Re: hello everyone

What are these guys hoping to achieve by joining this forum?
All religions united with government are more or less inimical to liberty. All, separated from government, are compatible with liberty.-Henry Clay
Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms.—Aristotle

I think they get paid to do it. I heard an article on NPR about something similar, when they noticed some accounts posted for exactly a calendar month, like for a pay check.

"Ban all you want. We'll make more."

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

I saw this guy's post last night and banned him. Hanoi, Vietnam IP address, and the same username has been on a spree creating accounts on forums of every different kind the past few days (google him). Sounds like a foreign troll factory setting up new accounts, to me.
106+ recreational uses of firearms
1 defensive use
0 people injured
0 people killed

There are also such things as zombie accounts that are started by a bot and kept alive via innocuously generic posts (once in a blue moon) to be activated in a single use attack so as to appear like a sudden and huge consensus has formed around an issue. More effective strategy on larger social media forums, less so in online communities where people actually know each other. But important for all moderators to know this and possibly cull inactive accounts regularly to bury such zombies.
🧟‍♂️
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

the nature of the board being what it is, it attracts a certain amount of undesireables, who, like any other noisome thing, have to be flushed now and then.

some of us (well, me anyway) like to make sport of hunting them down and making fun of them, sort of like a pointer dog for hunting sh1tbirds, or a cat playing with a doomed mouse. pests and vermin, all of them. i enjoy the thrill of the chase, then idly toying with them, even after they've departed this vale of tears. might as well get some fun out of the useless creatures.

late at night when things get slow and quiet is the best time to hunt them. early in the morning works too, but occasionally a zealous moderator will beat me to them and ban them before i can have my way with them. they are usually easily recognized by their choice of irrelevant topics, uninformative generic posts, impersonal machine-generated handles, and sometimes their poor mastery of the english language, though none of these alone is absolute proof of their identity. basically the lack of creativity and imagination gives them away, but beware of the false positive.

lately, i'm getting some competition. subrosa shows real promise, and there are a couple of others who i'm proud to say i helped get their start. it's a tough job and the rewards are intangible, but the world is a better place for it.
i'm retired. what's your excuse?

I'm glad Lurker didn't get his talons around Mr. "Welcome To The Glub". That would have been a disaster to lose our unusual mascot.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

Bisbee wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:37 pm I'm glad Lurker didn't get his talons around Mr. "Welcome To The Glub". That would have been a disaster to lose our unusual mascot.
see post #6 in that thread. still not sure about that one.
and two of the new members last night, suspicious because of their handles and skimpy profiles(one of them sells cars in miami), they haven't posted yet but i'm watching and waiting..

...Noooooo! Not Glub! He's Harmlessssss!

let's consider, for a moment, our latest member, "LasseOstera". no posts yet, so not clear why he (or she) is here. maybe not a troll or spammer. what there is, is a profile in which he describes himself as a locksmith and garage door repairman, and a website link which is, in fact, for a locksmith and garage door repair service - in arizona. whoever paid for that website needs to review it, the english is awkward in spots, just enough for me to have doubts. spider sense all a-tingle, but still nothing definite, could be perfectly legit individual interested in liberalism and guns. but you're on my radar, mr. LasseOstera, and i'd bet i'm not the only one who's noticed.

lurker wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 2:29 pm let's consider, for a moment, our latest member, "LasseOstera". no posts yet, so not clear why he (or she) is here. maybe not a troll or spammer. what there is, is a profile in which he describes himself as a locksmith and garage door repairman, and a website link which is, in fact, for a locksmith and garage door repair service - in arizona. whoever paid for that website needs to review it, the english is awkward in spots, just enough for me to have doubts. spider sense all a-tingle, but still nothing definite, could be perfectly legit individual interested in liberalism and guns. but you're on my radar, mr. LasseOstera, and i'd bet i'm not the only one who's noticed.
A dozen noobs all with the same AZ locksmith website, what are the odds the whole staff joined in the last two days?
Cynistoicureanism: The world view best expressed by "I can't trust 'em any farther then I can throw 'em, There's nothing I can do about it anyway, So let's have a drink".

HuckleberryFun wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 6:58 pm You guys are as suspicious and cynical as I am. I love you guys.
That makes me suspicious. How do I know you're not just telling us what we want to hear? :shifty:
Cynistoicureanism: The world view best expressed by "I can't trust 'em any farther then I can throw 'em, There's nothing I can do about it anyway, So let's have a drink".