Re: Another Newb from MI

K9s wrote:
geno wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:57 pm
K9s wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:35 pm Huh. Never heard a bad thing about a CZ. I don't own one, but they have a cult-like following.
Just because there's a purification ritual doesn't make it a cult!
Perhaps YT skipped it, and that was probably the problem.
I guess the secret is out! CZs are a tool of the devil. Or just a hipster gun....

Mine look great on the back seat of my Ram pickup next to a can of Mountain Dew.

Howdy from Seattle!

Everyone needs a good .22 handgun. I love a revolver, but good ones tend to be a bit pricey. I always recommend an old Ruger MkII. Ruger made a WILD variety of models, so you can find the one that really fits your steeze, they're not too expensive, and they're accurate enough that most people won't really notice the difference between a MkII and a S&W model 41 costing three times as much (more or less the last word in semi-auto rimfire target pistols) unless they have unusually steady hands and practice a lot. They seem to last a long time, and the two I own eat almost any .22LR ammo reliably. Just don't use the bolt stop as a slide release, since it's the one part that seems to wear out if abused. Always "slingshot" the bolt.

And they're slightly tricky to take down and reassemble, which builds character! Once you watch the right two YouTube videos, it's actually pretty easy. If I can do it, anyone can. Luckily, I find that you can put a whole lotta ammo through one before it really needs to be cleaned. Pulling a Bore Snake though it every couple of sessions might not hurt, but I go many hundreds of round between full breakdowns. Some semi-autos are sensitive to crap (High Standard, I'm looking at you) but the Rugers run fine even when it looks like a sewer around the feed ramp.
Last edited by Buck13 on Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
IMR4227: Zero to 900 in 0.001 seconds

I'm only killing paper and my self-esteem.

I used to love my little Phoenix Arms 22LR. Never an issue, loads of fun! Every time I consider getting one again, I talk myself out of it. With the 22LR multi-year drought, I didn't have a reason to get one.
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

K9s wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:38 am I used to love my little Phoenix Arms 22LR. Never an issue, loads of fun! Every time I consider getting one again, I talk myself out of it. With the 22LR multi-year drought, I didn't have a reason to get one.
second the hp222 (i have 2).
i'm retired. what's your excuse?

Buck13 wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:59 am I always recommend an old Ruger MkII. --snip-- Just don't use the bolt stop as a slide release, since it's the one part that seems to wear out if abused. Always "slingshot" the bolt.

And they're slightly tricky to take down and reassemble, which builds character!--snip--Rugers run fine even when it looks like a sewer around the feed ramp.
Yeppers.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

Bucolic wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:53 pm
K9s wrote:
K9s wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:35 pm Huh. Never heard a bad thing about a CZ. I don't own one, but they have a cult-like following.
I guess the secret is out! CZs are a tool of the devil. Or just a hipster gun....

Mine look great on the back seat of my Ram pickup next to a can of Mountain Dew.
Looks like a doctored photo, the guy looks too sketchy with the tattoos and the wig to be a real CZ owner. Maybe a Kel-Tec, Hi-Point, Cobra, Jimenez, Freedom Arms ...owner. ;)
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

K9s wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:38 am With the 22LR multi-year drought, I didn't have a reason to get one.
No drought lately. I think I have ten or so bricks squirreled away. I found a couple I didn't know I had a month or two ago, which was a nice surprise. I should probably invest in a few more soon, since another wave of election year panic buying wouldn't surprise me (so, I'll just panic first!)
;)

Gonna start an ammo thread on the Rimfire subforum.
IMR4227: Zero to 900 in 0.001 seconds

I'm only killing paper and my self-esteem.

Buck13 said:

No drought lately. I think I have ten or so bricks squirreled away.

So similar to Opioid addiction. You THINK you can hold the line at 5,000 rounds of 22LR. Then, you start "forgetting" you have it and and you Jones for more. Pretty soon, you have 20,000 rounds of 22LR and your family wants to do an intervention.

(Ask me how I know ;-)

22LR is too easy to shove into a small space and forget during a drought. I have a little extra now - just in case.

The CZ Hipster thing was a joke. I thought it was funny. I know and work with a lot of hipster types. I don't know any hipsters who own any firearms, actually.
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

Got a little birthday money last weekend and signed up for an intro pistol class at a local indoor range :thumbup:

Also, went to sign up for the LGC membership, but the Paypal won't let me pay it without making an account with them :sad: I had deleted my account with them after an issue where they wouldn't help with a website subscription that had scammy un-subscription. I had tried to unsubscribe before it renewed and the site charged me anyways and refused to refund it. My bank took care of it, but I'm a bit leery of making a new Paypal in case they randomly decide to take that money again and screw over our budget.

So. Hope there's an alternative method to pay!

I saw some .22 revolvers at the shops that looked pretty cool AND under $200 each. The ones at the range shop were black with flag-print grips.

Pistol class went well. About 2 hrs of class time and 30 min in the range. All my rounds were in the circles and a few even hit the center circle, though most were a bit low & right of the middle. Got a certificate, the class book, a card for up to an hour of range time, and a card for $25 off either another class OR a gun.

Aw hell, I'm late to this party but welcome from.....GR!

I haven't been around the LGC lately because my life velocity is currently faster than most bullets but when the semester ends I want to go shooting for the first time in, well, since the semester began.

You guys wanna go shooting before you move to Battle Creek?

Also, I have a friend in Aurora (near BC) with an AMAZING backyard range. I can connect you guys.
I don't like to think of my self as an artist so much as someone who stares at empty spaces and imagines s--t.

max129 wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:03 pm
Buck13 said:

No drought lately. I think I have ten or so bricks squirreled away.

So similar to Opioid addiction. You THINK you can hold the line at 5,000 rounds of 22LR. Then, you start "forgetting" you have it and and you Jones for more. Pretty soon, you have 20,000 rounds of 22LR and your family wants to do an intervention.

(Ask me how I know ;-)
Hahaha, 20K rounds of 22?! Luckily they don't take up to much space. The wife found out I was storing ammo under the bed. She was like, "Jesus Christ get that shit out from under me and at least put it over on your side." It's only 11 cans worth.
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing,”

highdesert wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:59 am
Bucolic wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:53 pm
K9s wrote:

Looks like a doctored photo, the guy looks too sketchy with the tattoos and the wig to be a real CZ owner. Maybe a Kel-Tec, Hi-Point, Cobra, Jimenez, Freedom Arms ...owner. ;)
I dug up the meme's origin. Turns out he is real and a barista, quite pissed his image turned into a meme.

"Think these meme posts aren’t relevant to real life? THINK AGAIN. This man is a real barista in a real coffee shop and got really pissed when he heard he was a meme. Look out– the next hipster meme model COULD BE YOU."
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing,”