Re: Any Enfield aficionados here

offensivename wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:29 pm Caveat Emptor when shopping at Classic. They have shitty practices (this is totally without a doubt the last shipment of enfields ever except for the ones they sold last month that were the last ever or the ones sitting in their warehouse). They also overestimate the quality of everything and their 'hand pick' is a joke.
I do agree that "hand pick" is rarely worth it. For me, never, but someone somewhere will argue with me on that.

I was just posting that for people to know about it.
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

hand pick - i remember when i bought my vz24 long ago in a dimly-lit shopping mall, tables stacked with surplus rifles from behind the iron curtain still sopping of cosmoline. pick the first one that comes to hand off the top, turn it this way and that, nothing obviously wrong with it. yeah, good enough, this one will do.
i'm retired. what's your excuse?

offensivename wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:12 pm Here's my current enfield collection. IMG_20191207_184339.jpg
the one on the left, is that a snider conversion? [headslap]no, dummy, that's a martini-henry single shot breechloader, their equivalent to our trapdoor. the snider had a hinged breech that opened to the side. [/headslap]
and the one in the middle is a p14, which we made here and became our model 1917 in 30-06. the huge ears on the rear sight and internal magazine give it away.
Last edited by lurker on Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:51 am, edited 4 times in total.
i'm retired. what's your excuse?

I feel like the two things that ever interested me about enfield rifles were the beechwood stocks looked different than the walnut everything else, and the 10 round magazines. The enfield revolvers are just rip off webleys because great britain was too cheap to pay for patented revolvers until war hit and enfield couldn't provide enough.