Another Newb from MI

Hi :wave:

Husband and I are both Army veterans, so not new-new to shooting but haven't done any since we were in. Taking up shooting as a hobby came up for me a couple years ago, but between being in the city (GR) and tight finances not much happened there and interest fell off. Husband got a new job recently and we're planning to move south of Battle Creek in January, so the possibility of small town life got me interested again.

I found my way here after trying to do some self-education on youtube and getting tired of all the right-wing rants in channels that have otherwise good info on guns and stuff. Decided to find some left leaning groups in hopes I can get pointed to better videos and other resources. Found The Liberal Prepper FB group and they recommended this club. Right now we have to focus finances on the future move and Husband's long commute, but I'll probably get a membership later when I feel I can fit it in the budget.

Right now all we have is a shotgun my dad gave us, and my son has some pellet guns, an airsoft gun, and a small rifle from my dad for his birthday. Not going to my dad for gun advice though because I'm not talking to him, there was drama after he posted to FB about "how liberals should be shot" and probably shouldn't go into it here. :problem:

An AR is on my wishlist because I basically already know how to clean it, lol. Not sure what I'd want in a pistol, but shopping and trying stuff may wait until after the move.

Re: Another Newb from MI

If you're not sure what you want in a pistol, go to a range where you can rent lots of stuff. One range, near me, allows you to swap for any other handgun of the same caliber at no charge. So I went through 3 or 4 9mm's the first time, and several more the 2nd time.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

"Hobby." Oh, man, that rocks. If I were to try to describe what firearms are for me, that's it. I'm an old fart, so seeing this is pretty sweet. Nice.

Greetings from northern California where absolutely no one knows what is meant by "where are you on the glove?"

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

K9s wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:44 pm Welcome!

I think you need a 1911. Just a hunch.

:)
I know this is heresy, but I have NO desire for a 1911. :sorry:

I'm not planning on any more handguns but the first choice would be a 9mm revolver--Chiappa, Ruger, or S&W.

Semis: I'd like a Beretta 92, and an H-K P30 SK
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

:ninja: GR is big enough I doubt anybody is gonna find my house just from that, lol. The town we're looking at for the move is technically a village, so we're highly amused at the prospect of becoming villagers.

I think there might be a couple places around with ranges that will rent guns to try out. :thumbup: I'll look into prices and maybe during the pre-move declutter I can sell some stuff for pocket money. :D

The 3 gun competition videos I saw on youtube look like fun. (and an unneeded excuse to get a variety of stuff and things, lol) Husband accuses me of collecting hobbies, but the ones we can do together he doesn't mind so much.

Welcome, and thank you for your service! Been a while since I'd set foot in the mitten-shaped state, but I've fond memories of hanging out, record shopping, and seeing bands in GR and Ann Arbor (we once played a show in Detroit which wasn't as traumatic as I might have anticipated, but that's whole 'nother story).

YankeeTarheel wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:01 pm I know this is heresy, but I have NO desire for a 1911. :sorry:
BURN the witch!
nah, more for those of us who appreciate real guns. it's cool. we're cool :cool:
YankeeTarheel wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:01 pm I'm not planning on any more handguns but the first choice would be a 9mm revolver--Chiappa, Ruger, or S&W.
there's a gun show in town today (sunday) and i'm going to look for an enfield topbreak revolver. or a webley, but those are high. possibly my last firearm purchase, then it will be time to thin the herd. :wavecry:
i'm retired. what's your excuse?

Chiappa seems cool. I wish those weren't so expensive. It's not like I need another revolver.

Sorry, LaptopCoffee. We tend to do this in every thread. Trying to be helpful. :lol:
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

K9s wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:34 am Chiappa seems cool. I wish those weren't so expensive. It's not like I need another revolver.

Sorry, LaptopCoffee. We tend to do this in every thread. Trying to be helpful. :lol:
Yes to all of this.... :coffee:

YankeeTarheel wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:01 pm I know this is heresy, but I have NO desire for a 1911. :sorry:
Same here, great pistols but I don't crave one.

I know where GR is, I was born about 45 miles south. California is "different", blue Berkeley or as a relative used to call it Berzerkly is a pole away from red Bakersfield with it's country western good ole boy ways.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Hi LaptopCoffee, welcome and thank you for your service.

There are some very intelligent and knowledgeable people on this forum. For the most part, you don't have to go anywhere else for gun info!!! And we are serious about our guns and the Second Amendment. All these nice folks are happy to answer any gun questions you might have.

I think it is easy see that we like to joke around with each other about gun stuff. It is all good-natured fun. As long as you shoot safe, I don't care what you shoot, I just hope you have a great fun!!!

That being said, please know that 1911 ownership is caused by latent conservative tendencies, and real liberals shoot a Kel-Tec Sub-2000.
All religions united with government are more or less inimical to liberty. All, separated from government, are compatible with liberty.-Henry Clay
Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms.—Aristotle

Hi LaptopCoffee,

Welcome to the LGC - glad to have more veterans online here. I'll stay way from inter-service rivalries here :-)

I hope you enjoy visiting and reading here. I have learned a lot about firearms reading this forum - and "yes" my buying has increased since I joined. But I am more informed.

:welcome: