Re: was going to ask in pm, but then

shinzen wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:35 pm May also want to shoot it without the faux hider to see if it changes anything.
i was going to try that before i noticed that the front sight is part of the hider :oops2: someone makes a sight that attaches to the gas cylinder but i don't have one.
Here's a vid on the crowning. It's super easy. Jump to 1:26 to see the how.
"super easy". i like the sound of that, will watch it in a bit, thanks.
i'm retired. what's your excuse?

the bore(centered, more or less), the bore(pretty much down one side), and the (recessed) crown. no, not intended as social commentary. that's the firing pin down there at the end, on the bolt face. not seeing any coppery scuffing in the flash hider, or gouges in the carbon deposits.
looks ok to my unskilled eye. opinions?
LUGO1670.JPG
LUGO1669.JPG
LUGO1667.JPG

shinzen wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:14 pm I zoomed in on the bottom picture, but can't quite tell- does it have a ding at about 8 o'clock and another at 6 o'clock? Or is that just the photo?
thanks for the reply. i know it's a bit ambitious to ask for opinions based on a single photo.
i think that's the land of the rifling making it thicker. i'll try to get a better pic tomorrow when it's light. might not be right away, there's a gun show in town i want to see tomorrow.

being pig-headed, i've been watching videos and mulling this over for 3 weeks, and my conclusion is that maybe there ARE dings on the muzzle*, and that lapping may be the solution**, or at least it's cheap enough to try without a big outlay of cash. so today i got some brass screws and valve lapping compound and ordered up a 45 degree brass crown lapping tool from brownells https://www.brownells.com/aspx/search/p ... 53&pid=679, which is expected to arrive by monday. so the question in my mind is, try the screw head first, or wait for the tool to arrive and start with that?
* how they got there inside that flash hider eludes me
** i have "reasons" to believe this, or maybe i'm just rationalizing. A: the sight adjustments i've done are opposite what i think i'd need to correct an out-of-index barrel, and, B: i tapped a .308 bullet into the muzzle just enough to engage the rifling, and the marks it made are noticeably bigger on one side than the other.

tool arrived saturday, gave it and the #10-24 brass screw a try today, looks and feels much nicer, no snags or rough spots. now just have to get it out to the range.
cleaned the grit out with water, followed by a boresnake.
caught myself wondering if a flat base .308 bullet chucked up in the drill would work for this? i have a coffee can of them for reloading...

So Marlene may have other ideas, but I'm kind of left with three real possibilities.
Easiest fix- stock fitment- is the stock putting pressure on the barrel anywhere that could be throwing it off?
Bent barrel- wouldn't take much to be off quite a bit
Receiver face not true
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

stock hardware to barrel fit is snug, but no pressure.
and then....
aha! headslap.
i came across this situation in a thread on another forum on page 14.
got out my dial caliper and sure enough.
the sight hashmarks on the receiver are offset to the right about 3 mm, which is about how far i've had to adjust the sight.
so, per marlene's advice in post 4, zero it and shoot it as it is, although that feels SO wrong.
i suppose i could get a smith to engrave a couple more notches on the left?

if anyone has an m1a or equivalent and wants to measure for rear sight mark offset, i'd like to know what you find. is it just this rifle, or are there more like this?

geno wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:16 pm If you'd still like to see the picture of a different receiver I can dig mine out of the back of the safe later tonight, and try and see how good a picture I can get of it.
sure, if it's not too much trouble. i asked on the m14 forum and one guy said 1 of 4, an armscorp is centered, the rest not so much. personally, i would find this unacceptable in a USGI rifle, but in this case, chinese, so...