Howdy From Central Texas

Trying to find more like minded people as most other gun focused groups tend to make me want to scream.

I haven't shot regularly in over a decade now, but trying to get back into it after recently starting to learn to reload.

Primarily focused on bolt action rifles and skeet shooting.

Would love to find other local shooters to meetup with once the temperatures drop to less than the surface of the sun hot. Located about an hour east of the Austin area so Houston is not out of the question either.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Re: Howdy From Central Texas

lurker wrote::welcome: what kinda bolt guns do you shoot?
Heavily modified Remington 700 in .308 Win. About 15 years ago I decided I wanted to build my own so the only original pieces are probably the action and trigger. It has mostly sat in the safe for the last decade. Also have a Fausti O/U 20ga that I used for skeet which has sat for about as long. Have kept up with making sure they are dry and properly oiled all these years at least.

If I'm an advocate for anything, it's to move. As far as you can, as much as you can. Across the ocean, or simply across the river. The extent to which you can walk in someone else's shoes or at least eat their food, it's a plus for everybody.

K9s wrote:Welcome!

You're equidistant from some very excellent cities, right? Small town living, but close to those cities in TX sounds nice.
Closest to Austin for sure, but close enough to Houston and San Antonio for easy weekend trips in under 2 hours for either.

If I'm an advocate for anything, it's to move. As far as you can, as much as you can. Across the ocean, or simply across the river. The extent to which you can walk in someone else's shoes or at least eat their food, it's a plus for everybody.

K9s wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:09 pm LOL I drive almost that far to work every day. I guess it is all relative. :)
I do about an hour each way myself which is pretty much my limit for what I am willing to commute. I think I would go nuts being on the road 4 hours a day, 2 is enough.

TxChef wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:46 pm
lurker wrote::welcome: what kinda bolt guns do you shoot?
Heavily modified Remington 700 in .308 Win. About 15 years ago I decided I wanted to build my own so the only original pieces are probably the action and trigger. It has mostly sat in the safe for the last decade. Also have a Fausti O/U 20ga that I used for skeet which has sat for about as long. Have kept up with making sure they are dry and properly oiled all these years at least.

my bolt guns are old milsurps, a krag and an m1917. and there' a sxs 12 ga. "sportsman's cleveland" which i haven't shot in over 15 yrs.
i'm retired. what's your excuse?

Welcome aboard! There's a meetup scheduled for Saturday, Oct. 5 in Lockhart, which may be convenient for you. Details on the Texas FB page and here on the forum Texas page.
I dearly love the state of Texas, but I consider that a harmless perversion on my part, and discuss it only with consenting adults. --Molly Ivins

if they give you lined paper, write sideways.--Juan Ramon Jimenez

Larch wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:47 am Welcome aboard! There's a meetup scheduled for Saturday, Oct. 5 in Lockhart, which may be convenient for you. Details on the Texas FB page and here on the forum Texas page.
Got it on my calendar and plan to attend if at all possible!

JohnNewell wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:09 pm Welcome! I claim Uvalde as a home and that's about halfway between San Antonio and the border at Del Rio.
Very cool. Grew up outside of Corpus Christi and would make a trip up to Concan during the summer for some tubing on the Frio more than a few times in the 80s and early 90s. Passed through your neck of the woods on the way there.

TxChef wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:49 pm
K9s wrote:Welcome!

You're equidistant from some very excellent cities, right? Small town living, but close to those cities in TX sounds nice.
Closest to Austin for sure, but close enough to Houston and San Antonio for easy weekend trips in under 2 hours for either.

Howdy Partner! Here in San Antonio trying to find like minded folks to go shooting.
:drunklep: Everything is better with beer and comrades. :drunklep: