Re: A boring topic

Modern gun owners are persuaded by advertising to accessorize, getting one product for the bore, another for the outside, yet another for use after cleaning, one for use if you get copper fouling, and one to use if you don't. Costs a C note to clean your gun these days. For me, one bottle solvent, one of oil. Old t shirts.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

CDFingers wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:21 pm Modern gun owners are persuaded by advertising to accessorize, getting one product for the bore, another for the outside, yet another for use after cleaning, one for use if you get copper fouling, and one to use if you don't. Costs a C note to clean your gun these days. For me, one bottle solvent, one of oil. Old t shirts.

CDFingers
Amen.

Hoppes number 9, some oil, and hunks of old, dead, t-shirts FTW. The only 'boutique' product I have in addition to these is an OD quart can of LSA, because an OD can of just about anything is cool. :lol:

Solvent is good to have and I think many people use Hoppes #9 because they were taught to use it on the bore. I was. Never used it on anything else because I never thought about it.
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

I've been using it on my guns inside and out for half a century now, haven't had a problem yet but if I ever do I'll post something about it. I use it strictly as a cleaner and when everything looks good I wipe it dry and give it a thin film of oil. That includes the bore. It will not work well for preventing rust.

CDFingers wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:19 pm P1010141.JPG

My car air freshener.

CDFingers
Great idea! Dabbing a little behind the ears gets expensive.
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

Here's the best kept secret in firearms ownership: hot, soapy water. Wash, rinse, repeat and have a Q-tip and lube of your choice for reassembly.

Carry on.
If liberals interpreted the Second Amendment the way they interpret the rest of the Bill of Rights, there would be law professors arguing that gun ownership is mandatory. - Mickey Kaus, The New Republic

MayhemVI wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:02 am Here's the best kept secret in firearms ownership: hot, soapy water. Wash, rinse, repeat and have a Q-tip and lube of your choice for reassembly.

Carry on.
that's how i do my black powder guns. the hotter the water the better
i keep hearing stories about marines taking their guns in the shower with them.
i'm retired. what's your excuse?

lurker wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:14 am
MayhemVI wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:02 am Here's the best kept secret in firearms ownership: hot, soapy water. Wash, rinse, repeat and have a Q-tip and lube of your choice for reassembly.

Carry on.
that's how i do my black powder guns. the hotter the water the better
i keep hearing stories about marines taking their guns in the shower with them.
Well...people that eat crayons and that are on long deployments should be given some latitude on their choice of shower partners. :roflmao:

I have a handful of American Gunsmithing Institute vids. The gent in the vids uses simple green, a water rinse, plenty of off-camera time for drying, compressed air, and a full oiling. I've used the method for a thorough cleaning on a number of handguns, both with metal and polymer frames. These cleanings were after a full tear-down, and drying took place in a warm oven and were followed by compressed air. It definitely works. It's also crazy time consuming. A couple of patches damp with Hoppes, a bore brush, a toothbrush, and a patch with a couple of drops of oil, takes minutes.

I've always used Ballistol and I do have a bore cleaner if needed (with a snake), can't remember what brand but it's not Hoppe's. I've never used Hoppe's. I too have always been concerned about the finish on my guns. Hickok45 uses Ballistol but I started using it before I saw his videos.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

highdesert wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:51 am I've always used Ballistol and I do have a bore cleaner if needed (with a snake), can't remember what brand but it's not Hoppe's. I've never used Hoppe's. I too have always been concerned about the finish on my guns. Hickok45 uses Ballistol but I started using it before I saw his videos.
What concerns do you have about the finish on your guns? ...hmmm...maybe a better question is: What finishes are you concerned about?

Hoppe's has never harmed any finish on any firearm that I've ever heard of.
If liberals interpreted the Second Amendment the way they interpret the rest of the Bill of Rights, there would be law professors arguing that gun ownership is mandatory. - Mickey Kaus, The New Republic

This might be as good a thread as any to say this. I have a silicone cloth that I use last on recently cleaned guns--on the outside, I should say. Once they're clean enough, I wipe them one last time with an old clean t-shirt, then I rub it with the silicone cloth. I think I've gone through six or seven of these over the years, as they last pretty long. You can tell by the smell when they're used up. They're about six bucks a piece.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

highdesert wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:51 am I've always used Ballistol and I do have a bore cleaner if needed (with a snake), can't remember what brand but it's not Hoppe's. I've never used Hoppe's. I too have always been concerned about the finish on my guns. Hickok45 uses Ballistol but I started using it before I saw his videos.
You had a deprived childhood, never to have had the smell of Hope’s No.9. Hope’s No. 9 is almost as good as Love Potion Number 9. :yahoo:
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

Anybody ever read the old Army manuals for the 1903 Springfield or the M1911 45acp pistol. I’m talking about the ones approved by the Department of Cavalry.

The manuals speak to cleaning your weapons with soap hot water and a stiff bristle rush the drying and oiling lightly. My dad enlisted in the 5th US Horse Cavalry in1040 and afternoon shooting on the rifle or pistol range at Ft. Sam Houston the first thing they did was clean the weapons with lye soap and hot water per the manual.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,