Greetings from SoCal!

Hello, everyone! New member from Southern CA, an hour or so out of Los Angeles.

A little about me: I didn't grow up around guns, never even handled one until a couple of years ago, but was always intrigued by the mechanical/science-y aspects. Even kept that mostly quiet among my left-leaning social groups, but the alarming rise of hate-speech and hate-acts post-2016 election made me think I needed to change my "intrigue" into "getting serious about firearm knowledge and self-defense." I acquired a 4" .357 GP100--love me those revolvers--and have been working on turning my theoretical book-knowledge into practical skill. Fortunately, there are a couple of ranges in my area, so I've been able to familiarize myself with the basics. I still keep my new hobby quiet among my friends and peers, and so I was surprised and happy to find this group.

Looking forward to learning from the group and meeting new folks.

Re: Greetings from SoCal!

:welcome:

Welcome! There's no need to hide your interest here. In fact, why don't you head over to the Gun Pron thread and show us a picture of your gun? I'd love to see it!
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=11935

There's a very active California contingent here, so you might even find someone to go shooting with sometime. Imagine that: a liberal who you can not only talk about guns with, but who you can actually shot with!
106+ recreational uses of firearms
1 defensive use
0 people injured
0 people killed

There are some great folks here. I think there is a sub-chapter group in So Cal. Welcome from Lexington KY
All religions united with government are more or less inimical to liberty. All, separated from government, are compatible with liberty.-Henry Clay
Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms.—Aristotle

Thanks for the welcome, Eris, Hiker, and lurker!

Eris, I don't have a picture handy, but I'll see about getting one posted in the thread you linked. I rather like my GP100--the local gun shop had a stainless one and this blued one, and I just felt the blued model speaking to me. I only later learned that blued finishes can mean more maintenance (I thought I did my research, but missed that part), but I don't mind. I actually find gun cleaning kind of relaxing, a time I can be alone and focused on just that task.

Eris wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:07 pm :welcome:

Welcome! There's no need to hide your interest here. In fact, why don't you head over to the Gun Pron thread and show us a picture of your gun? I'd love to see it!
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=11935

There's a very active California contingent here, so you might even find someone to go shooting with sometime. Imagine that: a liberal who you can not only talk about guns with, but who you can actually shot with!

What's "pron", Eris? :lol: :mrgreen: :clap:

Hi enzuigiri! From NJ.
My son's in Irvine, not far from you.

I have a version of the 4.2" GP100 in .357, the 7 round "Standard 1771" model. Here's the retailer's image of it:

"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

YankeeTarheel, that is a great-looking gun. I remember it came out just after I got mine, and I was wishing I had waited...until I heard reports of widespread problems. I hope your experience has been trouble-free, a 7-shot GP100 sounds like a dream. I've got friends in Irvine, I always like visiting. Maybe even better now that the GOP has lost Orange County, we'll see.

bigbass4me, thanks for the welcome!

Marlene, thanks for the welcome, and the invite. I've been to Morro Bay once, really enjoyed it. Would welcome the opportunity to meet some folks in person.

enzuigiri wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:31 am YankeeTarheel, that is a great-looking gun. I remember it came out just after I got mine, and I was wishing I had waited...until I heard reports of widespread problems. I hope your experience has been trouble-free, a 7-shot GP100 sounds like a dream. I've got friends in Irvine, I always like visiting. Maybe even better now that the GOP has lost Orange County, we'll see.

bigbass4me, thanks for the welcome!

Marlene, thanks for the welcome, and the invite. I've been to Morro Bay once, really enjoyed it. Would welcome the opportunity to meet some folks in person.
Haven't had a problem yet, but I haven't put that many rounds through it. Still, it's well-made, better fit and finish than Rugers are reputed to have, and the mechanism is smooth, plus the rubber and wood combo gives it a good feel. Not really a wheel-gun guy, but if they ever outlaw semis, I'll still have it. (and one NJ state senator tried, but was ignored by the Dem leadership of the NJ Senate).
YT
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

I’m pretty sure that Eris meant Gun Prawn 🍤 as in Glock Lobster. (Spellchecker exists now and is free to use!)
Anyeay, I’m glad you found us. Are you big into WWF or just 日本人? Where do you usually practice? Uh, I meant target practice... not wrestling. I can join you in target practice sometime but my Mom says not to roughhouse anymore. -I bruise easily.

That’s cool. I’ve never, ever seen a blued Ruger revolver. I guess they might rust easier than stainless but luckily we are far enough away from the ocean and looks always trumps practicality for those of us who are confident. I like to use plenty of gun oil to wipe them down after I’m finish pawing it or in between westerns. Or do as Marlene does: use ATF. Because the modifying additives makes the bullets travel faster or something. -Don’t ask me. She’s the wheel-gun (and motorcycle) expert. 🤷🏻‍♂️
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

bisbee said:

my Mom says not to roughhouse anymore. -I bruise easily
And that sums up why I left the Marine Corps - they play too rough and someone is always getting hurt. Besides which, a career in mathematics and the USMC were slightly incompatible.

From the Free State of Nevada. I did own a 6 shot GP100 and it handled the full power .357s very well. I got on a S&W kick and traded the GP100 for a S&W 686+. I would say the two firearms are very similar, but I must give the Ruger the edge on the double action trigger. I prefer the Smith's single action, but the Ruger double action was much cleaner.

I am remedying that with a nice trigger job on my 686+ at MK3 Gunsmiths in Las Vegas (I pick up my revolver in a few days.)

Bisbee wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:11 am I’m pretty sure that Eris meant Gun Prawn 🍤 as in Glock Lobster. (Spellchecker exists now and is free to use!)
Of course, but I couldn't pass up a chance to kid her a little! :mrgreen:

Besides, I like seafood and that's my problem. I see food...and eat it! :shock:

YankeeTarheel wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:08 am
Bisbee wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:11 am I’m pretty sure that Eris meant Gun Prawn 🍤 as in Glock Lobster. (Spellchecker exists now and is free to use!)
Of course, but I couldn't pass up a chance to kid her a little! :mrgreen:

Besides, I like seafood and that's my problem. I see food...and eat it! :shock:
Huh. In the parts of the Internet where I normally hang out (fark.com) "pron" is the normal, jokeish spelling.
106+ recreational uses of firearms
1 defensive use
0 people injured
0 people killed

Uh-oh... Eris is a fark-net user. I hear that’s only one step away from dressing in red capes and becoming a Sith.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

Thanks for the welcome, everyone. I should mention that I have picked up a few other guns, the GP100 is just my first (and still favorite). The others I have, and my thinking behind them--
LCR .327--I liked the big revolver, maybe a little one would be fun too.
Beretta PX4 Storm--Better get familiar with semi-autos, too, and now that I know how to shoot DA...
M&P Shield--Should probably get a concealable semi-auto now that Newsom is gov. (I live in a county where CCW is attainable, might start on that process)

YankeeTarheel, glad you haven't had a problem with your GP100. I share your pain living in a gun-unfriendly state.

Bisbee--I used to follow both American and Japanese pro wrestling, and I am Japanese too (well, Okinawan--my grandparents came over to Hawaii in the early 1900's.) My username actually comes from the Pro Wrestling video game on the old NES--I won a lot of matches and irritated my friends by spamming the enzuigiri in that game. I'll get a picture of my Ruger posted.

max129, I actually went into my LGS looking to buy a 686, that's such a nice gun. I did like the trigger on the Ruger better, plus the blue finish, but I don't think I would have gone wrong with the 686.

rollingblockguy, I confess that I mostly shoot .38 Special. The .357s I shot beat me up good (but were lots of fun).