NEF 20-ga Single Shot Youth to Adult

DA192469-C338-4E2F-B86C-2DCBC6DD8CC7.jpeg
I recently decided that the one class of firearm that I didn’t have but really wanted was a shotgun. Since I don’t get out to shoot much any more, I didn’t want to spend a lot of money. Also, because of completely useless logic, because I had two boxes of 20-ga bird loads lying around, it would be that gauge.

So I started looking for a 20ga single shot on the used market, mostly because I like wood and the inexpensive options New were plastic.

The other question was the barrel length. I’m unlikely to shoot skeet, do much dove hunting, and I’m not really into the home defense stuff so I didn’t know what to choose. I came across a youth NEF Pardner with a 22” barrel. I went with that. To fix the fit issues, I started following eBay for an adult stock and find one at a price I’d pay. (I was/am sorely tempted by the wood stock with the built in shell holder up now.)

Anyway, here’s my newish NEF Pardner and the new stock along side. It’s got an inch and a half longer pull and have more drop.

Re: NEF 20-ga Single Shot Youth to Adult

Sometimes, with all the fancy shotguns, we forget about how useful a single shot shotgun is. Many many people have provided all the meat for their table with a single shot shotgun. It is a classic, and I'm sure you will enjoy it.
All religions united with government are more or less inimical to liberty. All, separated from government, are compatible with liberty.-Henry Clay
Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms.—Aristotle

Thanks. I came across that sentiment a lot when I was doing research on what to buy. I kinda stumbeld into the youth model, but I think I'm going to be happy with how handy the 22" barrel is. I've never handled a gun like this before (single or SxS) and the lack of action really shortens it up! It really handles like a much shorter gun.

I've swapped over the furniture, and it looks good, except for one issue. The advice I got from Greybeard Outdoors's H&R forum was that the forend on the 12 and 12 ga guns were the same, and the .410 would need clearancing. That doesn't seem to be the case. I got a 12ga, and the attachment screw sticks out a bit. Numrich (why didn't I look there first?) shows a single part number for the screw common to all models, but it shows common part numbers for the .410/20ga and the 12/16ga forends. Given that there's one screw part number listed, I'm guessing the lug on the 12ga barrel is stubbier to accommodate the thinner wood.

See any problem if I file the screw down a few sixteenths? It might mean I need a new screw to put the old forend back on, but I can live with that.
NEF 4.jpg
NEF 3.jpg
NEF 2.jpg
(Yes, I found a longer piece of fiberboard this time to use as a background that would fit the full length of the gun)

I have a nephew who is 8 and daughters 6 and 3. I bought a Marlin 15YN after my brother told me that his son had shot BB guns and was ready to try the real thing. My older daughter just discovered my indoor soda can BB gun range, and expressed interest in trying the Daisy Buck.

There may be time yet for them to want the youth stock put back on :)

i did more or less the same. after i had a couple of rifles and a couple of pistols, i decided i needed a shotgun, for reasons. so i bought a side by side double barrel hammerless 12 ga. a "sportsman's cleveland". in the >/< 20 years i've had it, i've shot it maybe, maybe twice. a duck gun, i think. i should sell it, make room in the cabinet. or cut off the barrels and stock, make it a pistol. :crazy:
i'm retired. what's your excuse?

Pistol version is probably legal in NC. What could possibly go wrong?

I always resisted shotguns until I bought the sub $200 12GA Maverick 88. I love it. From a hurricane/earthquake short-term SHTF prepper perspective, having some slugs, buck, and bird shot and an inexpensive shotgun isn't the worst idea.

The shotgun is a very versatile firearm and a *blast* to shoot!
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

bajajoaquin wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:58 pm Yeah, I’m only into it for about $150, and I have youth and adult stocks for it. There was a 20” barrel adult stock for sale for $100 (same price I paid for mine), but for some reason I was fixated on getting that extra two inches.

(Heh heh)
What can I say?

I hope you have a range that allows shotguns. Let us know how it goes!
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

I don’t have a range that allows shotguns, so I have to wait for the desert to cool down so I can shoot out there. In fact, I don’t really like shooting at paper targets so I don’t shoot at ranges much. I have acquired steel plates, wooden blocks, and shoot at reactive targets.

Anyway, I have also picked up another new stock. It’s the speed-load version that has a shell holder in the butt. It’s a 12-ga but I think it will work on 20-ga. If not, I’ll just put it up on eBay. Or maybe I’ll buy a 12-ga to fit it.... :)
4DBB4EF9-1519-45DF-A041-F9046B6F31B2.jpeg

I'm trying not to expand the number of calibers I have. .22, .25, .223, 9mm, 7.62.54r, and now 20-ga is enough to keep in inventory. I really want an M1A, so I'll be expanding there if I ever find a good enough deal, and I might break down and buy a 1911 some day. But mostly, I think my range of calibers is sufficient for any conceivable need, so it will serve to provide some structure around my impulse purchases.

bajajoaquin wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:30 pm I'm trying not to expand the number of calibers I have. .22, .25, .223, 9mm, 7.62.54r, and now 20-ga is enough to keep in inventory. I really want an M1A, so I'll be expanding there if I ever find a good enough deal, and I might break down and buy a 1911 some day. But mostly, I think my range of calibers is sufficient for any conceivable need, so it will serve to provide some structure around my impulse purchases.
you shoot .25acp? :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:
shhh, don't tell anyone, i have 4 pistols in .25 :whistle:

bajajoaquin wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:56 pm "shoot?" no. Somehow I just ended up with one. Until last week, I had six rounds for it in a tiny baggie. I decided that I really shouldn't have any guns without ammo, so I splurged on 50 rounds of ball for $20. Ouch. I won't be firing that a whole lot.
so, this really humongous gun that takes the fearsome .25acp cartridge, what is it? got any pics? i have a bauer .25, a frasier .25 (same pistol, different grips and name) a galesi-brescia and a PIC 25.

Yikes! That is some expensive ammo for the small caliber. If you carry it and use it, good for you! I scaled up to the high-recoil, wall-demolishing power of 32ACP when I found a Beretta 3032. I love that little pistol.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

Thanks. It's pretty useless, since I don't carry. Like I said, I can't really explain how I ended up with it! It seemed like a good idea at the time, maybe?

But I never get off my butt and sell anything (ask me about the motorcycle sitting in my home office that I'm "just about to sell" for the last five years), so it will probably sit there in the safe, and the same box of 50 rounds will sit on the shelf for roughly..... ever.

I like those little .25s! They look cool enough that it makes me wish .25 was cheap enough to shoot mine. See? There I go again. That's why I can never get rid of anything!

Well, you can send that Beretta to me and clear your conscience. I have a little Italian family waiting for a 25ACP. The Tomcat, Cougars, and Cheetahs (and the 92 and 96) family would welcome that Bobcat

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

If my safe ever gets full, I'll keep you in mind!

While I was away, my (second) new (used) stock showed up. It's in nice shape, and does hold 20-ga shells just fine. I took the buttpad off to see how it all worked, and it's a slick little setup. It all uses the hole drilled for the mounting bolt. There's a spring captured by a follower, and a plug that's a press-fit into the butt. You just load shells by pressing down on the ramp, and they fit in by friction. Holds 2 shells in the stock. I don't think I'll get to the fitting today, but should in a day or so.
NEF Speed Stock 1.jpg

All right, all right. I won't procrastinate. I'll just get on it now.....

Looks nice, and nice fit.

Like the other stock, the screws for the buttpad seem to be easily stripped, so I fixed these with a bit of toothpick and some wood glue as well. Unlike the other one, both were stripped. Oh, well. They'll be fine.

A question: any reason I should (or shouldn't) load shells in brass first or plastic first? They fit either way, but might come out a bit easier brass-end back.
NEF Speed Stock 2.jpg
NEF Speed Stock 3.jpg