Hello from Washington State!

Hello all,

I'm a new member from the great state of Washington. I've been a strong liberal my whole life -- I'm a full-on bleeding heart, both fiscal and social. I'm passionate about progressive causes.

I'm glad I've found you all, because I struggle with my feelings about guns a lot. Over the years, I've run the gamut from "All guns should be banned" to "It's a right, and we should defend it", and everything in between. To this very day, I'm still not sure I know EXACTLY how I feel about gun ownership and use. Right now, if you really had to pin me down, I'd say: Guns are a necessary evil in a mixed up world, so you might as well have one and learn how to use it. I hope that doesn't sound pretentious, because I really don't mean it to be.

I currently own four handguns and one long gun (a Ruger 10/22, so fun for plinking. Who doesn't have a 10/22???). I don't yet carry, but I do have a concealed pistol license, so I can do so legally. I just have to wrap my head around whether it's right for me, and whether I could actually, really pull that trigger if I needed to.

I look forward to meeting you all and getting more involved in the community here.

All the best!

Re: Hello from Washington State!

Welcome aboard! For someone "not sure I know exactly how I feel about gun ownership and use", sounds like you're on the way to a nice collection! :w00t:

10/22s and .22 pistols are a lot of fun, shooting, customizing and general fun, there's' a ton of aftermarket parts to "tweak" your rifle out...ya might not recognize it when you're done!
Having a CCW license is a good thing...better to have it and not need (or to use at your discretion), it gives you that option.
Those who make peaceful revolution impossible, make violent revolution inevitable.

Re: Hello from Washington State!

hokeysmoke said

I struggle with my feelings about guns a lot. ... but I do have a concealed pistol license
[Forgive my editorial contraction ;-]

It sounds like you are in the right place to me. I would gently suggest that most of the harm attributed to 'firearms' is really a very general violent strain in the United States. In Japan for example, kitchen knives over six inches in length (15 cm) require a permit.

I have found a large number of intelligent people on this forum who can discuss firearms without being crazy or inferring violence.

Welcome from The Free State of Nevada. :welcome:
Last edited by max129 on Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.