than today's gear, but don't take a short cut or buy cheap boots and get heavy good socks. If you get wet feet, stop and change socks. I learned the hard way beau coup years ago. But it was worth every pain. Loved backpacking and camping - just wish I still could.
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

Wino wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:03 pm wish I still could.
exactly. i've done the math, at best i can expect 7,000 more days, less and less capability toward the end. seems like a lot, but very, very finite. i'm viewing this as something of a "use it or lose it" scenario. my back hurts more the more i sit, but most everything else still works. might as well enjoy what i can while i can.

Wino wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:03 pm Do NOT skimp on boots. All your old stuff will still work, albeit a bit heavier than today's gear, but don't take a short cut or buy cheap boots and get heavy good socks. If you get wet feet, stop and change socks. I learned the hard way beau coup years ago. But it was worth every pain. Loved backpacking and camping - just wish I still could.
Great advice here. You can always rest a while if the gear is heavy, but the boots and dry socks are almost as important as water.
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

When I was young up to my early 20's I LOVED camping out, in my little 2 person canvas tent (still have it). I camped out in my parents back yard in my pre-teens and teens. Later in my early twenties, I still did it, no problem sleeping on the floor of the tent with no cushioning, just ground with the rocks and roots removed. I slept outside like that and got the very best sleep I've ever had --and when it rained, and rained HARD, I slept even better.

But when my eldest son was young we slept out in the back yard, and I had a thin air mattress. I was in my 40's and I was totally miserable. Age had caught up with me in that one way, even with a pad. Haven't tried it since...
Ah, well. I STILL remember those wonderful nights in upstate NY, when even in the summer, the night air was chilly and the sleeping bag was warm and I slept SO well!