Greetings from New Orleans

Hello all,

I caught the gun bug a bit late in life, but that's mainly due to me growing up in a country that doesn't have a gun culture.
I've been living in New Orleans with my wife and 5 cats for 7 years now, and I bought my first gun this year. It's a Beretta PX4 Storm Compact in 9 mm. My wife bought a Glock 19. I don't have much to compare my PX4 to, since the only other guns I've ever shot are my wife's Glock 19 and my friends Glock 17, but I like the way the PX4 shoots and feels in my hand. I also like the way the gun looks, something I can't say of the Glocks. I do find the PX4 a bit bulky and I'm looking for a slimmer gun for IWB EDC.
Perhaps it's a bit shallow, but the look of a gun matters to me and after doing quite a bit of research I've narrowed my choice down to either a Walther PPKS or a the Beretta Cheetah 85FS. I like the stainless versions of both these guns the best. I've read that the S&W version of the PPKS was an inferior product, but I believe Walther is now making the PPKS themselves in Arizona.
I can't seem to make up my mind between these 2 guns. I'm also having a hard time finding them (except for on gunbroker,com but I'm very hesitant to buy a gun through that website) so perhaps I'll choose which gun I'll get based on availability.

Anyway, it's nice the find this place. I've always been left of center (that's almost a given growing up in uber-liberal Holland) but the older I get, the less I'm interested in politics.
Needless to say that I'm appalled by the current inhabitant of the White House and I think that people who voted for this person (i.e. almost all of Louisiana) have a lot to answer for.

Greets,

Vincent

Re: Greetings from New Orleans

Nice intro, and welcome aboard from Northern California! Buying on Gunbroker can be a good thing, just be sure to get a seller who has some positive feedback for selling. I've had good luck over the years with it.
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

:welcome: Louisiana (LA) is Trump country, but Nawlins is different. The Walther or the Beretta are good choices, both blowback operated 380s. If you can rent them at a range, which do you shoot better and would be easier to carry. I like Berettas but everyone is different.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Greetings from Texas!

the px4 is a great carry gun, easy to shoot and recoil is tamed with the rotating locking system. if you want slim, the glock 43, Taurus g2c, mossberg mc1, or m&p all are good options (I carry a Taurus 709, I know, Taurus sucks) and disappear under clothing as light as a tshirt

what's your dream gun if you could buy one?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

TEXGunny wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:28 am Greetings from Texas!

the px4 is a great carry gun, easy to shoot and recoil is tamed with the rotating locking system. if you want slim, the glock 43, Taurus g2c, mossberg mc1, or m&p all are good options (I carry a Taurus 709, I know, Taurus sucks) and disappear under clothing as light as a tshirt

My dream gun is a Beretta 92 Inox Ghost (the one with all stainless controls) but I need to get myself a (small-ish) carry-gun, first,New Orleans having the edge that it has always had. You're a Southerner so you'll know how hot it is down here for most of the year. That means I wear shorts and a T-shirt from March to November. I guess if I wear cargo pants, the PPKS could be a pocket carry, although I've read elsewhere that most find the gun too heavy for pocket carry.
I really am smitten by the stainless Cheetah, especially with nice wood grips. If I can get my paws on one, I'm thinking that will be my carry gun.

Cheers,

Vincent

PS. Am very nervous about the Cowboys coming to the Superdome tonight, especially with Drew out.

Welcome!

If you want a small and nice looking ccw, I would recommend Kahr. I had a Kahr P 380 and it shoots and carries great. It will fire +p, which gets you to close to 9mm balistics. I did't find it snappy at all.

Otherwise, I would consider the Kimber K6 revolver or LCR in 3" .357.

"Person, woman, man, camera, TV."

VincentVega wrote:
TEXGunny wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:28 am Greetings from Texas!

My dream gun is a Beretta 92 Inox Ghost (the one with all stainless controls) but I need to get myself a (small-ish) carry-gun, first,New Orleans having the edge that it has always had. You're a Southerner so you'll know how hot it is down here for most of the year. That means I wear shorts and a T-shirt from March to November. I guess if I wear cargo pants, the PPKS could be a pocket carry, although I've read elsewhere that most find the gun too heavy for pocket carry.
I really am smitten by the stainless Cheetah, especially with nice wood grips. If I can get my paws on one, I'm thinking that will be my carry gun.

Cheers,

Vincent

PS. Am very nervous about the Cowboys coming to the Superdome tonight, especially with Drew out.
all Walters are heavier than they should be. I try to avoid them

when you get the beretta, go over to altamont and get grips for it. they're very good grips for the money and will take it to a new level

also, I'm not a cowboys fan. Go Rams! (And Dodgers)

Welcome from Lexington KY.

It is not shallow to like pretty guns. And believe me, I like pretty guns. I have a couple that are ugly, but still like the way they look.
All religions united with government are more or less inimical to liberty. All, separated from government, are compatible with liberty.-Henry Clay
Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms.—Aristotle

Welcome, from NJ!
You can match your Px4 to a Cx4 carbine--the 9mm takes both Px4 and 92fs mags--if set up for one there's an adapter to use the other.
I don't have a Beretta handgun but the 92 was my 3rd choice. My Cx4 and Kel-Tec Sub2000 both use the 92fs magazines.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

I have a stainless S&W PPK. It's relatively heavy because it's all steel. The Beretta has an Al alloy frame.
I like the PPK, it is pretty. I had an inox 92fs but I sold it on. It was nice enough but I could never bring myself to love it.
The S&W PPK had an issue with the hammer block that was fixed on a recall. I sent mine in. It was painless and Smith paid shipping both ways. You can tell if it has been back because it will have a punch mark on the groove in the beavertail just behind the hammer. I presume they are still fixing them.

Chamber's empty, magazine's full, safety's broken.

Greetings! Nice intro.

Though nice looking, steel guns do not carry well in shorts or generally in the pocket. They are quite heavy for that purpose and jostle around way too much, likely to fall out of the pocket if not holstered and securely attached via clip or to the belt, but I’m sure you’ll try it out before actually buying a gun for that purpose.

My EDC is a Smith and Wesson Shield in 9mm, IWB. Not so purty as a CZ-75 Compact...
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

Welcome from sunny South Florida!

New Orleans in my favorite city on earth, by far. Great food, great music, great nightlife, great history, and dirty enough to keep you grounded in an imperfect society.

I totally feel for you on good looking guns. I'd suggest maybe looking at the Sig P238, Springfield 911, or Kimber Micro. They're small 380s with great triggers made lighter by alloy frames. I carry a 911 every day and the thing is actually a pleasure to shoot for how small it is, and it's very easy to carry. It slightly too big/heavy to be a "pocket carry" for me, but I'm 135lbs soaking wet at just under 6', so I'm a total beanpole.

Conversely, maybe look at the purpose of a carry piece and adjust your priorities. If you want something truly pocket-friendly that's still effective, it's hard to go wrong with a Ruger LCP II, and the price is certainly right. It's tiny, very lightweight, and it has a proven track record of reliability. I prefer a manual safety on my carry weapon, which is the only reason I don't carry the LCP II, but everyone is different and pretty much all modern handguns are as safe as the person handling them.