Hello From Michigan

Hi everyone, long time liberal, first time gun owner here. I've been cheering you guys on from the sidelines for a while now, but since I've recently gotten my wife on board with me keeping a gun in the house I figured I owed it to myself and the community to be a more active participant. I just picked up my first: a lovely CZ 457 Varmint in .22lr. I'm pleased to say that I shot a group the size of a quarter at 50 yards the same day I zeroed it, and I know the operator is the limiting factor, not the rifle. I certainly hope this can be something of a refuge of like-minded people in the sea of toxicity that is the internet. Here's to hoping I can bring home some squirrels this season...everybody's gotta start somewhere, right?

Re: Hello From Michigan

Welcome! I think you'll like it here.

We had similar motives for joining: I think it is important to participate in a community of like-minded, responsible gun owners. Guns are both too fun and too big of a responsibility to enjoy alone.

Congrats on your CZ. I've got a CZ 455 Ultra Lux that I really, really like.

Hi from NJ!

Michigan reminds me of an old and silly non-obscene limerick (yes, they do exist):

There was a young man from Mich.
Who used to wish and wich.
That spring would come
so he could bum
And go away and fich.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

Welcome from SW Washington. I lived in Michigan ages 18-45 around U of D (now Mercy?) and later Royal Oak, Farmington Hills and finally 15 yrs. in Ortonville.
But left over 24 yrs ago.
Can't go wrong with a CZ; I own three.
"it's a goddamn impossible way of life"
"And so it goes"

Welcome from Lexington KY. I have the CZ 452 Ultra Lux.
All religions united with government are more or less inimical to liberty. All, separated from government, are compatible with liberty.-Henry Clay
Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms.—Aristotle

Hi. Work in Livonia, live in Monroe. Have a group of sane people who go up to Williams in Davison (Flint) occasionally, and I make it out to DNR ranges too, which are free and safe. And Safe is a thing, be safe.
When only cops have guns, it's called a police state.
I carry due to toxic masculinity.......just other people's.

Antiquus wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:21 pm Hi. Work in Livonia, live in Monroe. Have a group of sane people who go up to Williams in Davison (Flint) occasionally, and I make it out to DNR ranges too, which are free and safe. And Safe is a thing, be safe.
Yes, safety is #1. I'm not completely new to shooting, I've been quite a few times with friends, including to Williams once. A nice guy I met on the liberalgunowners subreddit was an NRA instructor and offered to give me some pistol shooting lessons there. These days I mostly go to the range at Island Lake rec, not quite free, but inexpensive, clean, and safe. I was the last guy there the other day, and was chatting with the RSO, since he was admiring my new setup.

I hope to go out small-game hunting this fall, see if I can bag some squirrels, but its hard in the area. There are so many hiking/biking paths in the various hunting-legal recreation areas that it just feels irresponsible to be shooting there even if it is legal. I've been looking at Dansville State Game Area out near Fowlerville, but I need to do more scouting.

BungalowBill wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:38 pm I grew up Downriver in Trenton. Welcome, and be careful — that .22 is like a gateway drug. Before you know it, you’ll have a cabinet full o’ guns.
Every gun is a gateway drug. Especially milsurp! :yahoo:
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

BungalowBill wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:38 pm I grew up Downriver in Trenton. Welcome, and be careful — that .22 is like a gateway drug. Before you know it, you’ll have a cabinet full o’ guns.
I'd like to, but for now that's going to be decided more by my wallet than anything else. Hard to build too much of a collection on a grad student's salary.

Atemporal wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:16 pm
I'd like to, but for now that's going to be decided more by my wallet than anything else. Hard to build too much of a collection on a grad student's salary.
You have plenty of time to build a shopping list. That's how it worked for me, anyway. :)
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt