I wouldn't just ask this of any forum...

...so feel free to develop warm feelings toward me because of the trust I'm placing in you.

I need a recommendation for an electric rice cooker that's going to cook rice and not get on my nerves. My Wolfgang Puck rice cooker that I bought on HSN a few years ago got knocked off the counter by a cat. I got used to it but I kinda wasn't sorry to see it go. Instead of just properly cooking brown rice, I had to throw in a good bit of personal attention.

Anyway, rather than wade thru the Amazon reviews I thought I'd check in here. As Liberals, I think we can all agree that potatoes are the enemy and need Bloomberg to ban them so we, as a nation, can move on to a new dawn....or something. I'd be more coherent but I'm in the middle of renaming Thanksgiving (as a Soros paid troll, I'm going for that fat bonus).

What the hell were we talking about again? Oh yeah.

Who has a rice cooker that they love...and what is it?
If liberals interpreted the Second Amendment the way they interpret the rest of the Bill of Rights, there would be law professors arguing that gun ownership is mandatory. - Mickey Kaus, The New Republic

Re: I wouldn't just ask this of any forum...

We have an AROMA brand 8 cup that gets used multiple times a week for at least three but maybe five years now. Brown rice takes much longer than white but comes out fine. It has four buttons white, brown, steam, warm. They all do what they say.
'Sorry stupid people but there are some definite disadvantages to being stupid."

-John Cleese

YankeeTarheel wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:51 pm We have a Mueller pressure cooker...can saute, cook's rice, and can even slow-cook. But if you just want a rice cooker, lots work well, but the zojirushi is probably the best.
Agreed.

It really depends on how often you would use it. If every day, get a Japanese rice cooker or the best you can afford. If once in a while, just use a pan. It is simple and easy. I make rice often but never needed the extra room for a rice cooker (separate appliance frees up room on the stove when cooking but why?). YMMV

I hear Instapot is good. I use the stove w/saucepan method and have never had a problem.
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

Families who use "tons" of rice need a good rice cooker, because they can make a lot more rice easily than the saucepan method. I've been making rice in a saucepan so long my wife is always stunned I do it so easily. She's an excellent cook, but has a mental block against making rice. But you don't have to spend a fortune on a Zojirushi to get excellent results. It's just the best.

I don't believe the Instapot comes with a slow-cooker / rice-cooker lid--that's an aftermarket accessory. The Mueller comes with it.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

Zojirushi is priced lower than almost any firearm on the market. It isn't terribly expensive, especially if you can get a lot of use out of it.

I have no idea which model is best, but they are sold in nearly every store and online.
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

I don't know where you live, MayhemVI, but we have a large population of Asian immigrants here. If I were serious, I would ask around at a couple of H Marts. It really depends on how often you will use it and how much you think you should spend.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

JaxTeller wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:24 pm Have an Aroma brand that we received as a wedding gift 8 years ago. Gets used a few times a month - and works great. I am partial to the Basmati (what I grew up with in India) and the cooker does a great job with it.

Tempted to upgrade to the "Instant Pot" or whatever, when this one eventually dies.
Do tell us more. I was born and raised in South India.
:drunklep: Everything is better with beer and comrades. :drunklep:

Zojirushi.

I grew up eating rice pretty much everyday and my parents used a rice pot they bought at an Asian store for years. I bought something similar and it worked just fine. However, when we moved back to Texas we replaced a bunch of appliances including the rice cooker with a Zojirushi. It makes rice, oatmeal, quinoa and a bunch of other grains. We've had it for 10 years so far and it's still going strong.

Aroma Housewares ARC-914SBD - Mine is an older model I've had for several years. Works great. Also have an Instant Pot which I use when making larger qty. of rice. It works great, too. I eat a lot of rice - Balsamic my favorite - both make a great lime and cilantro rice.
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

I’m Chinese descent, grew up eating rice and using rice cookers. Japan invented the rice cooker and they still make the best, most expensive models. But all modern rice cookers from China, Korea, Taiwan (if they still make them there) should serve your needs. Zojirushi is the famous Japanese brand but many of their export models are likely made in China.

Toss some models you are looking at and we’ll give you our two-cents on them.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

Bisbee wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:24 pm I’m Chinese descent, grew up eating rice and using rice cookers. Japan invented the rice cooker and they still make the best, most expensive models. But all modern rice cookers from China, Korea, Taiwan (if they still make them there) should serve your needs. Zojirushi is the famous Japanese brand but many of their export models are likely made in China.

Toss some models you are looking at and we’ll give you our two-cents on them.
Good points.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt