Hello from the buckle of the Bible Belt

Hello all, I just wanted to introduce myself. I live in Arkansas near where I grew up but spent most of my adult life living in other places stateside and overseas during my career in the military. My firearms experience is extensive, but I definitely can learn more. I mostly target shoot with friends—pinging steel at distance is my favorite.

I like guns and enjoy shooting, and I think gun rights in this country are important, but I think ALL lives are more important.

You probably could call me a Christian, but most people where I live likely wouldn’t see me as one. I’m certainly not in the Evangelical camp, and I resist drinking anyone’s kook-aid. I’m just trying to follow Jesus’ teachings as genuinely as I can, and where that intersects gun rights is... interesting.

Anyway, just wanted to say hey, and I’m excited to get involved here.

av

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Hello from the buckle of the Bible Belt

highdesert wrote::welcome: I figured ex-military with the handle of "autovon", automatic voice network. Bart Erdman at UNC, Chapel Hill always refers to NC as the buckle of the bible belt, big belt big buckle. Especially in this highly partisan era, people like to define others.
Haha well, ole Bart and I likely would disagree on more than that! Lol

Thanks for the warm welcome, er’body!

highdesert wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:43 am Bart Erdman at UNC, Chapel Hill always refers to NC as the buckle of the bible belt, big belt big buckle. Especially in this highly partisan era, people like to define others.
Alabama considers itself to be the buckle of the bible belt. After living there, I believe it. :)
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

autovon wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:10 pm
highdesert wrote::welcome: I figured ex-military with the handle of "autovon", automatic voice network. Bart Erdman at UNC, Chapel Hill always refers to NC as the buckle of the bible belt, big belt big buckle. Especially in this highly partisan era, people like to define others.
Haha well, ole Bart and I likely would disagree on more than that! Lol

Thanks for the warm welcome, er’body!

Hi, from NJ, where there are LOTS of devout Christians, Jews, Muslims, and Hindus.

Spent a half dozen years in the Chapel Hill area (Carrboro). When he was still a radio schmuck, before he was a Senate putz, Jesse Helms said North Carolina didn't need a state zoo: Just put fence around Chapel Hill!
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

YankeeTarheel wrote: Hi, from NJ, where there are LOTS of devout Christians, Jews, Muslims, and Hindus.
Hey, I wish I had that kind of diversity here. To clarify, I’m in Arkansas. Living abroad for as long as I did has made the adjustment to living here... interesting. Thankfully my farm is pretty secluded so I can get away and shoot when I want.

Any other Arkansans on here?

Hello from Utah! I spent some time in Arkansas as a kid. Waldron specifically. That was about 30 years ago so I'm sure it's changed quite a bit. I'm also a Christian but I'm not an evangelical either. I'm also not a Mormon, which is always on someone's mind when Utah is mentioned. Lol I'm a left-wing Christian who has respect for people of all beliefs, whether it be Jewish, atheist, Muslim, etc. I was raised southern Baptist but I converted to the Episcopal church 5 years ago.

UtahGuy202 wrote:Hello from Utah! I spent some time in Arkansas as a kid. Waldron specifically. That was about 30 years ago so I'm sure it's changed quite a bit. I'm also a Christian but I'm not an evangelical either. I'm also not a Mormon, which is always on someone's mind when Utah is mentioned. Lol I'm a left-wing Christian who has respect for people of all beliefs, whether it be Jewish, atheist, Muslim, etc. I was raised southern Baptist but I converted to the Episcopal church 5 years ago.
Hello back, UTG! I’m not sure AR changes much. I grew up in a small town here, and when I came back 30 years later it wasn’t much different. They did recently move from a dry to wet county... for the first time in my lifetime, one can buy alcohol at the Wal-Marts. But alas, I no longer drink.

kronkmusic wrote:A warm welcome from sunny South Florida!

Since nobody else has asked yet (I know, how rude): what do you like to shoot?
Thanks for asking! I’ve become a Glock fan as of late, and I have a G26 by my bedside. I just shoot it well. I also like my G43, and I built a AR-9 that is a blast. My fav drill is to transition from the AR-9 to a holstered pistol while ringing steel.

For rifles, I have an AR-10 in .308 that I enjoy ringing steel with, and my deer rifle is a stainless Tikka in .270. I also have a regular AR that I put together to look and feel similar to what I carried while in the military.

I’m looking at picking up a RIA 1911 clone in 9mm, maybe the Tac Ultra CS. Any experiences with that pistol or RIA in general!

autovon wrote:
kronkmusic wrote:A warm welcome from sunny South Florida!

Since nobody else has asked yet (I know, how rude): what do you like to shoot?
Thanks for asking! I’ve become a Glock fan as of late, and I have a G26 by my bedside. I just shoot it well. I also like my G43, and I built a AR-9 that is a blast. My fav drill is to transition from the AR-9 to a holstered pistol while ringing steel.

For rifles, I have an AR-10 in .308 that I enjoy ringing steel with, and my deer rifle is a stainless Tikka in .270. I also have a regular AR that I put together to look and feel similar to what I carried while in the military.

I’m looking at picking up a RIA 1911 clone in 9mm, maybe the Tac Ultra CS. Any experiences with that pistol or RIA in general!

Nice! Yeah that's a solid outfit of arms you got there.

I don't have any personal experience with RIA 1911s but I've definitely given them a solid look before. Lots of people love theirs. I've always heard as long as you can leave your elitism behind and not expect a hand fit custom shop 1911 then they're reliably good shooters.