Ruger 22/45 Volquartzen Lower

Well this pretty thing finally came in this afternoon. Huge improvement over the stock lower, feels much, much better in the hand. Unfortunately the LGC grips in the third pic are a bit too thick for my preference, makes hitting the mag release a bit harder, so going to stick with the Hogue hardwood grips. I also picked up a set of the Hogue wrap around grips, which feel nice, but are a bit fugly.

The trigger is sublime. As expected. Overall build quality is also spectacular. Expensive, but worth it.

Out with the old
IMG_20170308_131235891.jpg
And in with the new
IMG_20170308_142032800.jpg
The sadly too wide LGC grips
IMG_20170308_141733300.jpg
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

Re: Ruger 22/45 Volquartzen Lower

Bucolic wrote:The Hogue aluminum grips are thin and would look smashing on that thing. Picture these on yours:
Damnit Bucolic. Why did you have to go and show me those!

And yeah. You need to sell an organ or something. To be fair, I haven't shot it yet, so it's possible that it could fall apart at the range. I doubt it though.
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

So got to put 5 mags through the new setup this afternoon after doing the RSO thing all day, and yep. Freaking awesome. The trigger is simply superb and the oversized controls and grips just make it a real pleasure to shoot. And it's a freaking laser gun at this point- it certainly was accurate before, but the new feel and trigger tightened up groups for me substantially.
- Maya Angelou

Well shit. Have been having some failures recently, and during the last range outing, the bolt became difficult to pull back. Finally got around to tearing it down and tightening things up, but it appears that something has gone wrong with it. Bolt doesn't re-insert easily for the last inch or so, and when re-assembled (correctly) very difficult to pull back the bolt. Gut checked myself by putting the old lower back on and it works fine. Also appears that the trigger catch isn't actually catching, so will have to send it back to VQ for work.
- Maya Angelou

shinzen wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:01 pm Well shit. Have been having some failures recently, and during the last range outing, the bolt became difficult to pull back. Finally got around to tearing it down and tightening things up, but it appears that something has gone wrong with it. Bolt doesn't re-insert easily for the last inch or so, and when re-assembled (correctly) very difficult to pull back the bolt. Gut checked myself by putting the old lower back on and it works fine. Also appears that the trigger catch isn't actually catching, so will have to send it back to VQ for work.
Crud!! That's cruel.

I have to admit I took my 22/45 upper and stuck a "regular" Volquartsen lower on it. Some Altamont grips, etc. and the thing is shooting VERY nicely. For some reason 4" is enough on this thing. :)

This way, the angle and grip style exactly matches my Mk IV Target, which is the go-to "optics" gun, with a red-dot on it.

The 22/45 as was:
"We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo.
Attachments
_SCB2861Ae.jpg

Dammit! Now I am looking up Ruger Marks. I have to stay off these threads. I just had to buy a new refrigerator today after a couple of other purchases this month. UGH! Too tempting.
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

Well the issue is resolved. It appears that the disconnector was somehow out of alignment and pushing the sear down further than it should have been. After knocking out the retaining pin the sear popped right back to where it was supposed to be and upon re-inserting the disconnector/hammer pin, functions fine. Weird.
- Maya Angelou

K9s wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:43 pm If you had it to do all over again, would you just have got a Volquartzen custom pistol instead of the lower?
Well. I live in CA so that wasn't an option. And I've had the 22/45 for years, so it was an upgrade, not a new purchase. but if I was just looking and could get it where I live? Sure.
- Maya Angelou