Re: Virginia militia efforts beginning

Yes softly softly, not like the A Team. Liked seeing
Handguns shall be safely carried only in a holster. Long guns shall be unloaded and carried only via a sling worn on the person.
And reference to current laws and not some amorphous reference to patriots.
WHEREAS, the natural right of self-defense with arms belongs both to the individual and to the People of this County, collectively; and is recognized in Article 1 Section 13 of the Virginia Constitution, which describes the “militia” as “the body of the people, trained to arms” and ordains that “in all cases the military should be under strict subordination to, and governed by, the civil power;” and this natural right is also recognized in the Second Amendment to the U.S. Constitution;...

Look forward to seeing how this peacefully progresses.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Northam to announce temporary ban on firearms on the grounds of Va. state Capitol, according to two people briefed on his plans

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/vi ... story.html

Gov. Ralph Northam (D) is expected to make the announcement on Wednesday. The move, which was first reported by the Associated Press, comes just days after newly empowered Democrats banned guns from the Capitol building and an adjacent legislative office building. And it comes just ahead of a gun rights rally planned for Monday that has drawn interest from militias and extremist groups around the country.
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

SubRosa wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:53 am It would be interesting to see what develops when several thousand openly armed people break the rule of banning same on the capitol grounds.

Hmmm...

SR
Well, liberal activists wear protest arrests as badges of honor. It's interesting that the majority of gun owners are lawful folk and this will be a stumbling block. Protest and break the emergency law and risk arrest or... I'm not quite sure which way I'd go if I lived in VA.

Perhaps it's true that gun owners are by and large law abiding and these laws only hurt them with no obvious detriment to criminals? Nah. Bloomberg, et. al. have me convinced we're all just latent killers. :sarcasm:

Thinking on it some more, if I were a VA resident, I'd be present, armed and outside of the officially declared no-go zone. Numbers are important. So is remaining responsibly sane and calm. I don't think having the NRA represented there helps the cause. At. All. Perhaps a guillotine could be pushed inside of the fence perimeter as a statement? :)

California has no version of the 2A in the state constitution and open carry has been banned for decades, so we have very little to stand on here while the legislature and the courts ignore the US Constitution and SCOTUS. We've been slowly boiled. I wish Virginians the very best.

And just so you all don't think I'm going in on the GOP grandstanding or some such silliness, after Trump's election, I rented and filled a bus with people to attend the Women's March in Sacramento to add numbers at the state capital rather than attend a local demonstration. Utilizing our 1A rights is important. We must speak loudly and in numbers for what we believe in. I believe in equal rights and I believe in gun rights.

featureless wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:53 am And just so you all don't think I'm going in on the GOP grandstanding or some such silliness, after Trump's election...
The Bill of Rights doesn't belong to either party, it's just that some parties emphasize some amendments and parts therein more than others. The 1st Amendment has a number of elements and I agree with all of them.
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.
I bitch as much as anyone about Democrats and their anti-gun agenda but I'm also not a knee-jerk voter who thinks whatever Republicans favor Democrats have to take the opposite side. There are areas where we can have common ground and 2A is one.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

SubRosa wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:39 pm Sorry, you've misread. WVa is proposing to 'annex' part of Va and thereby eliminate the jurisdiction thereby. No moving required.

SR
No, I know what's being offered. The point is, Virginia thought they were secure from this sort of gun control. If it's not ended, when will it come to West Virginia? With the next Dem super majority (federal or state). That's the point.

wooglin wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:24 pm An UNarmed pro 2A protest would be grand. Unworkable, but grand.
I think that is a better move. Getting arrested on a gun charge is not a good thing to have on a protester's record. It might end up as a way to lose your firearms.
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

K9s wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:10 pm
wooglin wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:24 pm An UNarmed pro 2A protest would be grand. Unworkable, but grand.
I think that is a better move. Getting arrested on a gun charge is not a good thing to have on a protester's record. It might end up as a way to lose your firearms.
25,000 unarmed people protested NY's SAFE Act. Zero result. While I am conflicted about armed protests and generally think they are the dumbest fucking idea ever (not really conflicted at all), this would be an exception. The risk of arrest is high but the risk of being convicted is low (there's no existing law that prohibits it in VA and the emergency declaration that may be issues is in conflict with existing law saying citizens can't be disarmed during emergencies). The bigger risk is that someone does something stupid and bullets go both ways. But that is indeed what the 2A is for, so it is entirely in .gov's hands to listen to the people. Or not.