Re: The bicycle thread

Sadly on my way home. Taking the day off, starting it off right.

My wife wants me to build her a sturdy townie cruiser like the one I ride. Im butchering a quote from Gary fisher in Klunkerz, something like: Building bikes back then was half technical ability, half dark art. So far, I have 2 huffys, a broken frame late 90s Specialized S-Works (all XTR :), a 29” fork and threaded-to-threadless conversion headset. More to come!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lurker wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:42 am
Bullitt68 wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:45 am Here's one cyclist from some scandanavian county training here coming down the mountain.

https://youtu.be/nO_oOKE2PVg
i've seen that video, didn't know where it was. i've seen mt. lemon.. on the horizon. long time ago i spent a couple days in saguaro natl. forest.
There's lots of deer in the morning running around on the road.
We sit in the mud... and reach for the stars.
Ivan Turgenev

Prevent Suicides Call https://suicidepreventionlifeline.org/t ... meone-now/

this morning i rode violet down to the transportation museum, about a mile. the offices were closed, but the big buildings, maintenance shop and roundhouse, were open so i rode thru, gave myself the quick unguided tour, and looked at the buggys, trains, cars and airplanes. didn't see any bicycles, i'll look for them next time.
they're having an event this saturday, might try to go see.
https://nctrans.org/Events/Military.asp ... VJRJxaXcS8
i'm retired. what's your excuse?

bajajoaquin wrote:I currently have five bikes: a tandem, a triple, two Schwann cruisers, and a bakfiets. Oh, six: an Atlas I was given from India. It’s not assembled yet, though.

Here’s the bakfeits from a ride to the hardware store and to check the surf on Saturday
21BB3B3E-50ED-4213-BF87-863865641060.jpeg
Yehuda Moon would be proud.

aasoverteakettle wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:16 am
bajajoaquin wrote:I currently have five bikes: a tandem, a triple, two Schwann cruisers, and a bakfiets. Oh, six: an Atlas I was given from India. It’s not assembled yet, though.

Here’s the bakfeits from a ride to the hardware store and to check the surf on Saturday

21BB3B3E-50ED-4213-BF87-863865641060.jpeg
Yehuda Moon would be proud.

I had never heard about Yehuda Moon before. I did a search and came across this comic:

http://yehudamoon.com/comic/2017-03-15/

I must be a member of the clergy. I love my dynohub.

Today, I found on the street, 2 easily restorable bicycles. The first is an 18 speed Woman's off-road Trek. Other than flat tires it looks in good shape. Not high end--no suspension and cantilever brakes. I noticed the cotterless bottom bracket, quick-releases, and alloy cranks. It's possible that a tooth or two on the center front sprocket is worn or broken--didn't get a good look at it (or either bike).

The second is a 10 speed, probably from the '70's or '80's, a Concord (?) with alloy frame, Weinman Center pulls, a Dia-Comp steering head, quick-release skewers, and possibly alloy wheels. I didn't see the shifter / deraileur brands but I'm guessing Huret or Shimano.

I'll try and get pictures of the "before" bikes and then others as the rebuilds happen. Not sure where I'll go with them but they looked in too good condition to pass up.

Also a perfectly good 4 ' 6" aluminum step ladder. The owner pulled in and I asked if I could take the stuff. He said that's what it was on the street for. I didn't take a Craftsman gas blower--I mess with small engines enough, or a rusty sump pump.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

The Concord Frame: I was wrong, the brakes are not Weinman but Dia-Comps. The shifters and derailleurs are Shimano, as are the hubs and skewers.
ConcordBikeFrame.jpg
The wheels are alloy, not chromed steel.
ConcordWheels.jpg
The mountain bike also has Shimano derailleurs. Looks mostly like it needs new tubes, and everything cleaned, adjusted, and lubed.
TrekWomansBike.jpg
I can't believe they just threw these bikes out! Both need brake pads, but I've yet to assess whether the chains, sprockets, and cables are OK. The Trek's tires look good, but the Concord's look played. I'll also have to true the wheels, I expect. I expect the main investment in these two bicycles will be "sweat equity" but I may want to convert the Concord to 15 or even 18 or 21 speeds.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

YankeeTarheel wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:36 pm Ordered a set of Weinman rims from ebay, new brake pads from Amazon. This will be my first time completely reweaving wheels. 27x1.25" 36h wheels aren't that common anymore.
Jesus. I feel old. That was pretty much what we used to race on. Some of us might drop down the 32h and a few of us insisted on 40h rear wheels, but ...

JohnNewell wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 4:21 am
YankeeTarheel wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:36 pm Ordered a set of Weinman rims from ebay, new brake pads from Amazon. This will be my first time completely reweaving wheels. 27x1.25" 36h wheels aren't that common anymore.
Jesus. I feel old. That was pretty much what we used to race on. Some of us might drop down the 32h and a few of us insisted on 40h rear wheels, but ...
Yeah. I bought my Peugeot UO-8 at the end of the summer of 1972, after working all summer in the Reader's Digest mail room earning money for college (imagine how much fun THAT was for a 17 year old!) I paid the awesome sum of $155 including toe clips and NYS sales tax. I found the Concord on the street a couple of weeks ago and about all I can see wrong are a bent Araya rim, rotted tires and tubes, and brake pads. I may well make it into my stationary exercise bike and break the Peugeot out of jail. Unless one of my sons wants it.

Battery died in the car recently. Combination of not being driven and kids playing in it leaving lights on. Coincidentally, we got tired of f--king with the vacuum that always needed to be messed with to get right. So I went and got a new vacuum and a new battery.
bakfiets-vacuum-sm.jpg
bakfiets-battery-sm.jpg
And, just because I like the picture, here's the HOV of my bicycle collection:
triple.jpeg

Yeah, it's the last time she's riding without a child stoker kit.

In fact, since this pic was taken, she's grown enough that I think she can sit on the rear seat all the way down. I'll pull it out and try to adjust it this coming weekend. Then the little one will go in the middle for now.

bajajoaquin wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:31 pm Yeah, it's the last time she's riding without a child stoker kit.

In fact, since this pic was taken, she's grown enough that I think she can sit on the rear seat all the way down. I'll pull it out and try to adjust it this coming weekend. Then the little one will go in the middle for now.
Aha! Make her work for her ride!

That's right. When I was dating my wife, I had a yellow Schwinn Twinn. I made sure that I stopped putting pressure on my pedals when she was on the back. Just to see if she was pedaling. She did, and we were married soon after (not really, it was a couple more years, but it sounds good that way).

bajajoaquin wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:52 pm That's right. When I was dating my wife, I had a yellow Schwinn Twinn. I made sure that I stopped putting pressure on my pedals when she was on the back. Just to see if she was pedaling. She did, and we were married soon after (not really, it was a couple more years, but it sounds good that way).
And she KNEW you were testing her and married you anyway!

When we go kayaking in Abaco, I always take the rear seat because that's the control and steering and I learned how to paddle canoes by the time I was 8 and she's still relatively new to it--kayaks are easy to steer in comparison! I never let her do all the work, though.

bajajoaquin wrote:Battery died in the car recently. Combination of not being driven and kids playing in it leaving lights on. Coincidentally, we got tired of f--king with the vacuum that always needed to be messed with to get right. So I went and got a new vacuum and a new battery.
bakfiets-vacuum-sm.jpg
bakfiets-battery-sm.jpg
And, just because I like the picture, here's the HOV of my bicycle collection:
triple.jpeg
This is sweet!

aasoverteakettle wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:35 am
wooglin wrote:
aasoverteakettle wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:28 amMy wife wants me to build her a sturdy townie cruiser like the one I ride.
I've built a number of those over the years. This is the final iteration of my 1989 Stumpjumper.
Old mountain bikes make the best cruisers!

I think so too!
I was just given a S&S Newport from 1979.
These were 26" BMX bikes, kinda weird.
I've already got the frame mostly stripped down, but the seat post is bent and stuck.
I'll have to wait to get home to get out my slide hammer...
Plan is to install a Shimano 7 or 8 speed NEXUS rear hub and a springer fork.
.jpg
(Not the bike I got, but same model/color!)
"I hope ever to see America among the foremost nations in examples of justice and liberality" - George Washington

Been pretty busy lately, but glad to visit my favorite LGC thread with some fun bike updates:

Some moss bashing.

Finally finished restoration of a 1982 Ross Mt Whitney. Looking forward to some tours on it.

My favorite reference document for that restoration. I want those pants, but I’ve been laid off and am changing careers, so money is TOO TIGHT for new photoshoot pants.