Re: shot one of these today at the range, semi m249

K9s wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:09 pm Yeah, that would get old quick. I wouldn't want to pay what the owner probably paid for it, but I would shoot it.
ok, ok, you made me look it up. yeah, you'd have to want one pretty bad, $8500 bad.
https://fnamerica.com/products/rifles/fn-m249s/
for some reason i've been thinking this design was vietnam era, turns out it's late '80s, guess i need to study up more.
i'm retired. what's your excuse?

lurker wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:53 pm semiauto clone of the squad automatic weapon in 5.56. 17 lbs, so recoil very manageable.
At 17 LBS, I would think it was virtually non existent. bouncing barrel is another issue all together and would depend on rate of fire.

senorgrand wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:52 pm Yeah, you could get a nice BAR and/or Thompson for that.
only if you mean semi auto versions. if so, you could by 2 bars or 1 bar and 1 thompson, and in this second case have money left over.

looking over their web site, i see their least expensive AR runs $1,100 and goes up rapidly from there. i suspect we're paying an FN premium, at least double, maybe triple what could be had in a competitive marketplace. capitalism is grand until someone has a monopoly, and then it's still grand for that someone, not so much for everyone else. the patents, if any, must be 30+ years old by now.
i'm retired. what's your excuse?

senorgrand wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:25 pm oh yeah, gotta imagine a full auto thommy gun goes for at least 50k
I did a quick google before my post above, and shockingly NFA Thompsons were going for about half that. I do seem to recall a time they were inching towards the 50K point, but found couple dealers listing between 19k and 35k for a Thompson. I was surprised, I was expecting more. my first thought on the 19k examples...what was wrong with them.

same site had a bunch of M16s as well, price seems to have dipped for them too.