Re: I’m in the wrong line of work

geno wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:06 pm Proof that you don't have to be smart to be rich!
Wait... you needed more proof than Betsy DeVos? Most rich people make money the old-fashioned way. Inheritance.
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

As someone who went to art school I can honestly say that I hate modern art 99.95% of the time. Some no talent hack smears shit on a canvas and they are Andy Warhol all of a sudden (no I don't like Andy Warhol either). I blame Picasso. Someone who at the age of 8 had the ability and the eye to reproduce what he saw with photographic precision and depth but later in life realized he could phone shit in and still get the glory. I may also be bitter at having been forced to go to contemporary art showings instead of getting to go experience my favorites, which are most definitely not contemporary.
Never smile too big, the gods may mistake it for hubris.

geno wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:09 pm
lurker wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:33 pm italian art has apparently declined some since the renaissance.
But can you say that while holding a Beretta?
i've seen botticelli's and michaelangelo's and leonardo's work, among others, so yes. besides, i'm a 1911 guy.
Last edited by lurker on Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
i'm retired. what's your excuse?

K9s wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:24 pm
geno wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:06 pm Proof that you don't have to be smart to be rich!
Wait... you needed more proof than Betsy DeVos? Most rich people make money the old-fashioned way. Inheritance.
Almost all of the richest people in America inherited their wealth, like the Waltons, the Kochs, the Hiltons, the Mars's (as in M&Ms and Mars candy), the Gettys, the Hearsts, etc.

You don't have to be smart, you just have to pick the right parents.

Edgy art is one thing. I remember visiting MOMA and seeing a giant white canvas, with a little black triangle at the top and another at the bottom. When I saw the title, I laughed! "The Big 'N'". OK, I got the joke! Is it art? Sure! Would I pay 6 figures for it? Well, no. A banana duct-taped to a wall doesn't entertain or amuse me...Walter Matthau throwing a plate of pasta at a wall does.

I like Jackson Pollack, not too crazy about Mark Rothko, but always thought Robert Motherwell was total BS, as is much of "performance art" (the sado-masochistic crap of Chris Burden).
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

I felt the golden toilet the artist named America was truly fitting the Republican Party today but it was millions what a drop to a banana duct taped to a wall maybe an orange placed on a pile of horse crap named Donald Trump would be worth the price paid maybe I got me an idea

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Blue Dot Veteran

bigbass4me wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:00 pm I felt the golden toilet the artist named America was truly fitting the Republican Party today but it was millions what a drop to a banana duct taped to a wall maybe an orange placed on a pile of horse crap named Donald Trump would be worth the price paid maybe I got me an idea

Copyright it fast!
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

bigbass4me wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:00 pm I felt the golden toilet the artist named America was truly fitting the Republican Party today but it was millions what a drop to a banana duct taped to a wall maybe an orange placed on a pile of horse crap named Donald Trump would be worth the price paid maybe I got me an idea

Not horse crap but Bull Shit would be better. :shit:
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

TrueTexan wrote:

Not horse crap but Bull Shit would be better. :shit:
Does that mean I have to cut you in on the sale of the artwork

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Blue Dot Veteran

SpaceRanger42 wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:51 pm As someone who went to art school I can honestly say that I hate modern art 99.95% of the time. Some no talent hack smears shit on a canvas and they are Andy Warhol all of a sudden (no I don't like Andy Warhol either). I blame Picasso. Someone who at the age of 8 had the ability and the eye to reproduce what he saw with photographic precision and depth but later in life realized he could phone shit in and still get the glory. I may also be bitter at having been forced to go to contemporary art showings instead of getting to go experience my favorites, which are most definitely not contemporary.
I disagree with you on all of this (because I have an art degree too, and that's how we do) except agreeing that the piece the article is about is total bullshit.

Marlene wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:19 pm
SpaceRanger42 wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:51 pm As someone who went to art school I can honestly say that I hate modern art 99.95% of the time. Some no talent hack smears shit on a canvas and they are Andy Warhol all of a sudden (no I don't like Andy Warhol either). I blame Picasso. Someone who at the age of 8 had the ability and the eye to reproduce what he saw with photographic precision and depth but later in life realized he could phone shit in and still get the glory. I may also be bitter at having been forced to go to contemporary art showings instead of getting to go experience my favorites, which are most definitely not contemporary.
I disagree with you on all of this (because I have an art degree too, and that's how we do) except agreeing that the piece the article is about is total bullshit.
I partially disagree. (although I'm 100% in agreement that the subject of the thread is garbage--and soon will be when the banana rots!)
The vast majority of art in ANY era and in any medium tends to be bullshit and only a small amount is actually for the ages. For example, between the Bach and Beethoven there are only 2 great composers--Hayden and Mozart. George Bernard Shaw argued that there were no great English language playwrights between Shakespeare and...Shaw--he was damn close to correct! Not everything on wax from the "Golden Age of Rock'n'Roll" was Buddy Holly, The Supremes, or The Beatles. Much of it was total crap. And the folk revival of the early 60's? Who remembers the hundreds when maybe 10 or 15 at most stuck?

I despise Picasso but don't deny he may have been the greatest artistic genius since Rembrandt. (Just he was a mean, vindictive SOB and used his paintings to get back at people, usually women). I've seen some of the works of students of Seurat and it was clear they didn't have a fuckin' CLUE what Pointalism was all about.

I can enjoy Cimabue, or Pollack. I just discovered Kara Walker's AMAZING piece
"A Subtlety, or the Marvelous Sugar Baby, an Homage to the unpaid and overworked Artisans who have refined our Sweet tastes from the cane fields to the Kitchens of the New World on the Occasion of the demolition of the Domino Sugar Refining Plant"
constructed in the old Domino Sugar Factory in Brooklyn. It hit me on so many levels--and that was just the pictures of it! Of course, the yahoos take stupid "funny" pictures they think are clever, but demean the piece.

"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

As someone who is also a musician, Yankee, I disagree with your musical assertions ;)
I actually like Jackson Pollack quite a lot. I have no problem with accidentally on purpose art. I love Kandinsky but he was the exact opposite. His stuff looked random but was actually very mathematical. I love industrial art, bauhuas being a particular favorite style/philosophy but the stuff I look at most often to enjoy, relax etc tends to be (in no particular order) Rembrandt, Caravaggio, Titan, Raphael, DaVinci, Durer and Bosch. But there are a lot of illustrators that make my personal list of amazeballs artists who never even get a nod because or a showing in the legitimate art world because they are aren't considered "artists".
Never smile too big, the gods may mistake it for hubris.

SpaceRanger42 wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:57 am As someone who is also a musician, Yankee, I disagree with your musical assertions ;)
I actually like Jackson Pollack quite a lot. I have no problem with accidentally on purpose art. I love Kandinsky but he was the exact opposite. His stuff looked random but was actually very mathematical. I love industrial art, bauhuas being a particular favorite style/philosophy but the stuff I look at most often to enjoy, relax etc tends to be (in no particular order) Rembrandt, Caravaggio, Titan, Raphael, DaVinci, Durer and Bosch. But there are a lot of illustrators that make my personal list of amazeballs artists who never even get a nod because or a showing in the legitimate art world because they are aren't considered "artists".
Which part? I don't know who were contemporaries of Hayden and Mozart who measure up: Maybe the Sons of Bach? (CPE, JC, and JF). Before them, lots, after them lots.

But, to be clear, I only picked artists as examples (and, yes, I like Kandinsky and Bauhaus as well). My point is that in every era, and in every medium, there are just a few geniuses, some greats, maybe some pretty-goods, and the rest are mediocrities who WILL be forgotten.

I have an artist acquaintance (whom I know since 1st grade) did a take on Banksy's shredded piece--that had the US flag instead of the girl with a balloon-- it was a political comment I thought brilliant.

BTW, I've been fortunate enough to see the work first hand of every artist you mentioned, with the exception of Bosch, and enjoy them all (Durer was virtually Germany's answer to DaVinci--a total Renaissance Man--much under-appreciated IMHO, and far more than the over-maudlinized praying hands). Hopefully, some day I'll get to see Bosch.

Marlene wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 1:09 am a friend commented on this piece "So, you need to launder 120k?"
That was my exact thought... a way to launder money. Get a friend of a friend who owns an art gallery to host... something... and pay off the bag man or whatever.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

BKinzey wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:53 pm Don't have a link but a "Performance Artist" took it off the wall and ate it.

That was wrong of them to do.

Then again...

Nope! Wrong!

....... :lol:

I disagree. It was the first piece of "performance art" I actually appreciated, applauded, and enjoyed! First time I know of when a performance artist's message was: The Emperor Has No Clothes! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: