Re: Hi from Massachusetts

If you like competing, you should also consider steel shooting. Steel Challenge under USPSA has a rimfire categories (open and limited for both pistols and rifles). Many local clubs have outlaw competitions which are open to non-members (at least that is the case here in PA). It's very accessible (beginners welcome), low key, and a ton of fun. I myself like precision shooting, which I do indoors, but I find that fast shooting (outdoors) nicely complements the experience.

:welcome:

Late to the party with my pitiful, stock Ruger 10/22.

Rimfire is a trap. 22LR is a gateway caliber. Lucky for you, the ammo is cheap.

Welcome to one of the nicest gun forums on the internet!
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

OK so I have an update. I went out to the range with an experienced shooter to help me sight in and shoot my 870 for the first time, for the slug barrel. I was able to shoot it OK, but had been having some trouble loading the second shell from the magazine with the snap caps I bought. Turns out that the gun has some defect, as the person helping me also could not get the second shell to load! :cry: She suggested I take it back to Cabelas, which we did straight away. Well I was definitely in luck because not only was the manager willing to take back the defective gun rather than sending it out for repair (which would have caused me to miss my hunt) but there was another one in stock in the store! :thumbup: So now I have my new replacement sitting in my gun cabinet.

Other than being defective in that one aspect, the first gun shot pretty well. I was a little intimidated to shoot a new gun for the first time but the person helping me was super patient and helpful, and spent about an hour and a half with me, on her own time on a beautiful day when she could have been doing something else. Sporting people are the best!
"...just smash your piano, and invoke the glory-beaming banjo!" ~Mark Twain

K9s wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:44 pm Did you start out with slugs? Are you ready for the hunt?
I did start with slugs because the hunt is coming up. I was able to hit the target at 50yds but not in the center, but left about half way after I figured out my sight picture. Hopefully will be ready for the hunt after spending some major $$ on ammo lol! I haven't tried shot shells yet but want to keep my focus on this hunt for now, at least into December. Then I"m going to switch to trap.
"...just smash your piano, and invoke the glory-beaming banjo!" ~Mark Twain