Re: Magazines

I occasionally disassemble and clean finicky mags used with particularly dirty ammo. I’ve had to disassemble and clean Ruger 10/22 mags, as well as some pocket .380 models. They got so grimy inside that they weren’t feeding reliably anymore.

I have never had to do it with service pistol and AR mags. My Glock mags went through several hundred rounds without any cleaning needed.
Glad that federal government is boring again.

If you drop them on the ground on reloads, then yes you should clean after they've hit the dirt. You can get a magazine brush or tie a rag with a length of paracord or even a shoe string and just pull it through. Don't use CLP or any cleaner, just brush them out or wipe them with a rag. If they're full of mud, disassemble and wash them out with hot water, dry them out with a rag, then use a hair dryer to make sure all the water is gone to prevent rust if they are metal.

And if you don’t drop them in the dirt regularly?
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

Magazines

Call me OCD but I clean all my mags every February. It’s a good way to wile away the hours on a dreary winter day.

Yesterday I finished scrupulously cleaning all my guns. My only reasonable option for shooting is at an outdoor range so I am pretty much done for the season.

I wipe down factory pistol mags after every range trip and only take them apart if I'm having an issue. I've yet to consider cleaning any Magpul mags as they seem to be fairly resilient to anything and everything.

Last edited by atxgunguy on Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
LGC Texas - Vice President

Even if you don't drop them in the dirt, wipe them out once in a while in case something does get in there and builds up. You don't want to find out when you need them to work. Sometimes you find out that dirty milsurp ammo means you need to clean certain ones more often. You won't know until you look for it.
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

spara wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:20 pm
Bisbee wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 2:35 am And if you don’t drop them in the dirt regularly?
LOL, my range trips tend to be more dynamic than most folks, so carry on.
Do tell... maybe post a video so we can all learn something.
:icecream:
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

Bisbee wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:01 pm
spara wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:20 pm
Bisbee wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 2:35 am And if you don’t drop them in the dirt regularly?
LOL, my range trips tend to be more dynamic than most folks, so carry on.
Do tell... maybe post a video so we can all learn something.
:icecream:
It's just USPSA and 3 Gun, nothing special.

I've yet to clean my magazines aside from a swipe on the outside to get the visible dirt off. I've dropped the same ones in the dirt of Florida, Texas, California, and Oregon, and it's been years. That's not that they shouldn't be cleaned, probably, but they haven't malfunctioned.

I say clean 'em if it makes you feel better and if you've got the time. That said, a little grub doesn't hurt anything so long as it isn't causing a malfunction or posing a safety hazard. As with your firearm, magazines should be checked for wear, function, and defect on a regular basis whether you clean religiously or not.
"I am not a number, I am a free man!" - Number Six

Yes, especially police or military surplus magazines, and ones used in dirty, dusty environments. I also do some cleaning when I change a magazine spring. I typically change a magazine spring when the slide starts to not lock back on a empty magazine.