New to MN, moved from NV. It's a different world...

It was a lot easier to be a liberal gun owner in Nevada...

Appreciation for the 2nd amendment crossed a lot of boundaries out there. It was pretty easy to find people to go shooting with who weren't racists/homophobes/religious zealots, and it was pretty easy and non controversial to do--hop in the truck, drive across a mountain, find a patch of open desert and go at it. Rapid fire, tannerite, do your thing. Even had the cops called once (tannerite will do that), they just kind of shrugged. Didn't even tell us to knock it off.

Not so much here. Been here a few months, and haven't taken my guns out of the cabinet. And the people who agree with me on almost every other political issue get really wide-eyed when the subject of guns comes up. I don't think I'd have many friends if they saw my closet.

My trigger finger is getting oh-so itchy. Anyone in the Twin Cities want to take me out and show me the ways? I've got some fun hardware to share...

Re: New to MN, moved from NV. It's a different world...

Entropy319, I still live in Nevada, and I can say:
I don't think I'd have many friends if they saw my closet.

Other than the gun range, I never mention guns to people I know. It has become a very polarizing issue.

In fact, I find that many issues, begin green, eating red meat, guns ... have all become polarizing issues.

Kind of a shame.

Other than your complaint, I love the Twin Cities area. Winters are rough, but the proximity to the 10,000 lakes is a beautiful thing.

You must live in the metro area. Most of the land in MN is in use, not sitting vacant. There are ranges and clubs and during hunting season, there are thousands of acres of state land for hunting. I live in a rural city (under 1000 population) and based on the number of hunting dogs and duck boats, about 1/3 of the houses have guns. We don't talk about them much, but we have them. We also don't spend a lot of time talking about hammers, but most of our houses have a few.
It is a different world here. We have free running water and trees. The hunting is close range and frequently with shotguns.
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
- Ronald Reagan

Mosquito season is about to start. You can use low base 8 shot in a 12 gauge with good results. Deet is your friend. 15000 lakes, all good for breeding super mosquitos. But it's only 4 months until the possible snow season. Yes, it is a real thing.
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
- Ronald Reagan

Welcome to MN. Don’t be so quick to criticize this great place and its people. There are those of us with liberal beliefs and plenty of guns living here. I don’t shoot much these days due to kids’ activities most days, but when I did I visited mostly local Mpls indoor ranges. If you want outdoors and close to metro, there is Horse & Hunt south of the metro and Beaverbrook on the northside. Although both are private, I prefer Beaverbrook. Used to be $75 for an annual membership and the place is very laid back and welcoming.

As for the language camp subthread, two of mine attended that Spanish Immersion camp a few years back. Was a great experience. Heed the mosquito repellant advice though.
Mark