Hi, I'm new here.

Howdy. My name is doggo, and I'm a liberal.

I live in the Chicago metro area. I grew up, mostly, on the North Side of Chicago in the Lincoln Square neighborhood. When I was very young we lived in Oakland, CA for a a few years.

As for gun ownership, I grew up in Chicago, which was not very gun friendly. Also, my family, being urban-based, did not engage in hunting (or fishing). I shot a gun here and there, and at boy scout camp, but guns were not part of my life until my 40s. My girlfriend was murdered, and in the post trauma I experienced a period of hyper-vigilance, and figuring if she could be killed out of the blue, I could too (There were also revenge fantasies against her killer, which I never came close to acting upon). I decided to get a gun and learn how to shoot. I got a Beretta 92fs (I'm on my second, the first being a used service pistol that was pretty beat up.) Just this year I purchased a Maverick 88 12 ga. shotgun, the 8 round 20" model.

The first thing I learned about guns upon using the Beretta was how short the useful range of pistols is. That was surprising.

I don't expect to acquire more than the two guns I own, since I don't have a need, living in a relatively safe area, and not being a hunter. The only use I have for my weapons is shooting at the range. And I mostly own my weapons for the extremely unlikely event that there is some drastic civil unrest or civil war. Yes, I know, rifles are best for such situations. Maybe some day I'll get a Mini-14, or maybe I'll pick up a rifle from my fallen enemy if it comes to that.

In general, I find guns fascinating as a finely engineered and machined object, like guys do. (I love the Forgotten Weapons YouTube channel.)
Last edited by doggo on Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Hi, I'm new here.

Regardless of the stupidity, weed and firearm purchases are still illegal and this is a public forum. I'd suggest editing your post and being cautious about that kind of thing.
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

i'm guessing here. my guess is that huck is saying that if you're a liberal at all, you tend to favor or at least conceptually tolerate the idea of communism. in my case, for example, i view communism as an unattainable ideal, arguably desirable but not realistic nor practical. contrarily, some might take "leans commie" to mean that you think communism is both desirable and attainable, hence worth promoting.
i'm retired. what's your excuse?

Welcome from Texas. I do appreciate your candor, but TMI for a gun forum (I see edit has occurred). I lived a hedonistic life style for many years so can appreciate your original comments - in my era it was sex, drugs and Rock n' Roll. As Willy Nelson said, "Had I known I was gonna live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself!!" :laugh:

Not 100% sure, but believe Huck was pulling your chain. :D
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

shinzen wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:22 pm Regardless of the stupidity, weed and firearm purchases are still illegal and this is a public forum. I'd suggest editing your post and being cautious about that kind of thing.
Wow. As far as I know, my plain vanilla, run of the mill, firearms are legal to buy and own in most of the country. Possession of less than 10 grams has been decriminalized in Illinois, and my town. I've never been convicted of a crime, much less, arrested. And I would never advocate gun shops that are also dispensaries. But okay, edited.

We range from “centrists” to as far left as you can figure. I’m socially anarchist and fiscally communist myself.

Plenty of political fights to be had here, but nearly none of the left-sectarian purity type.

For example: Lurker and I have a date to fight to the death, right after we have finished fighting nazis together.

lurker wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:15 am i'm guessing here. my guess is that huck is saying that if you're a liberal at all, you tend to favor or at least conceptually tolerate the idea of communism. in my case, for example, i view communism as an unattainable ideal, arguably desirable but not realistic nor practical. contrarily, some might take "leans commie" to mean that you think communism is both desirable and attainable, hence worth promoting.
"i view communism as an unattainable ideal, arguably desirable but not realistic nor practical." Well, there you have it. Thanks lurker.

doggo wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:21 am
shinzen wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:22 pm Regardless of the stupidity, weed and firearm purchases are still illegal and this is a public forum. I'd suggest editing your post and being cautious about that kind of thing.
Wow. As far as I know, my plain vanilla, run of the mill, firearms are legal to buy and own in most of the country. Possession of less than 10 grams has been decriminalized in Illinois, and my town. I've never been convicted of a crime, much less, arrested. And I would never advocate gun shops that are also dispensaries. But okay, edited.
Yeah, you can view the ATF form 4473 to see the .fed take on the issue. I suspect that sometime in the next few years it may change, but for now, it is what it is.
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

:welcome:
Dang, Doggo. That is some life experiences! Sorry I arrived late to this party and didn’t read the unedited intro. But what I did read did tug at my heartstrings. I’m very sorry for your loss.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi