Re: Democratic Party platform plank on gun prohibition

308Scout wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:01 pm our "gun problem" is largely a symptom of other problems. fix those other problems, you fix the "gun problem". When you break your leg, the doctors do not treat the symptom (the pain) and send you on your way with a broken leg. they fix the leg which fixes the pain. or put another way...work on the root cause issues of our "gun problem"...which is people, economy, justice, etc. and then you don't need to worry about who has guns.
+1

Colion Noir has said as much when addressing gun violence, and I happen to agree with him. It's been a socio-economic issue for years and one that politicians can't seem to fix. Improve wages, jobs, schools and neighborhoods and maybe people wouldn't have to resort to crime.

The Democratic candidate could be the 2nd coming of Jesus Christ, as long as he/she supports gun control in any form, they'll NEVER get a vote from me.

Fact is gun control is a platform adopted to get votes today. But the position was originally rooted in a deep fear within the Democratic party. You see the party of Jefferson Davis, Jim Crow laws, segregation, and Black Civil Code laws didn't want the people they had suppressed for so long to be able to take up arms. That fear and racism within the Democratic party still exist today IMHO. Don't believe me... Consider that the strictest gun control laws in the country (places like NY City and LA) are enforced over largely minority communities which are also lead by nearly unanimous Democratic leadership. Now, why is that, exactly?

Gun conrol isn't about the gun. It's about the control. Democrats don't want any more repeats of events like the Battle of Athens:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of ... %281946%29
.....where Democrats leveraged corruption, voter intimidation, voter poll taxes, and election fraud to control the populace by inserting their candidates into office. They ultimately were prevented from doing so by an armed citizenry who had reached the end of their rope. This is why the Democrats want to advance the narrative that the 2nd has nothing to do with preventing tyranny in government. They don't want us to remember that there are actual examples of this in our history. It's all about hunting if you listen to them. This little inconvenient truth is something they just hope you forget about or never learn about. I'm not saying that the Repubs are beyond this either by the way... Just that history shows us the Dems actually tried tyranny.

I don't fit into a box and so I don't call myself a Democrat or a Republican. I probably more closely align with the Democrats on social and environmental issues and the Conservatives on private property rights, national security, taxes, gun rights, and fiscal policy. I say Conservative as opposed to Republican because there are very few Conservatives left in the Republican party at this point.
Last edited by ThePreBanMan on Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

ThePreBanMan wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:27 am The Democratic candidate could be the 2nd coming of Jesus Christ, as long as he/she supports gun control in any form, they'll NEVER get a vote from me.

Fact is gun control is a platform adopted to get votes today. But the position was originally rooted in a deep fear within the Democratic party. You see the party of Jefferson Davis, Jim Crow laws, segregation, and Black Civil Code laws didn't want the people they had suppressed for so long to be able to take up arms. That fear and racism within the Democratic party still exist today IMHO. Don't believe me... Consider that the strictest gun control laws in the country (places like NY City and LA) are enforced over largely minority communities which are also lead by nearly unanimous Democratic leadership. Now, why is that, exactly?

Gun conrol isn't about the gun. It's about the control. Democrats don't want any more repeats of events like the Battle of Athens:
.....where Democrats leveraged corruption, voter intimidation, voter poll taxes, and election fraud to control the populace by inserting their candidates into office. They ultimately were prevented from doing so by an armed citizenry who had reached the end of their rope. This is why the Democrats want to advance the narrative that the 2nd has nothing to do with preventing tyranny in government. They don't want us to remember - there are actual examples of this in our history. It's all about hunting if you listen to them. This little inconvenient truth is something they just hope you forget about or never learn about.

I don't fit into a box and so I don't call myself a Democrat or a Republican. I probably more closely align with the Democrats on social and environmental issues and the Conservatives on private property rights, national security, taxes, gun rights, and fiscal policy. I say Conservative as opposed to Republican because there are very few Conservatives left in the Republican party at this point.
Wow. Serious trolling on this first post.
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

K9s wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:30 am
ThePreBanMan wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:27 am The Democratic candidate could be the 2nd coming of Jesus Christ, as long as he/she supports gun control in any form, they'll NEVER get a vote from me.

.....where Democrats leveraged corruption, voter intimidation, voter poll taxes, and election fraud to control the populace by inserting their candidates into office. They ultimately were prevented from doing so by an armed citizenry who had reached the end of their rope. This is why the Democrats want to advance the narrative that the 2nd has nothing to do with preventing tyranny in government. They don't want us to remember - there are actual examples of this in our history. It's all about hunting if you listen to them. This little inconvenient truth is something they just hope you forget about or never learn about.

Not at all. Only by acknowledging past mistakes and making reforms to prevent them in the future (like abandoning gun control born from a platform built upon racism) can the Democratic party truly reform itself to be the party of the people that it claims to be.

shinzen wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:37 am Fuck me. Another gift from Northeast Shooters. No, we're not interested in listening to or responding to your bullshit.
So you ban me... LOL... Wow. .....and with that single act, you demonstrate what most liberals are REALLY all about. They're all about inclusiveness, diversity of people and ideas, but only so long as they like what you have to say...... No wonder Obama had a Chairman Mao ornament on the WH Christmas tree.... Communists gonna commie I guess.... No room for anyone who doesn't tote the party line here....

Engaging in substantive debate, and exchanging of ideas.... Nah, can't have that. It's just easier to silence those voices. We only want to hear from people of like mind. You see we're far too insecure in our own positions to have them be questioned by someone else. We only want to hear from people who are going to stroke our feelings by affirming to us we're right. There's no room for descent here.

I feel bad and sad for you friend. I hope that one day you can grow up into a more confident and sure person. One who is secure in themselves and their beliefs and doesn't feel threatened by and wants to silence someone who has a different view on life.

There is difference between exchanging ideas and spreading propaganda. Too many things to fact check and it accomplishes their goal of pissing people off and disrupting the conversation.

Gotta say this about "Obama had a Chairman Mao ornament on the WH Christmas tree" which is straight from Faux News "War on Christmas" theme.

https://latimesblogs.latimes.com/cultur ... house.html
Warhol's parody transformed the leader of the world's most populous nation into a vapid superstar -- the most famous of the famous. The portrait photo from Mao's Little Red Book is tarted up with lipstick, eye-shadow and other Marilyn Monroe-style flourishes.
Obama Has Averted Yet Another Christmas Tree Scandal
https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/ar ... al/335705/
Andrew Breitbart's Big Government blog pulled out its magnifying glass and found an ornament on the White House not-holiday-but-Christmas tree that featured Andy Warhol's "Mao" portrait. It was suggested that this was Obama's shout-out to his comrades in China, though the ornament depicted artwork that hangs in the National Gallery and was designed by outside community groups.
Fresh from a campaign in which he had to deny that he is a Muslim, in 2009, Obama had to reassure the blogosphere that, no, he wouldn't be renaming the White House Christmas tree a "holiday tree."
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

Bacchus wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:42 pm When has liberal come to mean for another person: 'I can say any stupid shit I want to and you have to sit there, listen, and smile?'

I gotta think there's some wrong information being spread out there.
That's what happens when we let our opponents make the rules.

I fear the fearful Repubs need to see figuratively a few heads on pikes to understand their severe immaturity and utter lack of skills to govern.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

tonguengroover wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:10 pm Dems need to lay off the gun control thing or they will lose again. I feel I'm as liberal as the next guy. And I've voted democrat all my life. I will not vote for a democrat who wants to take my guns away. I will vote 3rd party. And the dems should realize that many will follow.
But they don't get it, do they? The Democrats blame Russian interference and Bernie and lies and scandals and simply cannot understand that they lost the damn election with a shitty platform and a shitty candidate. They alienated enough voters who wanted to be Democrats but could not to lose the damn election.

And those who can't figure out what went wrong will make the same damn mistake over, and over, and over, until they figure out that they snatched despair and defeat from the very jaws of easy victory. American do not want to be disarmed in this environment be they Liberals, Democrats, Republicans, Conservatives, Nationalists, Fascists, Anti Fascists....we have a group of screaming mimi's who think the answer to a violent America is to make things more unjust and deny people their Rights.

Boy. That'll fix it eh?

VooDoo
Tyrants disarm the people they intend to oppress.

I am sworn to support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic.

ThePreBanMan wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:27 am The Democratic candidate could be the 2nd coming of Jesus Christ, as long as he/she supports gun control in any form, they'll NEVER get a vote from me. ...
It isn't trolling -- there are plenty of people, myself included, who don't toe any particular party line and by doing so, tend to have a set of values that hangs together more logically.

awshoot wrote:
ThePreBanMan wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:27 am The Democratic candidate could be the 2nd coming of Jesus Christ, as long as he/she supports gun control in any form, they'll NEVER get a vote from me. ...
It isn't trolling -- there are plenty of people, myself included, who don't toe any particular party line and by doing so, tend to have a set of values that hangs together more logically.
But in this case he was trolling. Of the concern variety. Here to educate us in our mistakes and misdeeds and a beeline from NES.

They do that and go back and crow something like “hold my beer this will be funny” followed quickly by “so much for the tolerant liberal.”

We are not here for them.