Re: Hi from Massachusetts

GoldenRetrieversRule wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:46 pm lol the comments! Yes, we are looking at CZ Ultra Lux bolt action. I haven't shot much and these are our first firearms. But the bolt actions that I have shot I really prefer to the semi auto, and I want to have the option to shoot with an iron sight. Someone at our club recommended we look at CZ! Any thoughts on the extra long barrel?
My Ultra Lux with companions! I love the 28" barrel length and highly recommend it. Given the right distance it will outshoot a rifle with glass.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.
Attachments
IMG_6380.JPG

sikacz wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:10 pm
GoldenRetrieversRule wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:46 pm lol the comments! Yes, we are looking at CZ Ultra Lux bolt action. I haven't shot much and these are our first firearms. But the bolt actions that I have shot I really prefer to the semi auto, and I want to have the option to shoot with an iron sight. Someone at our club recommended we look at CZ! Any thoughts on the extra long barrel?
My Ultra Lux with companions! I love the 28" barrel length and highly recommend it. Given the right distance it will outshoot a rifle with glass.
:love:

The stock on that Garand... oh, my heart!
"I am not a number, I am a free man!" - Number Six

You will love the Ultra Lux. It’s quiet and accurate. The dropped comb of the stock makes it really easy to pick up the sight picture. The bolt may be a little stiff at first but it will smooth out.

IMO, CZ rifles offer great value for a reasonable cost. I have a jones for a 455 Scout. Just because.

Pics when you can.

Bucolic wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:52 am IMO, the only downside of the CZ rimfire rifles is that their magazines are expensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
True, they are. I thought about getting a spare or two, but so far I've been content with my original 10 round one. I've thought about buying a five round and a single just for fun. Perhaps later, I seem to find other purchases have priority. :whistle:

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

OK OK I'm convinced, we'll get the CZ Ultra Lux haha! So what kind of bench rest setup should we get? (bag and that front thingy) They guys at the club had a rear leather bag and a front rest on legs but I have no idea what they are called or where to get them. Not looking to spend big $$$, but I want something that will last
"...just smash your piano, and invoke the glory-beaming banjo!" ~Mark Twain

GoldenRetrieversRule wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:12 pm OK OK I'm convinced, we'll get the CZ Ultra Lux haha! So what kind of bench rest setup should we get? (bag and that front thingy) They guys at the club had a rear leather bag and a front rest on legs but I have no idea what they are called or where to get them. Not looking to spend big $$$, but I want something that will last
Bags are cheap like in the picture. Some even use their range bag. Get the rifle first and ponder stuff later.

GoldenRetrieversRule wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:38 pm The rifle's going to take a little longer because my husband is going out of town for a couple weeks. Meanwhile, we can contemplate STUFF!
There's a couple items you could order in advance; a cleaning rod and a guide to clean through the breech side. I'll check the ones I have. The rod needs to be much longer than one first thinks and don't get the .22lr one. It's too thick to clear the mechanism in the receiver. A rod for .17 to .20 should work. I'll check. Then of course you can start buying ammo.

Hi from Massachusetts

I think you are referring to a bipod. You can get an inexpensive one to start. The ultra Lux has sling studs so you should get one for stud mount and not a rail mount. A bipod and a rear bag will get you going.

You can get them at a gun store or on line. Even amazon has a selection. I like the Potektor bags but they ate a bit expensive. Don’t buy a bench rest yet
Shoot the rifle unsupported, work on technique, proper sight picture, and trigger discipline. Establish good fundamentals. Get help from your club members.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bucolic wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:47 pm Shoot the rifle unsupported,
This!

It's weird to me to go to the range and see most of the rifle shooters using some sort of support, many at both ends of the rifle. If you're testing ammo for accuracy, obviously it's necessary to use the best rest you can, but I think many people are addicted to it.

I find it weird to do recreational shooting when hunkered over a bench and a rest, probably because I grew up shooting at an informal range, that we had to walk a bit to get to. We mostly shot either kneeling or standing. Prone was too dirty unless we brought a heavy canvas tarp, which was inconvenient to carry. I never found the sitting position comfortable, for some reason. Maybe my butt is too bony! I just learned about the "rice paddy prone" position here a year or so ago (CDFingers mentioned it, I think), and I practiced it a few times in my garage with my air rifles. I forgot I'm not supposed to fold my leg up that severely after my hip replacement! It didn't dislocate, so I guess I can get away with it, but while it's a cool shooting position, maybe I shouldn't push my luck. :laugh:

Of course, the only time I went hunting, we used bipods, but that was for pronghorns in Wyoming, where 200 yards is a close shot. I certainly couldn't hit anything at 300 yards without some kind of support, and there are NO trees there to lean against!

Another accessory you can get is a sling. They're not just for carrying the rifle. With the right sling, you can wrap you arm through the sling so that it stabilizes your stance. I never really got the hang of it, but more competent shooters say it works. TheViking posted some photos of this system a while back.
IMR4227: Zero to 900 in 0.001 seconds

I'm only killing paper and my self-esteem.

I do a lot of supported shooting on bipod, bags, or a rest. Why? As I get older, my stability has declined. I don’t hunt. I don’t plan any armed insurrection. My off-hand skills are good enough for dealing with varmints.

Having a significant OCD streak, I really enjoy optimizing my rifles, shooting tiny little groups, and testing ammo.

I do think that shooting from bags or a bipod is good, even for a new shooter. It removes a lot of distractions, allowing one to isolate trigger pull, sighting, etc. Obviously, one should work on shooting from other positions.

Good advice! As we do target archery, I'm familiar with shooting something unsupported, so what you guys are saying sounds like good advice. It always helps to make things a little more difficult in practice than you expect it to be in competition (practicing at 30 yards for a 20 yard indoor shoot, for example). And unsupported just sounds fun to me, too.
"...just smash your piano, and invoke the glory-beaming banjo!" ~Mark Twain

I use a bipod on my CZ Varmint, because I'm a leftie, and it's more accurate that way. And accurate is fun. Using a right-handed bolt gun from a bipod is SO nice, as the left hand stays in position while the right hand works the bolt.

My offhand rifle, a Winchester 1885 in 22LR, has no bipod, and is shot standing.

I have one target gun that gets the UK-ish double-point target sling (and weighs 13 lbs), and a 204 Ruger No. 1 with a heavy barrel and a bipod.

Variety is the spice of life - but I will NEVER use a rear bag. :D
"We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo.

For cleaning rods, 42" for .17-.20 caliber and a bore guide for CZ 455.
Yes on practicing unsupported. If you need or want buy a sling for the rifle and practice using the sling as support when shooting.

Attachments
IMG_6631.JPG
IMG_6632.JPG