Sturm, Ruger takes Smith & Wesson to court

Post your links to the latest news.

Moderators: admin, Inquisitor, ForumModerator, WebsiteContent

tonguengroover
Been around awhile

Post by tonguengroover »

They certainly look alike. As a Ruger lover I am biased to the 9th. Hope ruger wins.
CONCORD — One of the most popular rifles made and sold in the United States — the .22-caliber Ruger 10-22 — is the subject of a high-stakes court battle, with the Connecticut-based manufacturer accusing a rival gunmaker of unlawfully cutting into the market with a lookalike.

The issue is detailed in court filings that Sturm, Ruger & Co. initiated in July when it sued the Massachusetts-based Smith & Wesson and its sister company, Thompson/Center Arms.

Last week, lawyers for both sides spent three days in U.S. District Court arguing over a preliminary injunction that would block sales of the Thompson T/CR22, possibly during a heavy buying season.

https://www.unionleader.com/news/busine ... 2c895.html
Buy the ticket; take the ride

Bisbee
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Sturm, Ruger takes Smith & Wesson to court

Post by Bisbee »

https://www.tcarms.com/firearms/semi-automatic/t-cr22

I just watched the disassembly video and am stunned that any American company would boldly copy the 10/22 like that and not think they’d get sued by Ruger.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

K9s
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by K9s »

And the administration will bash Ruger and give a gov contract to S&W? Just waiting for that to happen.
The border between civilization and savagery is porous and patrolled by opportunists. Resist fascism. Vote like your democracy depends on it.

tonguengroover
Been around awhile

Post by tonguengroover »

Bisbee wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:18 pm

I just watched the disassembly video and am stunned that any American company would boldly copy the 10/22 like that and not think they’d get sued by Ruger.
I was shocked as well. All they did was basically throw some upgrades on it. And loading the mag seems rather difficult with that pin you have to hold down. Whats the purpose of that?

featureless
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by featureless »

tonguengroover wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:51 pm
And loading the mag seems rather difficult with that pin you have to hold down. Whats the purpose of that?
Keep it out of pending "assault weapon" definitions, likely.

Bisbee
Carpal Tunnel

Post by Bisbee »

The mag-pin just makes the first round easier to load into the rotary magazine by partially rotating the... Meh, were Ruger mags so terribly hard to load that first round?!? Seems superfluous and something else to break over time.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

highdesert
Carpal Tunnel

Post by highdesert »

IIRC Glock sued S&W over what is now the SD9 pistol because S&W infringed their patents. And IIRC Glock won and S&W might still be paying on that one.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

tonguengroover
Been around awhile

Post by tonguengroover »

Makes me want to strip down my 10/22 so I could compare to their video. lol

Bisbee
Carpal Tunnel

Post by Bisbee »

I stripped down, polished, rebuilt, added to, fondled my 10/22’s enough times that one look at that video was enough for me. Jeebus, even the barrel lock to their receiver uses the same two Allen-screws.

tonguengroover
Been around awhile

Post by tonguengroover »

Bisbee wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:51 pm
I stripped down, polished, rebuilt, added to, fondled my 10/22’s enough times that one look at that video was enough for me. Jeebus, even the barrel lock to their receiver uses the same two Allen-screws.
Sadly mine is still in the box unused. Finally bought a new one after selling my old one 30 years ago I have yet to strip it down and clean the factory junk off. To much worky worky. OK I'm lazy and spend too much time on forums. This place is addictive, learn very much. Did take out my Ruger AR556 couple weeks ago and played with the new red dot.

K9s
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by K9s »

tonguengroover wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:03 pm
Bisbee wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:51 pm
Sadly mine is still in the box unused. Finally bought a new one after selling my old one 30 years ago I have yet to strip it down and clean the factory junk off. To much worky worky. OK I'm lazy and spend too much time on forums. This place is addictive, learn very much. Did take out my Ruger AR556 couple weeks ago and played with the new red dot.
Sounds like a good new thread! Please elaborate on this new red dot and AR556. :)
The border between civilization and savagery is porous and patrolled by opportunists. Resist fascism. Vote like your democracy depends on it.

awshoot
Been around awhile

Post by awshoot »

Bisbee wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:18 pm

Because patents don't last forever. I'm in my 50s and had a 10/22 when I was 14 -- the patent must be expired by now.

shinzen
Site Admin

Post by shinzen »

Looks like it's trademark, not patent infringement. This will be an interesting case, as there are several companies that produce versions (albeit in a much more limited way) of the 10/22. What would this case do to Kidd, Magnum Research, and Volquartzen?
https://www.magnumresearch.com/magnum-lite-22/
https://volquartsen.com/departments/22_ ... mmit-rifle
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

tonguengroover
Been around awhile

Post by tonguengroover »

So just yesterday the CEO of S&W predicted this is going to be a good year. Not sure of the financial impact this would make if they lost. Maybe he's trying to cover up the case.

tonguengroover
Been around awhile

Post by tonguengroover »

shinzen wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:38 am
Looks like it's trademark, not patent infringement. This will be an interesting case, as there are several companies that produce versions (albeit in a much more limited way) of the 10/22. What would this case do to Kidd, Magnum Research, and Volquartzen?
https://www.magnumresearch.com/magnum-lite-22/
https://volquartsen.com/departments/22_ ... mmit-rifle
Oh I see much similarity with those two as well. magnum lite show a pic with a ruger mag in it. Both are not bragging about it being for all intents and purposes a copy of the 10/22 like S&W is.

shinzen
Site Admin

Post by shinzen »

Well. VQ makes replacement 10/22 receivers (the serialized part) as well as every other part for the 10/22, so....
https://volquartsen.com/departments/1022_parts

Dunno. This could be sweeping. VQ does the same thing for MKII/III/IV pistols.
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

shinzen
Site Admin

Post by shinzen »

I think the real difference is the price point- Ruger doesn't see VQ or Magnum as competition for their bread and butter line- they are enthusiast guns at a very different price point and not going after the core rifle business.
- Maya Angelou

Bucolic
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by Bucolic »

I recall that Ruger sued Kidd a couple years ago. I think it was resolved by Kidd’s insertion of a “registered trademark” symbol on every use of “10/22” and “Ruger” on their web site.