Tempted by Springfield 1911 9mm

As I mentioned in my range report and elsewhere, I'm looking for a 9mm 1911. I've got a search going on Gunbroker for a Star B which is ergonomically similar to a 1911 but is less than half the price. I like the idea of oddball and C&R. However, I had a really bad time shooting my Star Super S (380) because I couldn't pick up the sights reliable with my near-field vision. I also had reliability issues. It really made me reconsider the idea of a C&R that I couldn't handle before-hand.

Add to that the issues with the California handgun roster, and we only have 2 9mm 1911s available new here. Used, even, since the roster creates an artificially high priced market for used guns. Guns have to be renewed annually, and SA has renewed it every year, and claims they'll keep the one pistol on the roster for California, but that's no guarantee they will.

So, I'm considering getting a Springfield 1911 Loaded Target in 9mm. I can get it for about $1000 including fees. If I were willing to do .45, there would be many other options, some considerably cheaper, but I think I want a 9mm.

Assuming I'm going to get a 1911, any reason I shouldn't get the SA 1911 9mm Loaded Target?

Re: Tempted by Springfield 1911 9mm

bajajoaquin wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:30 pm You live in Georgia. You probably have lots of choices.

I'm not bitter, really.
Unrestricted choices. I really do feel for you, but that is still a nice one. Pics when you get it in? Stainless? Wood grips?
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

Oh, yes. Pics till you get sick of them. :)

It’s stainless with cocobolo grips. Stainless is a better choice, but I like blue. The lack of blue option was one of the things that held me up in the past. But the CA roster ain’t going away any time soon, so I just made my peace with it.

Already regretting not buying another box of ammo with it.

Kimbers are nice guns. Just overpriced IMHO. Springfields aren’t cheap but fairly priced for the quality and generally less expensive than Kimbers on average.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

Kimber has a reputation for spotty quality on their lower end guns. I have read complaints of things like corrosion on brand new firearms. They back that up with bad customer service.

SA apparently has had some quality issues as well, but gets near-universal praise for their service. I think they have a lifetime warranty as well.

I saw the Kimber stainless 9mm 1911 with cocobolo grips for $539 today - less than the Springfield costs. 90 day layaway with free shipping makes it too tempting for me.
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

You should get it.

I was more limited because only one model each manufacturer was on the CA roster and each is more expensive. But if that had been available to me, I’d have bought one a while back.

(Story of my life: I dithered about buying a Rock Island when they had a 9mm on roster and by the time I made up my mind it was off.)

I love the 1911 platform and just bought a 22LR version. Your thread reminded me of the 9mm version that I have never tried. Both use cheaper ammo than 45 ACP.

I looked around and Springfield, Ruger, etc were a lot more expensive than the Kimber. I checked around and it seems decent and sure is pretty. I might even carry it more because "LW" means lightweight. It is a lot easier to rationalize with 90 day layaway, for some reason.

So... of course I ordered it. I sorta wanted a Springfield, though, but this one will be fine for my one 9mm 1911. It makes me a little sick to my stomach to realize how many extra fees you must have to pay after I checked the prices. My only fee is the $20 FFL fee.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

bajajoaquin wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:29 pm :bananadance:

I just did. I shopped around online a bit and found it cheaper, so I ordered 500 rounds of ammo to go with it.
Nice! I've had the same gun for two years now (my first ever) and I still love it. It's a little finicky about cheap ammo, my range's reloads and Herter's in particular, but it's had around 5,000 rounds through it with no real issues.

Having said that, my girlfriend has one too and had to send it back to Springfield for repairs within the first 50 rounds when the slide somehow jammed on the ejector plate. But we think that she just somehow managed to get the one lemon. At least their customer service was good, lol

K9s wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 10:52 pm ....It makes me a little sick to my stomach to realize how many extra fees you must have to pay after I checked the prices. My only fee is the $20 FFL fee.
It’s not so much the extra fees as the roster. You can’t put new guns on the roster (that’s an oversimplification), and it’s a pain for manufacturers to certify, so many don’t bother. It means that sometimes they only offer one model with a good margin. In Springfield’s case, it’s the Loaded Target, which I’m sure affords them lots of profits over the base. So there are less expensive 9mm models available, but we can’t get them here.

Congrats! My only 1911 these days is my Colt Combat Commander in 9mm. It's a real pleasure to shoot. The Kimber (when you get a good one) is a sweet shooter as well, but if I had to buy on roster, I'd have gone with the Springfield as well.
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou