Greetings from Louisiana

I have had my eye on this group (casually) for some time. Like many of you, I find myself a man apart from the "conventional" political spectrum. At 62 years of age, I have been shooting and hunting, on and off, for half a century. God knows why I term it like that, as it makes me feel ANCIENT! In any event, I grew up very conservative, but always had what my Mom called an extra WHY chromosome. All of these unanswered questions led to first, a rejection of religion in favor of God in my late teens and second, a "leftening" of my thinking while studying anthropology and history in college. In reality, I am pretty much in what the idiot Mike Huck-a-Buck once called "the mushy middle."

When it comes to my lifelong passion for guns, I find myself often at odds with my liberal friends, although they are more receptive to guns than my conservative friends are to, say, single payer health care. I usually join a shooting club when I move - and I have lived in 12 states-, but avoid conversations that veer into the political. Let's face it, hard-core conservative NRA members will have no truck with anyone who does not think EXACTLY like them where guns are concerned. I will admit that I am conflicted on some proposed gun laws, but have watched the NRA go from a sportsman's organization to one that caters to what I can only call "gun fetishists." Guns have now become almost Inviolable objects of worship (Clinging to guns and religion?). While I have owned a couple of AR15s, they quickly bored me, and I saw things like 100 round drums as not only just crazy, but wasteful. I guess that is the conservationist/environmentalist in me. So my interests run more into the vintage. All of my sporting rifles and shotguns were made in 1957: the year I was born. I collect and shoot Swedish rolling block rifles because they are cool. And if the shit hits the fan, I have a Mini 14 and 12 gauge riot gun to see me to wherever fate should take me.

There seem to be no LGC chapters in Louisiana, but we will be retiring to my home state of Arkansas soon, and there is one in Little Rock. But I would love to connect with other "orphans" in my area (baton Rouge) to shoot and socialize with. Maybe I should say shoot with and socialize with so nobody gets alarmed!
Cheers!
David

Re: Greetings from Louisiana

Welcome from Lexington KY
All religions united with government are more or less inimical to liberty. All, separated from government, are compatible with liberty.-Henry Clay
Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms.—Aristotle

rollingblockguy wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:16 pmmy interests run more into the vintage. .... because they are cool.
i have a little collection, from a repro 1859 sharps to an ar15, and right now my favorites are the 73 trapdoor and the 98 krag. the older hardware is just more interesting to me for some reason. the ar15 i built seems mundane, even soulless by comparison.
i'm retired. what's your excuse?

Howdy David,
Glad to know ya! It was a nice intro that gives one a genuine feeling of meeting you.

I have to ask, just how many guns do you have of that particular year of your birth? Not an easy thing to pull off really, especially before the advent of Gunbroker.

Anywho... :welcome:
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

Howdy!

I never could get my 8x58 roller to shoot as well as I wanted. Helped one friend build a chopped-up old Dane in to a 45-70 target gun and have been helping another bridge the small but sometimes uncertain gap between 45-70 components and the 11.7 Danish chamber of his lovely original rifle.

I also have had a couple of No 2 Remingtons, one I converted from 32 rimfire to 32 S&W and one I’m still pondering what it will become, as it needs a reline badly.

I like other old junk too.

Marlene wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:15 am Howdy!

I never could get my 8x58 roller to shoot as well as I wanted. Helped one friend build a chopped-up old Dane in to a 45-70 target gun and have been helping another bridge the small but sometimes uncertain gap between 45-70 components and the 11.7 Danish chamber of his lovely original rifle.

I also have had a couple of No 2 Remingtons, one I converted from 32 rimfire to 32 S&W and one I’m still pondering what it will become, as it needs a reline badly.

I like other old junk too.
The 8x58R takes some work, but The Dutchman one others provide guidance on the Swedish forum on Gunboards. I have owned several Danes and think they are the prettiest military rollers ever built. The Number 2 Remmies are sweet little rifles.

Bisbee wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 3:46 am Howdy David,
Glad to know ya! It was a nice intro that gives one a genuine feeling of meeting you.

I have to ask, just how many guns do you have of that particular year of your birth? Not an easy thing to pull off really, especially before the advent of Gunbroker.

Anywho... :welcome:
Thanks. Just two rifles, two shotguns and Colt Woodsman from '57. With GunBroker, I just search 1957!

lurker wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:25 am
rollingblockguy wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:16 pmmy interests run more into the vintage. .... because they are cool.
i have a little collection, from a repro 1859 sharps to an ar15, and right now my favorites are the 73 trapdoor and the 98 krag. the older hardware is just more interesting to me for some reason. the ar15 i built seems mundane, even soulless by comparison.
Plastic and alloys are boring and soulless. I have a Stevens 520-30 pump that just oozes strength, style and John Browning's genius.

lurker wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:58 am
rollingblockguy wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:52 am the prettiest military rollers ever built.
got pics to back up this assertion?
None handy, but having handled hundreds of military rollers, and owned dozens, I have a pretty good feel for the aesthetics of these rifles. But when I laid a Dane beside a Swede, Argentine (Rem.), and US military models, the Dane just looked smoother. YMMV.