Re: Greetings from the Second City

DMac wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:42 pm
K9s wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:39 pm
DMac wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:44 pm
YankeeTarheel wrote:Hi, from NJ!

(Still jet-lagged from driving most of the length of Cali, and part of Oregon--from Eugene to Irvine and then on the red-eye back east)
I have a simple rule: If the trip is a minute over 4 hour drive, I'm hopping my ass on a jet.
Funny, my rule is six hours. I guess your airport must be closer to you and easier to traverse.
Two airports, actually. Life in the big city. :cool:
There used to be a non-stop from DC National (now Reagan) to MidWay. I'd fly there and my (future) wife would pick me up there because her place was inside the Loop. Naturally, I LOVE going to Chicago, because it meant seeing her. She felt the opposite, because it meant we were apart. Ironically, our son ended up at NU and would LOVE to return to the area when he's done in Irvine.

Despite our "disagreement" about Chicago, we're married 32 years, today! :love: :love: :love: :love: Where DID the time go????
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

YankeeTarheel wrote:
K9s wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:25 pm You call Midway an airport? I guess so...
Well, I gotta admit I haven't flown into it since 1986--and it had weeds growing through the tarmac even then.
MDW is nothing like it was in the 70s and 80s. Its a great second airport with good amenities. To put it a different way...It's luxurious compared to LaGuardia

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Welcome from Washington State. I really like Chicago. Been there many times.
My kids (I still call them kids but they're 50 and 40), would love your comics. My daughter and here husband hit all the Comicon shows. He is in the role gaming biz, she does demonstrations of games for someone (can't remember who) at the shows. Of course they both have day jobs. My son, as a hobby, sells a lot of the action figure spin offs from comics and the movies inspired by the comics. I'll send them a link to those pages.
Anyway, Semper Fi from a Semper Paratus. Marines getting hurt??? Who woulda thunk it.
Peter D. EIkenberry
http://newboatbuilders.com
"Don't tell me that I can't, tell me how I can!"

DMac wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:48 pm
K9s wrote:You call Midway an airport? I guess so...
Fighting words
Just kidding around. I have to represent the ATL. World's busiest airport, they say.
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

But CDG in Paris is a hundred times harder to navigate.
I second that. Flew in there in 2000. Got lost in the airport. Fortunately I speak a little French and could ask for direction.

I've flown into and out of Midway. Not the greatest airport but I've seen worse. Fly into Belgrade Montana (now called Bozeman Yellowstone International Airport. It's neither international or anywhere near Yellowstone. )
Peter D. EIkenberry
http://newboatbuilders.com
"Don't tell me that I can't, tell me how I can!"

OldCoastie wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:37 pm
But CDG in Paris is a hundred times harder to navigate.
I second that. Flew in there in 2000. Got lost in the airport. Fortunately I speak a little French and could ask for direction.

I've flown into and out of Midway. Not the greatest airport but I've seen worse. Fly into Belgrade Montana (now called Bozeman Yellowstone International Airport. It's neither international or anywhere near Yellowstone. )
Both my wife and I speak a little French and can ask for directions. I was trying to find the Avis car rental and they sent us on a bus to a different terminal to the Ibis hotel. Even with MY French "Avis" sounds nothing like "Ibis". My wife, who's tough as nails, was about in tears. Luckily the desk clerk at the Ibis spoke far better English than we do French and got us back--after 2 hours of chasing our tails. WHEN we got to Avis, they were great, but the only GPS disk they had was in French, but simple enough that we could understand it: "Prennez le prochaine droit" is pretty straight forward. (It was a really nice Peugeot, Diesel, with an enormous trunk and drove and rode like an S-class Mercedes. The French would put us to shame the way they maintain their roads, too, both highways and surface streets) CDG is simply the most difficult airport I've been in.

Only Dulles, with the elevator buses, and that idiotic mid-field terminal, comes close. A bad idea from the 60's that they never fixed, the buses were supposed to be jetways. You get on the bus, it drives out to the plane, then elevates and you board. Complete failure.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

wpkato wrote:Welcome from a fellow Chicagoan and Linux user!

We have a local Chicago LGC chapter. Hope to meet you soon at a meeting or range day

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Totally just saw this post. Is there a mailing list or am I already on it since I became a LGC member.

Also, we should make LGC mean Linux Gun Club

Welcome from a fellow Chicago resident.

Chicago, Cook County, and Illinois have a quagmire of firearm-related statutes, ordinances and regulations. You're welcome to contact me with any concerns.

Stay alert, safe, and lawful.
Illinois Concealed Carry Firearms Instructor | NRA Certified Pistol & CCW Instructor | Firearms Legal Consultant & Expert Witness | Illinois Licensed Private Security Officer