Re: Impact of loss for firearm ownership in Virginia

So, I'm assuming the worst and preparing for an AWB. I plan to move all my newly verbotten kit out of state to a relative's house. I don't want to go through the grandfathering BS and I'm pretty sure that possession of spare parts, kits, etc will still be considered a class 6 felony. So I'm going to have to purchase a new gun safe, will probably get a membership at the local range, then they're be ongoing travel expenses. Not to mention getting an out of state conceal carry permit due to proposed law stripping reciprocity. Maybe a weekend every two months to go shoot and manage things. Fun. It's so funny, Republicans never made me a felon, Democrats did (golf clap). Of course Republicans have made people they don't like felons as well. Such is American politics, if you don't like a certain group pass laws to make them criminals. Nice.

Why This Antifa Group Is Siding With Thousands of Pro-Gun Conservatives In Virginia
Instead, local antifa will join thousands of conservatives who are expected to descend on Richmond that day in protesting pending gun-control legislation introduced by Democratic lawmakers.

Antifa Seven Hills, based in Richmond, are opposing the slew of gun bills introduced by the newly Democratic Legislature since November, because they say those types of laws are used primarily to criminalize poor people, minorities, and leftists — and to bolster law enforcement’s power.

“I think it’s been pretty important for us to focus on the fact that gun control in America has a legacy of racist enforcement,” said Antifa Seven Hills spokesperson James (who asked that his name be withheld to avoid getting doxxed online). “Like taking guns away from black people, because black people were perceived as a threat to property and the sanctity of the state.”
I suspect this won't go well, given agitators on both sides will be present to ensure those rallying in favor of firearm ownership meet the expectations of Democrats who have been stoking fear over the rally. That would then validate the Democrats' firearm ban at the Capitol, the one about which they lied, and Northam's ban via executive order from Wednesday.

Also:
FBI arrests 3 suspected white supremacists on federal gun charges
The FBI arrested three suspected white supremacists on firearms charges on Tuesday, the Justice Department announced Thursday. Brian Lemley, Jr., and William Garfield Bilbrough IV, alleged to be members of "The Base," a racist violent extremist group, were arrested along with a Canadian national, Patrik Jordan Mathews.

According to a federal official, the men were arrested near Baltimore and were believed to be heading toward Richmond, Virginia, where a pro-gun rally is planned for next week. Lemley has been charged with transporting a machine gun and other firearms charges, and he and Bilbrough are charged with transporting and harboring "an alien unlawfully present in the United States." Mathews also faces firearms charges.

The FBI accuses Mathews of unlawfully crossing from Canada into the U.S. in August. Lemly and Bilbrough are accused of driving from Maryland to Michigan to pick him up and bring him back to Maryland later that month.

culannmac wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:24 pm Senate just passed the first three bills.

https://www.wric.com/news/politics/capi ... -measures/
Yep. The one I didn't mention of those three was SB35, which gives municipalities the authority to ban firearms at public buildings, parks, and events. It passed 21-19.
https://lis.virginia.gov/cgi-bin/legp60 ... 1+sum+SB35

Supposedly they are skipping SB240, the ERPO bill, for today.
https://lis.virginia.gov/cgi-bin/legp60 ... +sum+SB240

culannmac wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:39 pm It's so funny, Republicans never made me a felon, Democrats did (golf clap). Of course Republicans have made people they don't like felons as well. Such is American politics, if you don't like a certain group pass laws to make them criminals. Nice.
MASS INCARCERATION

People are still serving life sentences for possession of cannabis in states where it is now legal to possess.

How many people are actually felons because of gun laws? I bet they are disproportionately POC.
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

culannmac wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:39 pm So, I'm assuming the worst and preparing for an AWB. I plan to move all my newly verbotten kit out of state to a relative's house. I don't want to go through the grandfathering BS and I'm pretty sure that possession of spare parts, kits, etc will still be considered a class 6 felony. So I'm going to have to purchase a new gun safe, will probably get a membership at the local range, then they're be ongoing travel expenses. Not to mention getting an out of state conceal carry permit due to proposed law stripping reciprocity. Maybe a weekend every two months to go shoot and manage things. Fun. It's so funny, Republicans never made me a felon, Democrats did (golf clap). Of course Republicans have made people they don't like felons as well. Such is American politics, if you don't like a certain group pass laws to make them criminals. Nice.
Also, any suppressors would have to go. They're listed in HB961.
https://lis.virginia.gov/cgi-bin/legp60 ... +sum+HB961

culannmac wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:39 pm So, I'm assuming the worst and preparing for an AWB. I plan to move all my newly verbotten kit out of state to a relative's house. I don't want to go through the grandfathering BS and I'm pretty sure that possession of spare parts, kits, etc will still be considered a class 6 felony. So I'm going to have to purchase a new gun safe, will probably get a membership at the local range, then they're be ongoing travel expenses. Not to mention getting an out of state conceal carry permit due to proposed law stripping reciprocity. Maybe a weekend every two months to go shoot and manage things. Fun. It's so funny, Republicans never made me a felon, Democrats did (golf clap). Of course Republicans have made people they don't like felons as well. Such is American politics, if you don't like a certain group pass laws to make them criminals. Nice.
Plans are good. Might want to hold off making permanent changes, though, until after the judicial system works through it's process.

DispositionMatrix wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:06 pm Too little, too late.
Lawsuit filed challenging Gov. Northam’s temporary emergency banning weapons from Capitol grounds
RICHMOND, Va. – A lawsuit has been filed challenging Governor Northam’s executive order banning guns from the Virginia Capitol, an official with the office of the Virginia Attorney General said.

A hearing has been scheduled for 1:30 p.m., Thursday afternoon in the Richmond Circuit Court.

On Tuesday Gov. Northam declared a state of emergency over threats from militia groups ahead of a gun-rights rally that is scheduled for Monday.
Denied. What a surprise.

https://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=57505.0
Patriots, can we rally 14,000 (or more) peaceful citizens using modern communications before January 20 to protect our liberty? Will you spread the word and come out?

Be at the Virginia Capitol on January 20, 2020! Stand for your liberty! Our rights WILL be trampled unless the General Assembly fears doing it. Make a statement by peacefully filling the building and streets with unprecedented numbers they cannot ignore. YOUR LIBERTY IS AT STAKE. Only a massive turnout will make them listen. Join us for this important and historic gathering to deliver the message that we will not allow our God-given right to Liberty to be taken away by elected officials.

Relevant warning for those who might leave their firearms in their cars on Lobby Day.
Richmond Police have warning for gun owners after uptick in thefts
RICHMOND, Va. -- Police are warning gun owners to lock it or lose it to highlight the growing problem of firearms being stolen out of cars in Richmond.

Richmond Police officials said about 450 guns were stolen in the city during 2019. In over half of those cases, the guns were stolen out of a person's car.

And police said the majority of those cases involved guns stolen from unlocked cars.

I understand the case for a single rally of all gun owners, but the media only focuses on the extremes like the white supremacists who were arrested. The media is dominated by flashy headlines and short soundbites, long articles on the nuances of constitutional rights don't work in a Twitter world. What's made this so unique and powerful is that this movement hasn't been dominated by all the usual suspects but that is also a weakness where all groups are seen as equal and the public is too lazy to dig deeper for the facts.

In the long run declawing the anti-gun lobby means deep investigative articles on Everytown and it's chief funder Bloomberg just like the media focused on the NRA which is only 5% of gun owners. Ironically Bloomberg's run for the presidency opens him and his company to deep scrutiny like non-disclosure agreements used by him and his company.
Presidential candidate Mike Bloomberg continues to defend his and his company’s conduct regarding the issue of nondisclosure agreements in settlements with former female employees who have brought lawsuits against the company and in some cases, Bloomberg himself.
Multiple women in the past have made allegations that the former New York City mayor fostered a hostile work environment for some female employees.
“We don't have anything to hide,” Bloomberg answered on stage Wednesday, “But we made legal agreements which both sides wanted to keep things from coming out. They have a right to do that.”
https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/bloombe ... d=68307778

That whole sleazy New York City corporate world of Trump, Fox and it's employees given golden parachutes to get rid of them and Bloomberg . A world of sexual harassment and NDAs and the Everytown anti-gun movement funded by Bloomberg likely also contains supporters of #MeToo.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

DispositionMatrix wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:28 am Relevant warning for those who might leave their firearms in their cars on Lobby Day.
RICHMOND, Va. -- Police are warning gun owners to lock it or lose it to highlight the growing problem of firearms being stolen out of cars in Richmond.

Richmond Police officials said about 450 guns were stolen in the city during 2019. In over half of those cases, the guns were stolen out of a person's car.

And police said the majority of those cases involved guns stolen from unlocked cars.
Don't tell me criminals take advantage of those complying with laws. Surely, they'll follow each and every existing and new gun law passed.

featureless wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:18 am
DispositionMatrix wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:28 am Relevant warning for those who might leave their firearms in their cars on Lobby Day.

Don't tell me criminals take advantage of those complying with laws. Surely, they'll follow each and every existing and new gun law passed.
Thefts would be used to justify more laws.

I feel like Gun owners are being set up with this rally.

"Senator Amanda Chase
8 hrs ·
Sadly, I am posting this, knowing that the Governor of Virginia has declared a State of Emergency in our state.

I want you to be aware of how we are being set up.

Does the Patriot Act ring a bell?

Does the National Defense Authorization Act ring a bell?

If people show up wearing any kind of uniform, patch or other symbol on their clothing signifying they belong to a militia and something goes wrong, you could/will be held as a domestic terrorist.

If anyone steps out of line, all it takes is one person, it may even be a government plant....if that plant does anything to disrupt the rally, you could/will be arrested as a domestic terrorist.

The Governor, using the media has already set the stage for this to happen.
He has already laid the groundwork to make the entire movement look like insurrection.

It will be used to put the rest of the nation on notice of what will happen to you, if you resist.

They have used the Southern Poverty Law Center over the last 15 years to lay the groundwork.

They have labeled us as potential domestic terrorist for a long time now.

Anyone who has ever related to the 3%er's, a militia, or just belonged to any Patriot group...the groundwork has been laid to brand you as a domestic terrorist.

They have gone out of their way since the Obama years to insure they had us labeled, but it didn't start with Obama. It started with the Patriot Act under the Bush administration.

We are being played by a well oiled machine, these things have been in the works for many years.

They are kicking things into high gear. Military veterans were/are even listed as potential domestic terrorist.

We were told not once, but several times by the current President, “It's Not Me they are after, It's You, The American People.“

Their actions over the last three years have shown you he was right, they are coming after us full speed ahead and they aren't even trying to hide it anymore.

Sic semper tyrannis, keep your head on a swivel and know what's going on around you at all times, at Lobby Day 1/20/20."
EAT,SLEEP,RANGE,REPEAT

A VA circuit judge upheld Northam's weapons ban at the rally as part of the state of emergency which started today and ends next Tuesday. Northam is using the excuse that he wants to avoid another Charlottesville. The circuit court decision was appealed to the VA Supreme Court which refused to block the weapons ban.
The Supreme Court of Virginia just denied a petition to block Governor Northam's weapons ban at a gun rally in Richmond.

Gov. Ralph Northam had announced the ban on Wednesday as he declared a state of emergency over threats of "armed militia groups storming our Capitol." The Virginia Citizens Defense League and Gunowners of America filed a lawsuit seeking an injunction against the ban.

Richmond Circuit Court Judge Joi Taylor's already upheld the Virginia governor's ban on all types of weapons at a pro-gun rally planned for next week. The order came hours after the FBI announced the arrest of three alleged white supremacists in Maryland on Thursday.

However, later on Thursday and in response to the judge's order, an appeal was filed against the decision. The Office of the Attorney General said the plaintiffs filed the appeal to the Supreme Court of Virginia to block Northam's executive order.
https://www.13newsnow.com/article/news/ ... c0cdf4935a
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan