Re: Python, more than just a rumor.

First introduced in 1955– and to this day one of the few hand-fitted modern revolvers to be factory produced for the commercial market– the beefy .357 Magnum-caliber six-shooter was described by Colt as, “A finer gun than you actually need,” and its list of standard features set it apart from many of its pencil-barrel contemporaries.
The first catalog price on the revolver was $125 — about three weeks pay at a time when the price of a gallon of gasoline was 23 cents.
Over its 50-year run, the “I-frame” Python saw several variants with 2.5-, 3-, 4-, 6- and 8-inch barrel lengths, a few caliber experiments, and some specialty guns. The revolvers were produced in a range of finishes including an electroless nickel– referred to as “ColtGuard” by the company– stainless, polished nickel, Royal ColtGuard, an “Ultimate Bright” stainless, blued, and Colt Royal Blue, among others.
https://www.guns.com/news/2019/11/25/th ... -revolvers

They will be pricey, up there with Korth and Manurhin MR 73. Wonder what variations they'll offer.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

I owned several pythons over the years...waaay back when they were still cataloged. Loved all of them but never did keep one.
I Really can’t imagine Colt will have the same craftsmanship as they did when true craftsmen were employed to hand fit the Python. In this age of high tech, stamp it out and make a ton of money atmosphere I just don’t feel this will be the same😔☹️😖.

Personally I think Colt has been killing it over the last decade. The King Cobra is well made, their 1911's are VERY nice these days, and they even went back to the old school roll marking on many of their 1911's. If the price is reasonable, I may pick one up to go with my 1979 nickle Python.
“I think there’s a right-wing conspiracy to promote the idea of a left-wing conspiracy”

Marlene wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:44 pm I'm unimpressed with the new colts I've seen
I agree. The new 1903 Pocket Hammerless are just OK...not near as nice as 100 year old examples I have. For the money one would be better served to find an "original" and have it slicked/rebuilt by a really good gunsmith.

VooDoo
Tyrants disarm the people they intend to oppress.

I am sworn to support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic.

Maybe it's just me but I never could stand the cylinder release on Colt revolvers. Maybe a small thing, but it has always been a deal killer for me.
If liberals interpreted the Second Amendment the way they interpret the rest of the Bill of Rights, there would be law professors arguing that gun ownership is mandatory. - Mickey Kaus, The New Republic

I was informed by a noted gun writer (on another forum some time ago) that Colt will *never* make Pythons again as it "can't be done" period - end of story. :yawn:

Never say never...it never happens. :sarcasm:

VooDoo
Tyrants disarm the people they intend to oppress.

I am sworn to support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic.

VodoundaVinci wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 6:48 am
Marlene wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:44 pm I'm unimpressed with the new colts I've seen
I agree. The new 1903 Pocket Hammerless are just OK...not near as nice as 100 year old examples I have. For the money one would be better served to find an "original" and have it slicked/rebuilt by a really good gunsmith.

VooDoo
The 1903's are not actually manufactured by Colt, they are made by US Armament and licensed by Colt.
“I think there’s a right-wing conspiracy to promote the idea of a left-wing conspiracy”

VodoundaVinci wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 7:14 am I was informed by a noted gun writer (on another forum some time ago) that Colt will *never* make Pythons again as it "can't be done" period - end of story. :yawn:

Never say never...it never happens. :sarcasm:

VooDoo
I thought the same for the longest time. But modern manufacturing can produce a Python cheaper than ever before, and do so without compromising the revolver. It remains to be seen whether Colt will really pull this off. But from a technical standpoint, it's a very doable project if they actually want to do it.

tonguengroover wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:20 pm Well hold off on that order. Couple people have had the same issue of the cylinder not spinning. Both happened in an online video review. Here at the end of Hickok45

https://youtu.be/7dO-lQEX49U
Good video as usual from Hickok45. At $1500. it should be flawless. Does Colt make it or was it contracted out?
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

highdesert wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:17 am
tonguengroover wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:20 pm Well hold off on that order. Couple people have had the same issue of the cylinder not spinning. Both happened in an online video review. Here at the end of Hickok45

https://youtu.be/7dO-lQEX49U
Good video as usual from Hickok45. At $1500. it should be flawless. Does Colt make it or was it contracted out?
Good question highdesert
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing,”

It is a beauty. Not everyone can afford one.

I wonder how many people buy one of those and just stick it in a presentation case? How many never shoot it and exclaim its virtues? Just wondering.
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

senorgrand wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:12 pm If I could get a Python in mint condition for $1500, that sounds like a pretty sweet deal.
You mean old model Python. I've been on a hunt for the perfect DA wheel gun for some time and I love the way Pythons look. But I ain't shelling out that amount of cash for a defect.
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing,”