Re: Impact of loss for firearm ownership in Virginia

I just sent 4 notes thanking these Senators for doing the right thing on HB 961. I'm hoping you can join in supporting them with a note to let them know that we are here and appreciate what they've done.
The emails are:
Sen. Chap Petersen district34@senate.virginia.gov
Sen. R. Creigh Deeds district25@senate.virginia.gov
Sen. John Edwards district21@senate.virginia.gov
Sen. Scott Surovell district36@senate.virginia.gov
I: ALL GUNS ARE ALWAYS LOADED
II: NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT WILLING TO DESTROY
III: KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET
IV: BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET AND WHAT'S BEHIND IT

Article about yesterday.
Sen. John Edwards, 3 other Democrats join 6 Republicans to stop assault weapons bill for this year
RICHMOND — The Senate Judiciary Committee on Monday halted for the year a highly controversial bill to ban the sale or transfer of assault weapons and the possession of “high capacity” magazines of 12 or more rounds.

The Democratic-controlled committee voted 10-5, with four Democrats — Sens. John Edwards of Roanoke, Creigh Deeds of Bath, Scott Surovell of Fairfax County and Chap Petersen of Fairfax City — joining Republicans to postpone consideration of the bill and have the Virginia State Crime Commission study the proposal before it’s brought up again next year.

It was a rare victory for the gun rights advocates who have seen numerous other gun control bills pass through the General Assembly this winter. Gov. Ralph Northam and Speaker of the House Eileen Filler-Corn supported the bill.

SB207, a special class bill that passed the Senate 40-0, was killed in the House.
http://lis.virginia.gov/cgi-bin/legp604 ... +sum+SB207
SUMMARY AS INTRODUCED:
Purchase of service handguns or other weapons by retired sworn law-enforcement officers. Removes the requirement that a sworn law-enforcement officer be employed in a full-time capacity at the time of his retirement to purchase his service handgun.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/vi ... ing%20list
Interesting URL.
“AK-47s or AR-15s — I think they’re impractical, and I can’t imagine that people really need to own those things. In fact, they are weapons of war,” Deeds said. “But when you’re trying to define that as a matter of code, you’ve got to be really careful.”
The House has approved the governor’s seven other gun-control bills, which would:
●Enact universal background checks on private gun sales.
●Require an owner to report the loss or theft of a firearm within 24 hours.
●Give local governments the authority to ban weapons from public buildings and at certain events.
●Create a “red flag” law, or extreme risk protective order, under which authorities can temporarily seize firearms from someone deemed a threat to himself or others.
●Limit handgun purchases to one per month, a policy that was in effect in Virginia until 2012.
●Tighten the law prohibiting access to firearms for someone subject to a protective order.
●Make it a felony to “recklessly” leave a firearm within reach of anyone 18 or younger, up from the current age of 14, a measure known as “child access prevention.”
The Senate has passed five of the governor’s bills. Majority Leader Richard L. Saslaw (D-Fairfax) withdrew his own assault weapons bill, which had caused an uproar because it would have banned possession, not just sales. The chamber’s bill on lost or stolen firearms was rejected in a floor vote, with Petersen and Sen. Lynwood W. Lewis Jr. (D-Accomack) voting against it. Its version of the child-access-prevention bill died in committee, with Petersen and Deeds joining Republicans in opposition.

Virginia lawmaker: Man with assault rifle tried to coerce me at my home
Nope.
Del. Mark Levine, D-Alexandria, said an armed man stood outside his kitchen window in an effort to coerce him to change his vote.

“On Saturday, a man with a large assault weapon with a large extended magazine came to my home. He stood outside my kitchen window for a couple of hours or so,” Levine said Monday on the Virginia House floor.
"Large assault weapon" and "large extended magazine" so there was compound largeness.
Alexandria police Lt. Courtney Ballentine confirmed that officers responded to Levine’s home Saturday and said the unnamed man was not trespassing on Levine’s property.

Thanks 'featureless' for stepping up. I really believe sending emails of support and if you're a voting Democrat letting these Senators know that is important. More politicians need to get out of the bubble and hear more than one point of view. Republicans glaze over when I refer to education and healthcare as a civil right, Democrats look at me as if I've got wings, horns and a tail if I say something in support of the 2nd amendment. Both sides need to pull their heads out...

Today:

SB 71 Firearms; possession on school property.
http://lis.virginia.gov/cgi-bin/legp604 ... 1+sum+SB71

SB 173 Stun weapons; prohibits possession on school property, exemptions.
http://lis.virginia.gov/cgi-bin/legp604 ... +sum+SB173

SB 436 Virginia Voluntary Do Not Sell Firearms List; established, penalty.
http://lis.virginia.gov/cgi-bin/legp604 ... +sum+SB436
This could get interesting if adopted widely. Perhaps companies would try to require it for new hires. I could see this expanding greatly.

DispositionMatrix wrote:Today:
This could get interesting if adopted widely. Perhaps companies would try to require it for new hires. I could see this expanding greatly.
I don’t understand this one...who would put themselves on this list then try to buy a gun?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mandaliberal wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:31 pm
I don’t understand this one...who would put themselves on this list then try to buy a gun?

I suspect it's for signaling virtue. And if one took that to a company as an issue on which the company could also signal its virtue, a corporate campaign would be born.

DispositionMatrix wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:37 pm

I suspect it's for signaling virtue. And if one took that to a company as an issue on which the company could also signal its virtue, a corporate campaign would be born.
I see this as a way for legislators to proclaim themselves anti-gun and hold it over the heads of challengers. It's a stupid idea.
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

Mandaliberal wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:48 pm
DispositionMatrix wrote:

So a company would/could require prospective employees to put themselves on the list? Fuck that...

[/quote]

Sounds sorta unconstitutional and unenforceable. Signing away constitutional rights stops at company property.

I can see a GOP administration allowing it, though.
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

A Republican Virginia Senator's take:
https://www.facebook.com/stanleyforsena ... 7981753628
Senator Bill Stanley
Tonight (just now) on the Senate floor, I tried to amend the state budget to give all of our men and women of Virginia’s Sheriffs’ Departments a 3% raise for this year. It was defeated, with all democrats voting “no.” When I went to get a vote count from the clerk, Majority Leader Dick Saslaw came up and said this to me: “Hey Stanley, you want to know why your sheriffs didn’t get a raise? —because they came to our committees and said that they weren’t going to enforce our laws.” When I asked him which law was he talking about, he said “gun control”. I was shocked that the Democrats are now punishing our local Sheriff’s Departments (by eliminating a pay raise for them), for the their choice to protect and defend our citizens’ Second Amendment rights. Democrats want to restrict a citizen’s right to protect themselves, but won’t pay our sheriffs’ deputies to protect Virginians. Hypocrisy has a name.

K9s wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:47 pm
DispositionMatrix wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:37 pm

I see this as a way for legislators to proclaim themselves anti-gun and hold it over the heads of challengers. It's a stupid idea.
Allegedly, it is being considered today.

DispositionMatrix wrote:A Republican Virginia Senator's take:
Senator Bill Stanley
Tonight (just now) on the Senate floor, I tried to amend the state budget to give all of our men and women of Virginia’s Sheriffs’ Departments a 3% raise for this year. It was defeated, with all democrats voting “no.” When I went to get a vote count from the clerk, Majority Leader Dick Saslaw came up and said this to me: “Hey Stanley, you want to know why your sheriffs didn’t get a raise? —because they came to our committees and said that they weren’t going to enforce our laws.” When I asked him which law was he talking about, he said “gun control”. I was shocked that the Democrats are now punishing our local Sheriff’s Departments (by eliminating a pay raise for them), for the their choice to protect and defend our citizens’ Second Amendment rights. Democrats want to restrict a citizen’s right to protect themselves, but won’t pay our sheriffs’ deputies to protect Virginians. Hypocrisy has a name.
Well if I told my employer I wasn’t going to do any part of my job, I wouldn’t get a raise...and to use a phrase I hear a lot from Republicans “if you don’t like your job go find another” or alternatively “if your job doesn’t pay enough go find one that does”

Mandaliberal wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:56 pm
DispositionMatrix wrote:A Republican Virginia Senator's take:
Senator Bill Stanley
Well if I told my employer I wasn’t going to do any part of my job, I wouldn’t get a raise...and to use a phrase I hear a lot from Republicans “if you don’t like your job go find another” or alternatively “if your job doesn’t pay enough go find one that does”

Yeah, I don't put a lot of faith in Virginia Republican victimhood claims. They have been in power too long and became too corrupt. Hypocrisy does have a name: VA GOP.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

Roanoke College Poll: Virginians prefer all Democrats to Trump but many Dems underwater on favorability
Gun control

Gun control has been a dominating issue in this session of the General Assembly, and opinion regarding the issue has changed very little. A plurality said it is more important to protect the right of Americans to own guns (48%) than to control gun ownership (41%). A majority said that a gun in the possession of a law-abiding citizen is more likely to be used in self-defense (63%) than in an accidental shooting (24%). A plurality of those responding (34%) thought that stricter gun laws would make them safer, while 25 percent said stricter laws would make them less safe. Those responses show significant stability over several years, except the percentage that believes stricter laws would make them less safe more than doubled since we asked the question in 2013.

Quoting Mandaliberal:
"Well if I told my employer I wasn’t going to do any part of my job, I wouldn’t get a raise...and to use a phrase I hear a lot from Republicans “if you don’t like your job go find another” or alternatively “if your job doesn’t pay enough go find one that does”

If I were put in a situation where I was punished by my employer for not being willing to commit an illegal act on their behalf, I would hire a lawyer. There are legal protections in place for situations like this. Any time your defense is that you were "following orders" or "they did it too", think about the Nuremberg Trials and how that can work out.

VA Sheriff Not Backing Down, Despite Threats From Lawmakers
Culpeper County, Virginia Sheriff Scott Jenkins says he will not be intimidated by anti-gun legislators who’ve turned back a pay raise for sheriffs and deputies, and who are threatening to go after pensions as well, all because a number of sheriffs have spoken out in opposition to Gov. Ralph Northam’s gun control agenda.

I had the chance to sit down and talk with Sheriff Jenkins at the Townhall Media booth at CPAC 2020, and one of the first things I asked him about was the retribution we’ve seen by Democrats in the legislature who are angry about the pushback from local law enforcement.

“I’m not surprised anymore,” the sheriff told me. “The level that that bunch will stoop to at this juncture, seeing everything I’ve seen in the last two months, nothing surprises me from them. They are bought and paid for. Their far left, liberal agenda is beyond anything we could have comprehended, and that’s why we’ve never seen an uprising like you have through over 100 localities in the state. When have you seen that for any topic?”

Brady president:
I’m not giving up on an assault weapons ban in Virginia
https://outline.com/VKteSe
It’s why we’ve made so much progress. Though this vote is a setback, the General Assembly still has the opportunity to pass the remainder of the “Governor’s Package,” seven other common-sense gun-safety bills, this legislative session. We cannot waver; the General Assembly must pass these all of bills and send them to Gov. Ralph Northam (D) for his signature.

We are heartened by the progress we have made in just one year, including the passage of these bills. But, in the months ahead, we will not forget that we still have the opportunity to ban weapons of war in our commonwealth next year.