Hello from Chicago!

Hi All!

So excited to have found like-minded people on this forum and the club in general - honestly it gives me hope that there is still a sensible middle ground in our great country. After bouncing around the world a lot in my early years I have settled down in Chicago (for now :lol: )

How I Came to Join the LGC
I have always been interested in guns and hunting but never bought one and was a bit scared/apprehensive about getting one or even going to the range and trying it. Well, after being harassed and attacked by a deplorable in the middle of the road at a red light I knew that I need to be ready for anything that can happen in the future - I was able to get out of that situation and handle myself but I refused to take that risk in the future. I finally "pulled the trigger" and went to a shooting range January of this year. I loved it - it was everything I thought it was - fun, a bit of a rush, a little scary, and downright cool. After lots of conversations and debates, I convinced my partner that having a gun for home security was the correct decision to make and that owning a gun did not make you a bad person.

Not long after - the horrible events at Parkland happened. I can't put into words how that felt - but I was at an impasse - I knew I had wanted to purchase a gun I had saved the money, did my research, learned the basics, etc... but there was an underlying feeling of guilt. I did not want to be on the wrong side of history, kids lost their lives and the reactionary attitudes of those on the extreme ends of the political spectrum were pulling our country apart. I had this knot at the pit of my stomach that just wanted to justify my views; I believe in sensible gun laws but am against diving off the deep end with the nuts at the NRA. There had to be a middle ground, and there is the LGC was something I stumbled upon online while searching alternatives to the NRA. I fell in love with this idea. I overcame the guilt and bought my first gun, an HK VP9. Fast forward 9 months and I just bought my first shotgun, a Maverick 88 and am planning on going hunting for the first time this upcoming spring.

I look forward to many great conversations and the chance to meet some of you in person!

Re: Hello from Chicago!

Hi! Chicago's a great place!
My first gun is a VP9 as well. Had it almost 2 years now. There are generally very few criticisms of it other than price and the cost of magazines. Not everyone likes striker-fired plastic-bodied guns, but most agree it's one of the very best of that breed, reliable and accurate.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

lurker wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:37 pm :welcome:
obviously, you sanity is dubious. you've travelled the world, and settled in... chicago? :wtf:
As opposed to Edens like Stockton, Sheboygan, East St. Louis, Oswego, and Scranton? Unbelievable! :yucky:
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

lurker wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:37 pm :welcome:
obviously, you sanity is dubious. you've travelled the world, and settled in... chicago? :wtf:
Hahahahaha well that's kinda where work took me. I will say, every parking ticket pushes me to move. Only thing worse than the ridiculous laws is the parking situation!

YankeeTarheel wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:30 pm Hi! Chicago's a great place!
My first gun is a VP9 as well. Had it almost 2 years now. There are generally very few criticisms of it other than price and the cost of magazines. Not everyone likes striker-fired plastic-bodied guns, but most agree it's one of the very best of that breed, reliable and accurate.
Im loving Chicago so far (aside from a few things, like parking and the cold :thumbdown: ), as far as the vp9 goes, I totally made the right choice; the general ergonomics were the biggest factor for me, I was pressed between a couple glocks and sigs but when I held it, it fit like a glove and shot great. It is on the pricier end of the spectrum but I absolutely love it regardless

Welcome from Lexington KY
All religions united with government are more or less inimical to liberty. All, separated from government, are compatible with liberty.-Henry Clay
Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms.—Aristotle

YankeeTarheel wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:30 pm Have you tried Lou Minalti's or Giordano's "deep dish pizza"?
As a New Jerseyan, I can assure you it ain't pizza, but it's heavenly good! :love:
Chicago pizza "ain't pizza"? BURN THE BLASPHEMER!
106+ recreational uses of firearms
1 defensive use
0 people injured
0 people killed

Eris wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:31 pm
YankeeTarheel wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:30 pm Have you tried Lou Minalti's or Giordano's "deep dish pizza"?
As a New Jerseyan, I can assure you it ain't pizza, but it's heavenly good! :love:
Chicago pizza "ain't pizza"? BURN THE BLASPHEMER!
I've had Uno's. After a proper NY/NJ pizza you'd throw rocks at Uno's.

But when the Gods on Mount Olympus get tired of ambrosia, they send out for Lou Malnati's or Giordano's awesome tomato pie!

Hiker wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:49 pm Welcome from Lexington KY
Thank You! I used to live in Louisville, KY has a special place in my heart! Fun story, my first hat when we moved to the United States was this blue and white trucker style hat that said "Kentuckian by birth, wildcat by the grace of God" been a wildcat supporter since then (1995)

Oh yeah plenty of times, it's heavy stuff but delicious. I can assure you it's definitely a pizza :P and much better than that thin style stuff found on the east coast

Ahmed wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:01 pm
Oh yeah plenty of times, it's heavy stuff but delicious. I can assure you it's definitely a pizza :P and much better than that thin style stuff found on the east coast
You have to eat it with a knife&fork--that ain't pizza, delish as it is! And the Chicago thin pizza... :thumbsdown:

Comparing that wonderful Chicago Tomato Pie to proper neopolitan pizza, is like comparing fabulous Peking Duck, to perfect, tangy North Carolina Barbecue.
It just makes no sense.

YankeeTarheel wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:47 pm
You have to eat it with a knife&fork--that ain't pizza, delish as it is! And the Chicago thin pizza... :thumbsdown:

Comparing that wonderful Chicago Tomato Pie to proper neopolitan pizza, is like comparing fabulous Peking Duck, to perfect, tangy North Carolina Barbecue.
It just makes no sense.
:roflmao: I'll tell you what, next time you are in Chicago let me know I'll treat you to the best pizza in the city and we'll see if it changes your mind! No deep dish

Ahmed wrote:
wpkato wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:52 pm Hello from a fellow Chicagoan! Welcome!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Hello neighbor! We should link up and go shooting! I'm on the north side :)
Sweet, nearby on near west side (Humboldt/Wicker Park/Bucktown). Would love to go out to the range!

wpkato wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:24 pm
Ahmed wrote:
wpkato wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:52 pm Hello from a fellow Chicagoan! Welcome!

Hello neighbor! We should link up and go shooting! I'm on the north side :)
Sweet, nearby on near west side (Humboldt/Wicker Park/Bucktown). Would love to go out to the range!

Nice! I used to live in Humboldt! What range do you usually go to?

Ahmed wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:34 pm
YankeeTarheel wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:47 pm

It just makes no sense.
:roflmao: I'll tell you what, next time you are in Chicago let me know I'll treat you to the best pizza in the city and we'll see if it changes your mind! No deep dish
Good luck with that! BTW, I LOVE Chicago. When I met my wife, she was living there and I just had a blast going to see her! (Ironically, she's not fond of it). I took my son there on his Junior Year Spring Break College tour to visit U-Chicago and Northwestern. We drove down Lakeshore Dr on a sunny morning and the city was golden and HE fell in love with it--ended up going to NU and wants to move back there...from Irvine, CA! And I have eaten in more great restaurants in Chi-town and Evanston!

But regular, Neopolitan pizza? It's gonna take something special to convince me, Ahmed! (when I had Uno's it just plain SUCKED!)